Menu

Genetics is a strange thing.

Kinsa

On Facebook, I just saw a picture of my cousin's grandson, probably 8 years old or so.

The child is the spitting image of my father. It's uncanny. And a bit unsettling. (Lol)

My father would be this boy's great-great-uncle. My father's sister was this boy's great-grandmother.

The genetics are strong, even several generations out. So strange.

I agree!  It's really fascinating.  I found a picture of my grandmother when she was young, high-school age, and it was uncanny how similar we looked!  (Unfortunately, she didn't age well!  ðŸ˜³)  I also think it's interesting how my dd's, at certain ages, looked like me at those ages but not at other ages.  And how two of my dd's look very, very much like me (people comment on it all the time) but they don't look like each other.

I found a photo of a distant but blood-related relative in Norwegian history books, and thought my ds looked so much like him! 

I've noticed that even outside families, there are certain kinds of faces that you see often.  Like, there are say 20 kinds of lips, and maybe one type you often see with a particular nose or chin. 

I've wondered at times if there is some connection - maybe a regional one, or some other explanation.

I've noticed that even outside families, there are certain kinds of faces that you see often.  Like, there are say 20 kinds of lips, and maybe one type you often see with a particular nose or chin. 

I've wondered at times if there is some connection - maybe a regional one, or some other explanation.

Yes! I love that.

I've noticed that even outside families, there are certain kinds of faces that you see often. Like, there are say 20 kinds of lips, and maybe one type you often see with a particular nose or chin.

So bizarre, but I was just thinking along these lines, just a few minutes ago when I was in the shower. I was pondering how a woman at my church resembles a certain actress...which led me to recall other people with similar features, which led to the wondering if it was some common genetic/regional shared ancestry. Then, lo and behold, I get on the Hive and it's in current discussion. Weird.

I've often wondered about this. It seems like there are certain kinds of faces you see over and over again. I've fantasized about having access to a large database of faces, just so I could find examples of different types. (I like studying people and patterns...)

One of my ears is noticeably higher than the other.   It is a problem with glasses because when I take them off people are always trying to "adjust them straight" for me, making them break too soon.  It isn't anything people notice unless they know to look for it.  I saw a photo of my mother's beloved grandfather who died shortly before I was born.  He was looking straight at the camera.  His same ear was higher by the same amount, it was freaky.  

I've often wondered about this. It seems like there are certain kinds of faces you see over and over again. I've fantasized about having access to a large database of faces, just so I could find examples of different types. (I like studying people and patterns...)

I read a book once that talked about these patterns a little, but with no explanation. It was about drawing faces and figures.  It also had some examples of the different types of various features and said that by noticing and learning to draw these types, it became easier to draw people well  and quickly.

I'm sure some is regional.  I have a friend with a distinctive nose, and I came to find out that everyone in her mom's village has that nose, though usually larger.  And I see the same nose in old drawings of people from the same ethnic background.

It's definitely strange. All the women on my mom's side of the family look incredibly alike. It's like the men contributed nothing with their genes. :P

Also, dd has a genetic disorder, but it doesn't really affect her much except she has trouble saying certain sounds. Some of the other kids missing the exact same set of genes are nonverbal, severely disabled, and occasionally have feeding tubes. I look forward to the day science figures out how the heck something like that can happen (and can then hopefully fix it).

Yes! I've seen photos of my cousin's grandchild (and I never even met my cousin's children let alone grandchildren) and thought "he looks so much like a (our last name)". Dh's side of the family has such strong physical characteristics it's a family joke anytime someone is pregnant that the baby will look like his side of the family. Ddil is thrilled that one of their two boys actually looks a bit like her. :)

My grandfather, brother, and dad all have NO sense of direction. All them of them have gotten lost on the way home from work, in houses and towns they lived in their whole lives. It's like the navigation systems in their brains don't work. GPS and cell phones have revolutionized my family. 

Yes! My cousin's son looks just like my dad. I guess he would be my dad's great nephew. The weird thing is that none of my cousins look anything like me or my siblings.

My dad looks a lot like a distant relative too. I'm not even sure what the relation is but there is a 100+ year age difference. It was the weirdest thing discovering that picture.

I just told my kids that I wanted to start keeping a list of people who look alike and/or look like people I know. They thought I was strange. But it's so fascinating.

It's definitely strange. All the women on my mom's side of the family look incredibly alike. It's like the men contributed nothing with their genes. :P

We joke about that with my husband's side of the family. All of our kids strongly resemble me and my side of the family. Our niece resembles her dad's side of her family. We joke that the (our last name) genes must not be very strong.

This is a fun and interesting thread! I often wonder if certain physical traits are frequently associated with particular personality traits. I seem to find that people who look alike or have similar physical traits (but are not related) also have similar personalities.

This is a fun and interesting thread! I often wonder if certain physical traits are frequently associated with particular personality traits. I seem to find that people who look alike or have similar physical traits (but are not related) also have similar personalities.

Or physical traits that go with other physical traits. I have a friend who looks amazingly like the actress Megan Fox and she has brachydactyly as does Megan. 

I have a large extended family from both of my parents, and we see this play out in some really weird ways too. There are some really amazing likenesses even among descendants of half-siblings.

My son looks so much like my grandfather that when we'd visit him in the nursing home (from out of state), the workers at the nursing home would take one look at my son and say, "Your grandfather is right down this hall." We didn't even have to say who we were or that we were looking for him in particular. 

There is a lady at church that looks just like her dad, and her daughter and grand-daughter resemble her strongly also. So four generations of the same eyes, eyebrow, nose, and mouth. Very distinct. There is a portrait from the late 1700's in a regional history book of a man that looks just like this woman at church. Just put her hair on him, and it's her face in that book--it jumps right off the page. Low and behold, this portrait is of a man with the same last name as her maiden name. I keep wanting to ask if she is descended from him. I am sure she'd know if she is--he was a territorial governor in the late 1700's. 

My middle son and my dad's 5th cousin's granddaughter look startlingly alike.  So much alike that you have to look twice to be sure which kid is in the picture.  Neither of those kids look particularly like anyone else currently alive in that part of the family, but obviously there must be someone they look like.  My dad and his 5th cousin, when they sit relaxed in a chair, sit the same way and fold their hands together the exact same way.  No one noticed until looking at several pictures from the day they met.

Genetics are really weird.

Of my own kids, I have two pairs who are each very different from the other pair, take after different sides of the family in their looks, and share an incredible variety of traits with their similar sibling. I sometimes call them my 'German babies' (dd 8 & ds 4) and my 'Hispanic babies' (dd6 & ds2). They share similar personalities, sleeping patterns, tastes in food, physical skill aptitudes, metabolisms, senses of humor, allergies, etc., all while being polar opposites from the other two.

My parents lived half a country away from us, and even though we did our best, we only saw them every 12 to 18 months, and then only for a week, or two if they came to us. All in all, my kids just didn't spend much time with my parents.

I'm much more like my dad than like my mom, my mannerisms and speech cadence are like his, and my fingers look like his fingers, too.

When my mom (M____) passed away after living her last few years in a different state with my brother, a lady from their large church approached me at the memorial service and asked if I was M____'s daughter. I said I was; and, honestly, it was pretty obvious, since I had been hanging out close to my dad most of the evening. 

She then pointed out my daughter across the gym from me and said, "Now that's M_____'s grand-daughter, too, right? I knew the minute I laid eyes on her that she must be M_______'s g-dtr, because she looks like her, talks like her, leans into a conversation just like M, and laughs with people exactly like M did. Is she your daughter or your brother's?"  :lol:

I've noticed that even outside families, there are certain kinds of faces that you see often. Like, there are say 20 kinds of lips, and maybe one type you often see with a particular nose or chin.

There's a certain set of lips that goes with a certain nose that is very English. Whenever I see it I know the person is English just from looking at them. I feel oddly comforted when I see that combination, as if I'm seeing an old friend.

There's a certain set of lips that goes with a certain nose that is very English. Whenever I see it I know the person is English just from looking at them. I feel oddly comforted when I see that combination, as if I'm seeing an old friend.

Can you find a picture example? I'm curious!

My husband's family is German on both sides and you can tell - strong, square jaws, heavier browbones, literal thick skin (mine is almost transluscent compared to my husband's) and bigger, more distinct noses. They all just *look* German! And my kids also look very much like their dad, each one of them. My genes hardly seem to factor into it. It's like all my traits are recessive and all theirs are dominant :lol:

This weird thing on pinterest showed up and it was photos of women that had been mixed. Let me check my memory...I think it read that the photographer took many photos of women from each country. WIthin each country's photos that he took, he mixed the looks. I found it on youtube also.

How can it be...there are varying looks but as you go along looking at the next one, the women look like the ones next to them in most cases and IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pFjBoyB184

My eldest son looks like his great-grandfather, all the paternal lines. Shape of face. No one else has this look. But another of my sons has the exact chin of that great-grandfather that no one else in the family has carried, out of many cousins.

Two of our children, a boy and a girl, look like dh's maternal aunt, but especially the girl. Skin tone, nose, shape of face, hair.

I look a bit like my paternal female cousin, our dads are brothers. Our eye shape and high cheekbones are very similar.

We don't know where some of our kids get their looks, it doesn't seem to be from either of us although people will say the one girl looks just like me (her eyes are wide-set like mine), and as another girl ages, they say she also looks like me. I don't see it.

I have blue eyes and only one of our kids, out of 7, has blue eyes. The rest have brown, green/grey/blue and hazel. 

I think as they age, we begin to see who they look like. The blue-eyed son is starting to look like my dad. My brother looks so much like my dad that a few weeks after my dad passed away, my brother answered my mom's door, mom's friend at the door was VERY startled and she squeaked. Poor woman.

I have a very old photo of my great-grandfather, maternal grandmother's father, and something about him looks like my other brother. I cannot place what it is, and everyone agrees that their looks are very similar. IT'S FREAKY!

Meanwhile, people still accuse me of being my sister. LOL

I used to have strangers approach randomly and ask me if I was *mom's name*'s daughter. These we're usually co-workers of my mom or friends she hadn't seen in awhile. They had never met me but knew my parents had many children. They would say I looked and sounded so much like her.

Once at Goodwill I heard someone say, " is that *mom's name* I hear in the other isle." They then came over to look. She ended up being my mom's friend that I hadn't seen in years but we knew each other immediately. I was quite impressed that she could just hear my voice and hear my mom in it.

My voice is so much like my mothers that only Dad and DH can tell us apart by voice.  When I was a teenager I used to screen all calls for my parents by pretending to be my mom.   If it was a real person I'd stop the conversation, tell my mother what had been said, and then she'd continue with the phone call as if it had been her all along.  With most things you would think that a child would naturally pick up some things from the parents that raised them.  But voices never sound to yourself like to do others.  

My girls have 6 older bio siblings. We got together with 4 of them last fall. That made 6 young adults, my 2 and 2 brothers raised together, other 2 girls in other homes, 5 different birth fathers, never met before, and there was a clear line 3 and 3 with looks, body build, etc.

My son had not seen his bio brother in 11+ years (since they were 5&7) and the similarities were amazing. Not only did they look so much alike my sister got them.mixed up but their mannerisms, Likes/dislikes, etc were so similar.

One of the other interesting things I've noticed is that many teens and young adults do not look much like their parents, when they are young adults and their parents are, for example, in their 40s to 50s.   But give those kids 30 years, so that I'm now comparing them in early to middle age with my memory of their parents at the same age -- whee!  There's often a striking resemblance, in spite of clothing and hairstyle differences.

My voice is so much like my mothers that only Dad and DH can tell us apart by voice. When I was a teenager I used to screen all calls for my parents by pretending to be my mom. If it was a real person I'd stop the conversation, tell my mother what had been said, and then she'd continue with the phone call as if it had been her all along. With most things you would think that a child would naturally pick up some things from the parents that raised them. But voices never sound to yourself like to do others.

My mom and I look a bit alike, but we sound almost identical. It's funny because people can always tell we are related by that feature alone, even though I haven't lived with her or even been in the same state in years and years.

My cousin, a female, looks a LOT like my dad.  So much so that when she came to visit me at a friend's house, my friend said, "Wow, she looks like your dad!"

I was adopted, so I don't look like any of them.

Yeah for the longest time everyone joked that my younger kid must not be related to us. Then one day I came across a picture of some distant relative and they looked shockingly alike!

Something similar happened to me. We always said our youngest looked more like a mix of me and DH, whereas my oldest child looks extremely similar to me. But then I saw a photo of DH fooling around at his brother's birthday party when he was around 10yo. It was like my son had time-traveled and there he was, back in 1973! Even the "bunny ears" thing he was doing was just like something my son would do, and the impish smile on his face. It was amazing.

I said up thread how dh's family seems to have strong genes, and I remembered something that happened about  6 or 7 years ago. Ds and I were at one of those seasonal Halloween stores and he came up behind me and tapped me on the shoulder. When I turned around he had a mask on and all I could see were his eyes and mouth. I immediately saw dss at the same age. I didn't realize how much they looked alike until that moment. Different mothers. Same father.

My grandfather, brother, and dad all have NO sense of direction. All them of them have gotten lost on the way home from work, in houses and towns they lived in their whole lives. It's like the navigation systems in their brains don't work. GPS and cell phones have revolutionized my family.

I watched a documentary a week or so ago about a woman with absolutely no sense of direction. She could even get lost in her own home. She had developmental topographical disorientation and it ran in her family. There's a website about it too https://www.gettinglost.ca.

My middle son looks identical to his Great Great Grandmothers brother. Like identical they could pass for twins I've shown people his picture and they asked me what app I used to make the old time looking picture. It's extremely strange.

And my oldest son looks exactly like his Grandfather when I first saw a picture of Papaw D in his mother's Albums I commented that I didn't remember that picture of my son. She said that's my son not yours hahaha. So I couldn't even tell them apart. My son who was never around said Grandfather walks like him has the same humor and different things that you would think a person needs to spend time around to pick up but I'm convinced certain things are passed through genes.Genetics are so interesting. It's truly amazing to see just how strong certain genes are in families. My oldest daughter who has never seen her great grandmother more than a handful of times acts exactly like her,dances like she did, jokes like she did, laughs like she did and other odd things that make you wonder just how much is passed through genes.

My middle son looks identical to his Great Great Grandmothers brother. Like identical they could pass for twins I've shown people his picture and they asked me what app I used to make the old time looking picture. It's extremely strange.

And my oldest son looks exactly like his Grandfather when I first saw a picture of Papaw D in his mother's Albums I commented that I didn't remember that picture of my son. She said that's my son not yours hahaha. So I couldn't even tell them apart. My son who was never around said Grandfather walks like him has the same humor and different things that you would think a person needs to spend time around to pick up but I'm convinced certain things are passed through genes.Genetics are so interesting. It's truly amazing to see just how strong certain genes are in families. My oldest daughter who has never seen her great grandmother more than a handful of times acts exactly like her,dances like she did, jokes like she did, laughs like she did and other odd things that make you wonder just how much is passed through genes.

It is fascinating;

Especially given that a child generally gets 50% of a parent's DNA, and every step removed from that cuts the amount approximate in half. So they might share 12.5% or so of a great-grandparent's DNA, 6.5% for a great-great grandparent, and only about half of that for the sibling if a great-great grandparent.

My voice is so much like my mothers that only Dad and DH can tell us apart by voice. When I was a teenager I used to screen all calls for my parents by pretending to be my mom.

My dd and I sound so much alike that my own mother sometimes asks me who I am when I call 🙄ðŸ˜

It is fascinating;

Especially given that a child generally gets 50% of a parent's DNA, and every step removed from that cuts the amount approximate in half. So they might share 12.5% or so of a great-grandparent's DNA, 6.5% for a great-great grandparent, and only about half of that for the sibling if a great-great grandparent.

Yes you get 50% of your gene from each parent... But you would see/experience a caring percent of those genes in the features /mannerisms etc. of the person because you would see the dominant genes. And then the percent you received from each game parent is not guaranteed to be 25% at all, it is likely somewhat close to that in theory, but could be a random amount. And again, it would be basically the dominant genes you see.

All the of my girls look a lot alike. They are easy 2 years apart, but have all been mixed up by people. For the baby and toddler pictures, I hate to admit it, but I have to often remember the details of the picture, or look for other clues to tell them apart. Not as big of a problem with the pictures as they get older but I think that is more clues in the picture usually. There are obviously some pretty strong genes that they all inherited.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Can you find a picture example? I'm curious!

My husband's family is German on both sides and you can tell - strong, square jaws, heavier browbones, literal thick skin (mine is almost transluscent compared to my husband's) and bigger, more distinct noses. They all just *look* German! And my kids also look very much like their dad, each one of them. My genes hardly seem to factor into it. It's like all my traits are recessive and all theirs are dominant :lol:

This reminds me of a funny my smart-aleck DD said a month or so ago. It started out with a conversation about different education models in different countries and DD, the quick-witted comedienne, remarking that "maybe Finland is further ahead because they're closer to the Fin(n)ish line." My niece said she wished she could think that quickly for witty remarks, and I told DN that DD definitely gets it from her Dad. DD goes on to make a joking remark about my genes being recessive genes (she is the spitting image of me and my Mom) so I said "Hey now! You get your beauty from me!", to which she instantly replies "Yeah, like I said - recessive genes!" :lol: Little turd.

It really has nothing to do with this conversation, but it still makes me giggle when I think of it.

I have two older sisters. We have always been told we look alike, but as we've aged it seems to be even more obvious, as we now get asked if we are twins. Growing up I always heard "you look just like your mother," so apparently the genes on my mom's side are strong. A cousin on my mom's side who is the age of my sisters attended my wedding, and several people commented when they saw her that they didn't know I had another sister.

Now I have a son who gets the "you look just like your mother" thing all the time. Poor kid!

When my son was younger, he looked exactly like my husband. There was difficulty telling his baby pictures from my husbands and one of my brother in law's. Around the age of 14 or so, he started resembling my brother. Now we have to look at photos really closely to see if they are my son or pictures of my brother in his younger years (my brother resembles our father, I resemble our mother). He flipped from looking like one side of the family to the other. 

This reminds me of a funny my smart-aleck DD said a month or so ago. It started out with a conversation about different education models in different countries and DD, the quick-witted comedienne, remarking that "maybe Finland is further ahead because they're closer to the Fin(n)ish line." My niece said she wished she could think that quickly for witty remarks, and I told DN that DD definitely gets it from her Dad. DD goes on to make a joking remark about my genes being recessive genes (she is the spitting image of me and my Mom) so I said "Hey now! You get your beauty from me!", to which she instantly replies "Yeah, like I said - recessive genes!" :lol: Little turd.

It really has nothing to do with this conversation, but it still makes me giggle when I think of it.

Going on a tangent.  After the thread here on the Finnish system was old, I read that at any given time 1/3 of the kids are in tutoring.   I remember offering free tutoring when I was a high school teacher.  No one took me up on it.  No one.  We'd have to have a situation where the students/parents cared enough about not failing to go along with that system.  

What I find interesting is that my sons walk like their dad. They didn't have to study him to walk like him. Turns out, my mom says my nephew also walks like his dad. It's like genetics says, "you have this body type and you must walk this way."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived