Menu

Son sprained ankle. How long until he can play sports again?

IfIOnly

It really, really varies. A sprain can be worse than I break in terms of recovery.

I sprained my ankle in mid-February and wore an immobilization boot for 4 weeks. Now I have a brace that keeps it from twisting (not a compression brace), and I got back to the doctor on Friday. They said I'd probably need PT. It's definitely better, but still hurts in certain angles. It was a bad sprain though. Other times I sprained it and iced for a week and was fine.

• Like 4

Fortunately we ruggers are tougher than average. He'll be back.

Hit it with one 800 mg dose of ibuprofen then do to a maintenance dose (with the approval of your physician) and ice.

Bill (who wonders how one plays rugby without being able to drink beer against the pain post-game)

• Like 4

Hard to say. Sprains can take a long time to heal properly.

BabyBaby sprained a TOE over a month ago and it's not quite back to normal, and that's with daily taping as the doctor ordered and three weeks in an immobilization shoe!

How long is rugby season? He might be able to observe practices so he can more easily jump back in when allowed. When my girls have sprained toes/ankles or torn ligaments they went to almost every class, practice, or rehearsal. Actively watching practice, not sitting in the corner on their phones, LOL! Diamond was able to return to musical tech week (week before show) since she knew all of the dances and changes made since her injury. If she had stayed home she would have had a very difficult time catching up.

Hoping he heals quickly and completely!

• Like 1

You all are great.  Just got back with my other son from practice. Bandaging, ice, ibuprofen, got it! I don't think it's severe, but his ankle is swollen and bruising some. He says he can walk on it, which I told him not to do! I picked him up a pair of crutches at the thrift store and have some ace bandages in the garage. I should have mentioned it was just Parks and Rec rugby, and the coach said tonight he's more than welcome to join in when/if he gets better. DS was happy to hear that. I don't want him to injure himself again or make it worse though and am worried about that. I guess I'll see how he's doing in a week and go from there.  

Is this something you would go to the doctor for now or in a week if thing's aren't improving or not at all or? I've had a couple sprains, with one really bad one. I just took it easy and everything eventually healed. With DS wanting to play sports though, it's trickier. 

Fortunately we ruggers are tougher than average. He'll be back.

Hit it with one 800 mg dose of ibuprofen then do to a maintenance dose (with the approval of your physician) and ice.

Bill (who wonders how one plays rugby without being able to drink beer against the pain post-game)

LOL, and I hope so! Lacrosse and rugby happen at the same time here, and rugby ultimately won out. Thank you, Spy Car!

Edited by ifIonlyhadabrain
  • Like 1

My dd had one of those ankle roll sprains from playing soccer in early March. I read everything I could online and decided she had a mild sprain. She could always bear weight and while it swelled a bit, it didn't bruise. She kept it wrapped for a day or two, stayed off it for a couple of days and within a week she was back in track and soccer with some KT tape on the ankle (she had no pain walking or running). 

• Like 1

LOL, and I hope so! Lacrosse and rugby happen at the same time here, and rugby ultimately won out. Thank you, Spy Car!

I loved playing rugby in my youth. I decided to make a comeback about 10 years ago, but it lasted about 15 minutes (literally) as I pulled a quad moments into our first practice, and I retired.

My boy was introduced to rugby, but settled on lacrosse. I've been coaching his team the past 5 years.

Hope your boy feels better soon!

Bill

• Like 1

It's called "being young."

At 17 our games were so rough if you didn't start drinking beer within minutes of the game ending, you were going to be in a world of hurt. Actually, you were still in a world of hurt—just you know.

It was one time the legal drinking age went out the window. If you played rugby, you were a man.

By tradition the host team always has a keg on tap within a 5 minute radius of the game, and both squads wold get together, drink to ease the pain, and sing bawdy limericks. Good times!

Bill

• Like 2

I loved playing rugby in my youth. I decided to make a comeback about 10 years ago, but it lasted about 15 minutes (literally) as I pulled a quad moments into our first practice, and I retired.

My boy was introduced to rugby, but settled on lacrosse. I've been coaching his team the past 5 years.

Hope your boy feels better soon!

Bill

Oh, no! That's wonderful you're coaching you son's team though. Thank you for the well wishes!

• Like 1

You all are great.  Just got back with my other son from practice. Bandaging, ice, ibuprofen, got it! I don't think it's severe, but his ankle is swollen and bruising some. He says he can walk on it, which I told him not to do! I picked him up a pair of crutches at the thrift store and have some ace bandages in the garage. I should have mentioned it was just Parks and Rec rugby, and the coach said tonight he's more than welcome to join in when/if he gets better. DS was happy to hear that. I don't want him to injure himself again or make it worse though and am worried about that. I guess I'll see how he's doing in a week and go from there.  

Is this something you would go to the doctor for now or in a week if thing's aren't improving or not at all or? I've had a couple sprains, with one really bad one. I just took it easy and everything eventually healed. With DS wanting to play sports though, it's trickier. 

I go right away when swelling is involved.

I've had multiple sprains of various types years apart.  One was minor and quick to heal.  One had me in a boot for weeks.  One actually included a fracture in my cuboid bone that was a big surprise to everyone, and I wound up in a boot for months, half on crutches, half without. 

Going back to activity too soon and not doing therapeutic exercises to strengthen the tendons and ligaments can make the area much more prone to reinjury.

ETA:  "Too soon" often looks very different to the injured and the medical professional! I was always "ready" to ditch the boot before they'd clear me.

Edited by Carrie12345
  • Like 2

Doctor was pretty sure there was nothing broken because DS didn't have much pain after she pressed in certain spots. She stil ordered an xray to be on the safe side. $99 for that which isn't too bad. We'll do that tomorrow. Mostly likely he'll be able to walk on it again in a couple of days and may be able to play in a few weeks. She gave him some exercises to do at home.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

How do you decide? DS13 sprained his ankle today. Tonight would have been his first rugby practice. :(  He is really disappointed. Is he out the whole season, or would it  be possible able catch the last of it if the coach allows? 

I would think the doctor would have the best guidance fro something like this.

• Like 1