Menu

What's the last book you read aloud to your kids, and how old were they?

madteaparty

I am currently reading the Septamus Heap series with DS, who is 12. We trade turns, though; he reads aloud for a while and then I do.

ETA: typo

Edited by Quill
  • Like 1

I don't have a clue but I mostly read school stuff to him. Dh was the one who did night time read-alouds. The last book dh read aloud to him was the 7th Harry Potter book. By then he was more than old enough to read it himself (though I don't remember how old) but he had been reading the whole series to ds so it was only right that they finished it aloud together.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 1

My kids are 10, and I'm reading The Wheel on the School.  Their teacher recently read them Number the Stars.  We're also listening to The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes on audiobook.

I think reading aloud will continue for at least another year or two.  It depends on our schedule more than anything else.

• Like 1

We read the Bible, Bible stories, missionary stories, or other Christian literature every night before bed. It's good for me as well as my daughter! I have learned a lot more about the Old Testament, which I don't know as well as I should.

• Like 2

We do tons of read alouds--we make it a point to snuggle and read after lunch (even though I have one who is not so keen on snuggling anymore, lol.) Last week we finished Peter Pan. Coming soon we have The Hiding Place. Not sure what's actually up next--I should check the schedule.

Then at night we spend the last 30+ minutes of the night snuggling and reading our own thing. Of course, the same kid is weaning off that too  :crying:

• Like 1

Just finished Island of the Blue Dolphins and am currently reading Cheaper by the Dozen with dd (12yo).

I only read with ds1 until 14yo and ds2 until 12yo when they both went to school full time. But they listened to a lot of audiobooks in the car as teens and dd doesn't care for them at all.

• Like 1

Just finished Island of the Blue Dolphins and am currently reading Cheaper by the Dozen with dd (12yo).

I only read with ds1 until 14yo and ds2 until 12yo when they both went to school full time. But they listened to a lot of audiobooks in the car as teens and dd doesn't care for them at all.

Mine is going to school at 14, too. So I have a bucket list going. 😩
  • Like 1

I was just reading, BrotherBand book 6, "Ghostfaces" to Youngest. 

Before that I read, you'll never guess, BrotherBand book 5....

I do keep a record of the various books read in our house. Simple because I couldn't note ever single little picture book, I made the cut-off of an hour. As in, if the book takes an hour or so to read, then it goes on my list. I also keep records of the books the boys read. 

• Like 1

Good thread. I have no idea what the last book was that we read aloud and how old they were, besides scriptures which we read usually every day together (but that's different). 

But it makes me feel sad. I mean, who says, "okay, this is the last book we'll read together aloud"? (I'm not condemning you, OP).

What a non-momentous occasion and if I were a kid I'd be thinking, "what?!! Never again!??"

Mom of the year award to anyone who is still reading with or to their teenagers. Thank you, once again, for your fine examples, hive moms.

• Like 5

Good thread. I have no idea what the last book was that we read aloud and how old they were, besides scriptures which we read usually every day together (but that's different).

But it makes me feel sad. I mean, who says, "okay, this is the last book we'll read together aloud"? (I'm not condemning you, OP).

What a non-momentous occasion and if I were a kid I'd be thinking, "what?!! Never again!??"

Mom of the year award to anyone who is still reading with or to their teenagers. Thank you, once again, for your fine examples, hive moms.

It was one of the greatest pleasures of my life.

Last summer, DS#1 and I enjoyed doing "reader's theater" aloud together of Star Wars Shakespeare. He was 24. :)

We read aloud all the way up through 12th grade, and even managed a few books into college, just for fun, because our family loves read alouds. So, no need to stop if you don't want to, and if everyone is enjoying it. :)

• Like 7

I loved teaching them, working with them, on learning how to read. My daughters have become little bookworms.

So wonderful!!!

And mine...is not. Gyah!!!

I read aloud to home for three or more hours a day from the time we starter until he was in 5th or 6th grade. His demand.

Maybe he thinks we already read All The Books. Ha

Nowadays, i read aloud mostly memoir or nonfiction that I loved and want to discuss with everyone.

I read to dh and DC (young adults).

I think we do at least one book a year this way.

You're on to something...adding dH to my audience when he's not travelling...perhaps before they go off to play overwatch ;)
  • Like 1

Still doing history read alouds with my 14 yo 8th grader. We'll finish Warriors Don't Cry (nonfiction about integration of Central High by one of the 9 students--highly recommend), and before that was Grapes of Wrath. I think we'll finish the year with Brave New World. Last read aloud with both dds (older was 16) was Pride and Prejudice last summer.

• Like 3

We're currently reading "Bridge to Terabithia." Oldest is 12. We're also listening to "The League of Beastly Dreadfuls" on audiobook.

A couple of weeks ago, I read aloud to dh while he drove.

Sometimes I'd like to stop reading aloud. Sadly, no one else here shares my opinion. :p

• Like 2

I just read Strega Nona to The Marvelous Flying Marco (yes, at midnight, lol). He's having a hard time sleeping in his new bed. He's almost 5 years old.

Prior to that (not today), I read a few pages of Gilgamesh the King to DS7. 

I read aloud some of DD15's physics book (to her), if that counts :P

• Like 2

Episode 16 of the [wonderful] Read-Aloud Revival podcast is a wonderful chat with Alice Ozma about how her dad never let there last book until the very day she went to college. Her book The Reading Promise is enjoyable but I think I enjoyed the podcast interview as much or more.

You can listen to it here if you'd like to check it out:

https://amongstlovelythings.com/12/

• Like 1

It has been several years.  For dd13, it was the last of the Sisters Grimm series.  For dd15, I think it was The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes.  Dh and I read to each girl separately because they had vastly different attention spans and needed some one on one time. 

• Like 1

Yesterday I read The Sign of the Beaver to my two 11 year old sons.  We all loved it so much, we spent the whole morning on it and finished it by noon:). Such fun. The day before we finished Little Men, which we had been reading for a few weeks. Before that, we read the Lord of the Rings books.  I also read aloud the Bible to them each day and I read history and science aloud also.  I love it.  They also read on their own though.

• Like 1

Just finished Monks and Mystics. Right before that Robin Hood.

Next up:

Swallows and Amazons

Audiobook for the car is Peter Pan right now.

Kids are 9 and 11

Swallows and Amazons is our all-time favorite read-aloud, no question.   It took  us a while to get into it, but once we did, we never looked back. Read all the rest of the books one right after the other.   I can even picture the scene the day the book clicked for us, where we were, all that stuff.

Last read-aloud, I don't remember.  Maybe it was The Metamorphosis.  I know they were deep into high school when I stopped.  And I only stopped because our schedules are too divergent now.  The other day one of my kids said "you know what I miss?  Field trips and reading aloud."  I would read to them forever if I could.

• Like 2