Menu

What's the last book you read aloud to your kids, and how old were they?

madteaparty

I'm currently reading two on going books-the entire Narnia series during morning time and the entire Harry Potter series during bedtime. I also read picture books to my youngest whenever she brings them to me. My kids are 12, 9, and 6. Foster son is only 10 months, but he listens in when he's awake lol.

Mine is going to school at 14, too. So I have a bucket list going. Ă°Å¸ËœÂ©

I've been thinking about a bucket list too, in case we decide to send dd to school full time. She currently attends part-time and will continue to do so next year, so I know RAs will fit well for at least another year. But I'm not sure how things will go the year after that. I think I really do need to start that list!

Huck Finn, 15. Kid had to get 'er done in three days so I read part aloud, which helped him get the rhythm and allowed me to explain some of the culture. Assorted poetry till end of high school.

I read to the 10th grader as the start of our day, and plan to continue until he graduates. I have been working off a mental list of books that just never seem to fit neatly into a class. 

ETA: Sometimes I throw in something short like the Orwell essay. And we did An Illustrated Book of Bad Arguments earlier this year, which was great fun.

Edited by Penguin
  • Like 2

I mostly stop reading aloud when they can themselves read (but I am still reading to the younger ones, and the olders often listen in).  I don't read chapter books aloud, generally speaking.  We do listen to books together in the car.

I love to read aloud (I would love a career that just involved reading to kids!  how fun) but

A. there is just not enough time in my day right now, with 6 kids and the business.  I spend my homeschooling alotted time explaining math and science and talking about books, generally.

B. I feel weird reading aloud to kids who can read.  I used to hate being read to when I could read the book faster myself.

Oh, but I didn't answer the question.  Generally the last books I am reading aloud to a kid are Henry and Mudge or Frog and Toad.  By Magic Tree House they can read to themselves and do.  (thank god, as I couldn't stand reading those aloud).  Henry and Mudge is really fun to read.

Let's see...we read a picture book titled Kapow at breakfast. They loved it.

We just started reading The Blue Fairy Book and a Digby O'Day book. We read an Alfie and Annie Rose book yesterday as well as How to Make an Apple Pie and See the World. There were a bunch of other picture books yesterday too. 

FWIW, our kids are 6.5, 5, 3.5, and a 3 mo.

Dd10 (almost 11) - The Three Musketeers

Dd14 - Yesterday I just finished reading aloud a book for science, The Serengeti Rules.  We usually have a nonfiction readaloud going, not sure what will come next. We're reading Henry V aloud together, each taking different characters. We love to read Shakespeare together that way. I don't read a lot of lit/fiction aloud anymore, although sometimes I'll read a short story aloud. We are also listening to Paradise Lost together, the audio version.

Funny story: I was reading aloud The Miller's Tale from Canterbury Tales, and she wanted me to stop - it was embarrassing for her to have me read all the bawdy bits and dirty words aloud (it was an unexpurgated version). She didn't mind reading them to herself, but something about Mom reading aloud about the s&x bits was too much for her.

• Like 1

We just finished Watership Down. My kids thought it was different reading about fighting bunny rabbits, but it was good. We watched the cartoon on Amazon when we were done (they had heard it described as a horror movie).

We are reading Pollyanna now. The kids begged me not to, but I can tell they are getting into it; They keep getting so mad at Aunt Polly!

Mine are 16, 14, and 11. I take milk and snacks into my boys room in the morning before they get out of bed and my 16yo girl joins us there. We have our readings before anything else.

• Like 1

We just finished Watership Down. My kids thought it was different reading about fighting bunny rabbits, but it was good. We watched the cartoon on Amazon when we were done (they had heard it described as a horror movie).

We are reading Pollyanna now. The kids begged me not to, but I can tell they are getting into it; They keep getting so mad at Aunt Polly!

Mine are 16, 14, and 11. I take milk and snacks into my boys room in the morning before they get out of bed and my 16yo girl joins us there. We have our readings before anything else.

That sounds like my SIL. She read WAtership Down because she wanted to read a book about boats. She thought the rabbits on the cover were symbolical.

• Like 1

Does reading Shakespeare plays together count? In that case, our last read aloud for the oldest 2 has been Romeo & Juliet at about 12 yrs old. If it has to be me reading aloud a novel, then the last book for both of them was Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry at about 10 yrs old. Once they hit middle school, they just weren't interested in listening to books anymore; reading aloud is just too slow for them. They seem to have happy, fuzzy memories of those years, though, because they always talk fondly about the books we read together.

For the younger kids,we just finished reading aloud Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and now we're starting The Hobbit.

We just finished Strawberry Girl and Winter Danger. Now we're into The Twenty-One Balloons and Swift Rivers (10&8).

My other two listen in to the longer books and go through large stacks of picture books. A notable choice this week is the new picture book biography on J.R.R. Tolkien: John Ronald's Dragons.  :001_wub:

https://www.amazon.com/John-Ronalds-Dragons-Story-Tolkien/dp/1626720924/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1491577489&sr=8-1&keywords=john+ronald%27s+dragons

Edited by Zuzu822
  • Like 1

I haven't read to my youngest since last school year. We read the entire Narnia series out loud. My oldest listened in.

This year, my youngest is reading Harry Potter alone. He's 12, but it's the first time ever I have gotten him to be willing to read on his own. Thank you Ms. Rowlings!

I read my youngest's science and history book out loud to him.

For my oldest (14), we have read some of his literature out loud together for 9th grade. We read 6 short Russian stories, we read "The Little World of Don Camillo" last month--each chapter in the book is its own complete short story, and this month we're reading, "Picnic at Hanging Rock" together. The other books he read this year, he read on his own.

The reason I'm reading these out loud is that they're short stories (except Picnic, which is a relatively short novel) and we enjoy being able to pause and discuss the stories right in the middle of reading them. It's not as much fun reading them alone and then coming together to discuss. For the longer books, there was no way I could read them out loud (time constraints and my voice would have given out---The Three Musketeers is 600 pages long and so is Don Quixote!).

Edited by Garga
  • Like 1

I haven't read to my youngest since last school year. We read the entire Narnia series out loud. My oldest listened in.

This year, my youngest is reading Harry Potter alone. He's 12, but it's the first time ever I have gotten him to be willing to read on his own. Thank you Ms. Rowlings!

I read my youngest's science and history book out loud to him.

For my oldest (14), we have read some of his literature out loud together for 9th grade. We read 6 short Russian stories, we read "The Little World of Don Camillo" last month and this month we're reading, "Picnic at Hanging Rock" together. The other books he read this year, he read on his own. The reason I'm reading these three out loud is that they're short and we enjoy being able to pause and discuss the books right in the middle of reading them. It's not as much fun reading them alone and then coming together to discuss. For the longer books, there was no way I could read them out loud (time constraints and my voice would have given out---The Three Musketeers is 600 pages long!).

You know, JK Rowlings and I disagree about many things, but I think Harry Potter had such a massive effect on children's literature, including just the ability to get kids to like reading (and for nerd-dom and reading to be cool) that you could probably say children's lit before HP and children's lit after.  At the time they came out I read them but thought they were unlikely to stand the test of time (as did Harold Bloom, hah); I admit now that I was 100% wrong.

There are many kids for whom HP is the first time they're willing to read for pleasure.  My sister was one.

• Like 3

You know, JK Rowlings and I disagree about many things, but I think Harry Potter had such a massive effect on children's literature, including just the ability to get kids to like reading (and for nerd-dom and reading to be cool) that you could probably say children's lit before HP and children's lit after. At the time they came out I read them but thought they were unlikely to stand the test of time (as did Harold Bloom, hah); I admit now that I was 100% wrong.

There are many kids for whom HP is the first time they're willing to read for pleasure. My sister was one.

This is soooo true. I loved reading as a kid, so I had a huge collection of children's books just waiting to share with my kids. Tried and true tested books that kids have loved throughout the years, in an assortment of difficulty levels.

But none of them, none, clicked. Oh, they were fine if I read to them, but if I handed them a book, any book, they were meh about it and wouldn't read unless I forced them to and then they'd tell me it was boring. Everything was boring.

Harry Potter books cracked the door of reading open for my oldest. He doesn't pick up books on his own, but after HP he finally said, "I like reading." When I tell him to read now, he's happy to, though, as I said, he doesn't seek out books.

And the same thing happened for the youngest. In August of this year he haaaated reading. And now, he says he likes reading and he will sometimes even read past the 30 minutes I require of him each day. Not always, but sometimes.

It's not perfect, but it was a big step for us and one that made my book-loving heart sing.

You are so right that there is Children's Lit before HP and Children's Lit after HP.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 2

I just finished reading Wonder to my 13 year old dd.  It's been on our TBR list for a while but we never got around to it until now.  We both loved it.  

We're starting The Adventures of Tom Sawyer today.  Should be fun  :001_smile:

SaveSave

Edited by jjeepa
  • Like 1

We just finished To Kill A Mockingbird with 10, 12, and 14 year olds. I just didn't use the word *ape. I just said he was accused of beating her. It was a great read aloud! We are listening to The Incorrigible Children of Ashton place series in the car. We've been through it a few times and are anxiously awaiting the final book in the fall!

I am reading Henry and Mudge books with my 8-year-old son. I love them so much!

I have been reading Farmer Boy with my 8-year-old daughter off-and-on but she is choosing to read Dork Diaries to herself some of the time, which I am fine with. I don't think is means she is done with me reading to her, she just wants to read these books privately for now. I did stuff like that when I was her age, too.

My kids have never read, or listened to Harry Potter. They have no interest, I have no idea why. The first book of the series is on the shelf. They have read, or listened to almost ever other series recommended for fans of Harry Potter. But ZERO interest in Harry Potter. I personally don't read outloud books that are part of long series. (With the exception of Droon) unless I am co-reading it with a boy, as in you read a chapter - I'll read a chapter. 

The series that turned Eldest into a reader was, "Droon" by Tony Abbott. 

Now, the series seems to be working magic on Youngest. Before now the only chapter books he would read to himself without bribing or requiring it were short simple minecraft themed diary books - and that was only for a 3 week period before Christmas. Even then he only read them because I have a, "I will not read minecraft books" rule. 

He never tired to read the Droon series because at first he couldn't. And then it was because he had already heard his brother discussing it, me reading it outloud, Dh reading it outloud, and letters and posters from the author. So he already knew the books inside and out. But that was in 2013. He picked up the first book in the series on Tuesday, and is already on book 7. He said, "This is the first book I ever enjoyed reading".

For us, Droon is magic. 

What I like about the series, compared to other books is that it starts at a very easy light level. The first book, according to Accelerated reader is at a grade 2.9 level and is only 80 pages long. In the 43 book long series the complexity of the books grows, as does the length of the books. It is also wonderfully written. The author is also a great author to write to. He sent my boys a signed promotional pamphlet containing a map of Droon. 

All the characters have depth - even the bad guys have a detailed back story. Some books are also written from the bad guys perspective. You find out why they are they way they are. Some bad guys become good guys. As long as the series is, I didn't mind reading it out loud, neither did my husband. 

The only reason I don't recommend it to people is the series is 43 books long, and needs to be read in order. Also, to my knowledge, at least in 2013 all the books were out of print and had been for some time. So it is not an easy series to simple get your hands on. Living in Canada, I could only find some of the books used for sale in the USA and the shipping cost can be insane. I remember one book the library didn't have, would have cost me $50 dollars with shipping. Happily the author Tony Abbott sent us an autographed copy. :) 

• Like 3

I don't remember what the last book was. They were both in high school, probably 17 & 15 years old. We loved reading together and would have continued until they left, but schedules became too difficult. We couldn't get everyone in the same place at the same time regularly enough to enjoy a book and get through it in a timely way.

My kids have never read, or listened to Harry Potter. They have no interest, I have no idea why. The first book of the series is on the shelf. They have read, or listened to almost ever other series recommended for fans of Harry Potter. But ZERO interest in Harry Potter. I personally don't read outloud books that are part of long series. (With the exception of Droon) unless I am co-reading it with a boy, as in you read a chapter - I'll read a chapter. 

The series that turned Eldest into a reader was, "Droon" by Tony Abbott. 

Now, the series seems to be working magic on Youngest. Before now the only chapter books he would read to himself without bribing or requiring it were short simple minecraft themed diary books - and that was only for a 3 week period before Christmas. Even then he only read them because I have a, "I will not read minecraft books" rule. 

He never tired to read the Droon series because at first he couldn't. And then it was because he had already heard his brother discussing it, me reading it outloud, Dh reading it outloud, and letters and posters from the author. So he already knew the books inside and out. But that was in 2013. He picked up the first book in the series on Tuesday, and is already on book 7. He said, "This is the first book I ever enjoyed reading".

For us, Droon is magic. 

What I like about the series, compared to other books is that it starts at a very easy light level. The first book, according to Accelerated reader is at a grade 2.9 level and is only 80 pages long. In the 43 book long series the complexity of the books grows, as does the length of the books. It is also wonderfully written. The author is also a great author to write to. He sent my boys a signed promotional pamphlet containing a map of Droon. 

All the characters have depth - even the bad guys have a detailed back story. Some books are also written from the bad guys perspective. You find out why they are they way they are. Some bad guys become good guys. As long as the series is, I didn't mind reading it out loud, neither did my husband. 

The only reason I don't recommend it to people is the series is 43 books long, and needs to be read in order. Also, to my knowledge, at least in 2013 all the books were out of print and had been for some time. So it is not an easy series to simple get your hands on. Living in Canada, I could only find some of the books used for sale in the USA and the shipping cost can be insane. I remember one book the library didn't have, would have cost me $50 dollars with shipping. Happily the author Tony Abbott sent us an autographed copy. :)

I love this post!  Droon sounds awesome!

I am rereading LotR with my older two (younger ones listening in) and have recently started Wolves of Willoughby Chase with all of them. Oldest is almost 14.

And it occurs to me that I will be reading LotR aloud at least 2 if not 3 more times. I wonder how many months of my life will have been devoted to Tolkien till I'm done.

• Like 1

Droon doesn't appear to be out of print anymore. They are even available on kindle.  Thanks for the recommendation. I might try it with my kids. 

Droon doesn't appear to be out of print anymore. They are even available on kindle.  Thanks for the recommendation. I might try it with my kids.

I did see some available on kindle. Hopefully all of them are.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Secrets_of_Droon#/editor/0

At first I just thought it would be an ordinary series. But it just got better and better.

I did see some available on kindle. Hopefully all of them are.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Secrets_of_Droon#/editor/0

At first I just thought it would be an ordinary series. But it just got better and better.

I was a big nerd and just checked.  They are all there. There are 36 books listed on the author's website + 8 special edition books. (That are arranged chronologically throughout the series so perhaps they were renumbered at some point?)  There is also a pfd checklist and a timeline :)

I am rereading LotR with my older two (younger ones listening in) and have recently started Wolves of Willoughby Chase with all of them. Oldest is almost 14.

And it occurs to me that I will be reading LotR aloud at least 2 if not 3 more times. I wonder how many months of my life will have been devoted to Tolkien till I'm done.

Meriwether -- oh, you'll never be done with Tolkien and reading aloud! At least, it is to be hoped not! :) We read aloud the trilogy multiple times while DSs were growing up, and last year I taught a year long middle school and high school Lit. & Comp classes on Lord of the Rings. DS#1 was away at college and asked me to send him the trilogy so he could read along with me during the week, and then on the weekends he would video chat with me and we'd each read aloud our favorite passage from the chapters I covered in class that week. :)

Edited by Lori D.