Menu

Meat - How to reheat?

BlsdMama

I really THOUGHT I already posted this but cannot find it!

How to reheat meat?

We are smoking pork shoulder for the wedding and pork loin.

The shoulder is shredded for pulled pork.

The loin is smoked and sliced.

Now both will go into roasters to warm again.

My question:

I fear we will scorch the pulled pork and dry out the loin.

Ideas?

DH thought about placing water in the roaster, meat in an aluminum pan and then heat.

My mom said to pour Italian dressing on the loin.  I think it will kill the smoked flavor.

Thoughts? Help?!

Do you know anyone with a sous vide attachment/circulator? You could fill a cooler with water, put the meat in plastic bags, attach the circulator and slowly warm it up. It shouldn't dry out. There's a way to rig one homemade. Let me look online and see if I can find it for you. 

Here it is: http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/04/cook-your-meat-in-a-beer-cooler-the-worlds-best-sous-vide-hack.html

Since your meat will already be cooked, figure out what temperature you want it reheated too. Fill a cooler with water roughly that temperature, seal the meat in ziplock freezer bags and immerse in the water. It will slowly reheat without drying or overcooking your meat. You should then just be able to pop it out of the bags and move to the serving trays. It's bulky but it works. I can precook steaks in the sous vide, reheat them a day or two later to the same temp in it, and then simply finish them in the pan- no one can tell I didn't make them right then. 

Here it is: http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/04/cook-your-meat-in-a-beer-cooler-the-worlds-best-sous-vide-hack.html

Since your meat will already be cooked, figure out what temperature you want it reheated too. Fill a cooler with water roughly that temperature, seal the meat in ziplock freezer bags and immerse in the water. It will slowly reheat without drying or overcooking your meat. You should then just be able to pop it out of the bags and move to the serving trays. It's bulky but it works. I can precook steaks in the sous vide, reheat them a day or two later to the same temp in it, and then simply finish them in the pan- no one can tell I didn't make them right then. 

Bingo. Meat is wonderful cooked this way as well.

I have 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts going Sous Vide (hack) at this moment. This is a cut I generally find very boring and one that tends to dry out.

Cooked via Sous Vide chicken breasts are delicious, tender, and moist. 

And steaks cooked Sous Vide and then given a quick char are steak house quality.

Bingo. Meat is wonderful cooked this way as well.

I have 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts going Sous Vide (hack) at this moment. This is a cut I generally find very boring and one that tends to dry out.

Cooked via Sous Vide chicken breasts are delicious, tender, and moist.

And steaks cooked Sous Vide and then given a quick char are steak house quality.

So true! And not to derail the thread, but I've figured out you can buy pretty cheap steaks- by no means prime, cook sous vide, finish in a smoking hot pan with butter and they will taste as good as all but the finest steak houses! Seriously. I don't know why everyone doesn't cook this way now.

So true! And not to derail the thread, but I've figured out you can buy pretty cheap steaks- by no means prime, cook sous vide, finish in a smoking hot pan with butter and they will taste as good as all but the finest steak houses! Seriously. I don't know why everyone doesn't cook this way now.

With you 100%. That is exactly how I've been finishing my steaks. I do 120 degrees (as I like rare) then finish with butter in a smoking hot pan. Delicious!

I don't have an immersion circulating machine yet, so I'm doing the hacked version. But finding it easy to keep a big enameled cast iron pot stable to temp. I've rigged a couple bamboo skewers with rubber bands and put an instant read thermometer into the water bath. A hack. But it works.

Bill

Pulled pork reheats well, in my experience.  If I don't have drippings I mix a little water into the pork, cover it tightly, and heat in a low oven.  

Loin always seems dry to me, so can't help you there.  I don't think adding dressing would help.   

With you 100%. That is exactly how I've been finishing my steaks. I do 120 degrees (as I like rare) then finish with butter in a smoking hot pan. Delicious!

I don't have an immersion circulating machine yet, so I'm doing the hacked version. But finding it easy to keep a big enameled cast iron pot stable to temp. I've rigged a couple bamboo skewers with rubber bands and put an instant read thermometer into the water bath. A hack. But it works.

Bill

I've seen Anova's go on sale a couple of times for $99 if you're ever interested in that model (it's what I have)- you might get on their email list. They send out notices. They also just developed a reusable silicone bag for sous vide!

Do you just open the bag of meat and check the internal temperature to know when it is done?

No, you set the temp of the water bath and leave the bagged meat in the bath. Because the protein would never get to a higher temp than the bath, there is a wide time latitude (which ups the convienience factor).

One could, for example. Turn a machine version to 120 degrees F, go away for 3 hours and come back to a rare steak.

Doing it the "hacked" way, I don't leave. But is people are running late, I'm not sweating over-coked meat.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

I've seen Anova's go on sale a couple of times for $99 if you're ever interested in that model (it's what I have)- you might get on their email list. They send out notices. They also just developed a reusable silicone bag for sous vide!

That Anova has to be the best value. The one I've been lusting for is the Joule by ChefSteps. So small and cute. But $200.

So far I've been trying to take pride in making a hack work beautifully. But......

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

That Anova has to be the best value. The one I've been lusting for is the Joule by ChefSteps. So small and cute. But $200.

So far I've been trying to take pride in making a hack work beautifully. But......

Bill

I really wanted the Joule! And I am a huge ChefSteps fan. It was wait listed when my dh told me to go ahead and buy, so I got the Anova for $199. I didn't know they went on sale even. Even at that I still think it was worth it for how much it saves me on cuts of meat, not to mention convenience. I think it's awesome you did a hack though. I tried using my IP like that and never could get it to work.

Do you just open the bag of meat and check the internal temperature to know when it is done?

If you google Sous Vide temperature charts you can find tables for the time and temp according to food type (you can use on veg, meat, even eggs....) and doneness. I'm on my phone or else I would attach one for you. SeriousEats and ChefSteps both have one, and I'm sure there are others.

I really wanted the Joule! And I am a huge ChefSteps fan. It was wait listed when my dh told me to go ahead and buy, so I got the Anova for $199. I didn't know they went on sale even. Even at that I still think it was worth it for how much it saves me on cuts of meat, not to mention convenience. I think it's awesome you did a hack though. I tried using my IP like that and never could get it to work.

IP?

My hack success is improved by fact that Mrs Spy Car found an enormous oval Le Cruset roaster (really big) at a thrift store for something like $7. The thing is a beauty. Looks new. Retail over $400. But it is so large I didn't know if it would get a ton of use. Until I considered a Sous Vide hack.

Being so large and thick, once I get water up to temp, I've learned that a tiny flame keeps the temp stable.

The supermarket I love to shop at here is quite interesting. It is aimed mostly at a so-called "ethnic" market: Armenians/Russians/Persians/Arabs/Latinos but is spacious, super clean, has great music piped in (but why am I the only singing along?), great produce and amazing deli, and cheap.

In the meat section lately they have been stocking a lot of cheap Fillet Mignon. This is not "prime" meat, not sure if it is even "choice" meat. It is not as fancy or as expensive as typical Fillet Mignon and less marbled. $5.99 lb. And also similar type tri-tip at $3.99.

In other words, cheap steaks. Not $20 lb rib-eyes.

But cooked Sous Vide and finished in a smoking hot pan with butter? They taste ultra-high end. I serve sliced to a very happy family.

Bill

I have the small version of this and I love it! I eat differently than my family (Wahls Protocol for MS) and hate using the microwave to reheat my frozen and refrigerated meals that I make ahead, so I purchased one of these. I plug it in 2 - 6 hours before I want to eat and my food is perfect, never burnt or dried out. I plan on traveling with it so that I have something to eat while my family makes the inevitable fast food stops. 

https://www.amazon.com/Hot-Logic-9x13-Size-Portable/dp/B06XRVPWGK/ref=sr_1_17?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1491580601&sr=1-17&keywords=hot+logic

IP?

My hack success is improved by fact that Mrs Spy Car found an enormous oval Le Cruset roaster (really big) at a thrift store for something like $7. The thing is a beauty. Looks new. Retail over $400. But it is so large I didn't know if it would get a ton of use. Until I considered a Sous Vide hack.

Being so large and thick, once I get water up to temp, I've learned that a tiny flame keeps the temp stable.

The supermarket I love to shop at here is quite interesting. It is aimed mostly at a so-called "ethnic" market: Armenians/Russians/Persians/Arabs/Latinos but is spacious, super clean, has great music piped in (but why am I the only singing along?), great produce and amazing deli, and cheap.

In the meat section lately they have been stocking a lot of cheap Fillet Mignon. This is not "prime" meat, not sure if it is even "choice" meat. It is not as fancy or as expensive as typical Fillet Mignon and less marbled. $5.99 lb. And also similar type tri-tip at $3.99.

In other words, cheap steaks. Not $20 lb rib-eyes.

But cooked Sous Vide and finished in a smoking hot pan with butter? They taste ultra-high end. I serve sliced to a very happy family.

Bill

Yeah, for the Instant Pot- I had found a video on YouTube where a woman make a rack of lamb sous vide method using her InstantPot with the Bluetooth. (Before IP sold their own sous vide device, which my understanding is they do offer now). She precooked for a dinner party and then finished in the broiler. I could never get the temperature near consistent enough in mine to attempt lamb though. I ran tests with just water and kept trying to hold a constant temp and never could get close. It would get waaay too hot. My IP doesn't have bluetooth though with the setting that helps regulate the temperature. My stove is electric and horrible inconsistent on heat so I was out of luck too doing what you do.

And I have to say....$7 Le Creuset?!?? I am beyond envious.

I've been buying super cheap steaks myself. It's been crazy how well they turn out. I just bought the jars to try sous vide egg bites a la Starbucks. I just need to have time to set them up. Glad to find a fellow sous vide fan! :)

Edited by texasmom33