Menu
ATTENTION: Forums search will not work until re-indexing is completed. Please follow these instructions for search

What's with the ads?

pinkmint

Happy Update

I'm so thrilled for you!  It's great to hear you found a house and in a desirable area!  Hoping you recover quickly from your illness so you can enjoy the "fixing up" process.   :hurray:

Congratulations to you and your family! I've wondered how things were going for you and your dh's job prospects. Great time of year for moving. Not too hot yet!

I know the housing market here (remember: I'm not too far away) is INSANE. We've got friends who have been living in extended stay waiting for a chance to land a sale since...well, for about 9 months! And they finally got their house. 

I vote this thread of the week! :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

Congratulations! And what a blessing that it is in an area you thought would never be an option for you! Double YEAH!

So thrilled for you, pinkmint!!! Praying for a smooth move and many happy memories in your new home!!

Anne

Congratulations!! I am really happy for you! I am glad you guys are able to own your own house and it is not in a scary part of town.

Edited by MistyMountain

Thank you so much, all of you.

I'm so glad to be able to post a positive life update. So many of you have been a help and encouragement. A house is nice, but I must say friends may be an even better "possession"

Will your mortgage payment be cheaper than rent has been?

Tell us a few things you like about the house :)

Is it move-in ready or will you need to take care of some stuff right away?

• Like 2

Will your mortgage payment be cheaper than rent has been?

Tell us a few things you like about the house :)

Is it move-in ready or will you need to take care of some stuff right away?

Mortgage payment will be a little higher than rent. But we recently finally figured out how to get our electric bill under control (it was $300 + a month thanks to our confusion upon moving to TX how to pick a good electric provider, and is now less than 100 a month) so it just about evens out. 

What I like: the area is a big part of it  :) . The town itself, the neighborhood, everything. The street we've lived on all this time has probably 50 housing units crammed together in one block and I don't think I've ever walked to the mailbox without 1 to 10 cars passing by, often speeding. 

This new place is near a freeway, but tucked into a quiet residential street that gets almost no traffic. And there's only a handful of houses. There's breathing room. It's got 1950's and 60's ranches... not super well kept but like I said, shabby in a good way. It has character and charm. It's kind of country-fied considering that the Dallas area is not as country as people think. 

The house inside is a bit rough.... but nothing to the point of being dangerous. It's pretty dirty, the tile floor is busted up in spots, but honestly DH is extremely handy (not all guys are) and I am the one with a good "eye" so we cannot wait to put in the labor. We plan to paint it ourselves too. 

• Like 14

YES!!!!!!!!!!

I am so happy that you have such great news.  So damn happy for you. 

It sounds like heaven.   Have you moved yet?  Do the kids just love it?

What a dream come true.   

So lucky that your dh is handy.   And yes I know you have the eye.  I can't wait for you to make that house YOUR home. 

Mortgage payment will be a little higher than rent. But we recently finally figured out how to get our electric bill under control (it was $300 + a month thanks to our confusion upon moving to TX how to pick a good electric provider, and is now less than 100 a month) so it just about evens out.

Whoa. I'm in Texas too. There's a trick to choosing a good electric provider?

I know there's a website about choosing (powertochoose?) that I get overwhelmed everytime I go. But I haven't figured out how to choose! So we stick with what we got. Now I wonder if I can do better

Whoa. I'm in Texas too. There's a trick to choosing a good electric provider?

I know there's a website about choosing (powertochoose?) that I get overwhelmed everytime I go. But I haven't figured out how to choose! So we stick with what we got. Now I wonder if I can do better

PM'd you.

• Like 1

What good news!  I know how important the neighborhood is, especially with little kids.  It feels so good to move to a place where you can feel calm and safe.  And now you can get away from carpet!  I'm so happy for you :)