Menu

Online Algebra 2 Classes

This would be for my rising 10th grader.  I had been planning on putting him in a local co-op for this next year, because a friend of mine teaches the course.  She uses Math-U-See, and honestly I was a bit leery because I'm pretty positive this child will be going into computer engineering, and math is one of his strong areas. After reading some threads on here, though, I felt like it would do the job, and that it would be worth it to have a live teacher.  He has been doing math with another friend, but she's just been overwhelmed and doesn't want to teach it next year because of some other classes she'll be teaching.  I totally get that--I have a degree in math myself, but I also am totally overwhelmed and don't want to teach it, lol.  (I teach high school and junior high science classes instead, since I also have a biology degree.)

So now I'm looking at online classes.  I will say this is not one of my more motivated kids, so I am afraid that he won't engage in an online class.  He is taking English at Potters this year.  He's doing fine, but he doesn't enjoy it.  Is there an algebra 2 online class out there that has an engaging teacher, and even a somewhat engaging format??  

Hi Claire,

There are so many good options. I can highly recommend Wilson Hill Academy. Derek Owens is another great option as well. We've taken classes from both. Our son started with WHA taking Geometry, then on to Algebra 2. He is now taking Pre-Calculus and signed up for AP Calculus in the Fall. It has been one the best decisions we've made for him. He is also STEM directed and very interested in Computer Science. 

All of our kids started with MUS and did not really like it. In addition, we found it too light especially for our son who thrives in math. I'm not saying its bad for all, just sharing our first hand experience with three very unique students. You'll get some who love it just like any program (e.g. Saxon, TT, et al). But most will agree it is on the lighter end of the spectrum when it comes to rigor and challenge after evaluating curriculum. 

Haha, I just noticed we both have a Grace and Luke. I like your choices.  :D

Edited by dereksurfs
  • Like 2

This would be for my rising 10th grader.  I had been planning on putting him in a local co-op for this next year, because a friend of mine teaches the course.  She uses Math-U-See, and honestly I was a bit leery because I'm pretty positive this child will be going into computer engineering, and math is one of his strong areas. After reading some threads on here, though, I felt like it would do the job, and that it would be worth it to have a live teacher.  He has been doing math with another friend, but she's just been overwhelmed and doesn't want to teach it next year because of some other classes she'll be teaching.  I totally get that--I have a degree in math myself, but I also am totally overwhelmed and don't want to teach it, lol.  (I teach high school and junior high science classes instead, since I also have a biology degree.)

If you go with the co-op plan on supplementing - for us supplementing was mostly in the summer, but summer in southern AZ is our worst weather.

for online you can look here 

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/542418-homeschooling-high-school-math/?do=findComment&comment=6191109

and here

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/638806-master-list-of-on-line-classes/

Edited by MarkT

I've been very happy with Algebra 2 with Jann in TX - http://myhomeschoolmathclass.com/index.html

This class uses Lial's Intermediate Algebra.

I don't know if it would qualify as engaging...but. My son used to see math as a drudgery and now wants to major in "something that uses math" in college.

I will ask my son for a description of how the class works, so you can describe it to your son.

• Like 1

I've been very happy with Algebra 2 with Jann in TX - http://myhomeschoolmathclass.com/index.html

This class uses Lial's Intermediate Algebra.

I don't know if it would qualify as engaging...but. My son used to see math as a drudgery and now wants to major in "something that uses math" in college.

I will ask my son for a description of how the class works, so you can describe it to your son.

I just spent a great deal of time, after searching "Wilson" on this board, reading threads that mention WHA, and I read through a great one that compared Jann's classes with WHA!  I ended up signing up my son with WHA because it seemed to be more of what I think my son needs, with the more interactive format of the class.  Also, I've heard good things about the Dolciani they use.

Hi Claire,

There are so many good options. I can highly recommend Wilson Hill Academy. Derek Owens is another great option as well. We've taken classes from both. Our son started with WHA taking Geometry, then on to Algebra 2. He is now taking Pre-Calculus and signed up for AP Calculus in the Fall. It has been one the best decisions we've made for him. He is also STEM directed and very interested in Computer Science. 

All of our kids started with MUS and did not really like it. In addition, we found it too light especially for our son who thrives in math. I'm not saying its bad for all, just sharing our first hand experience with three very unique students. You'll get some who love it just like any program (e.g. Saxon, TT, et al). But most will agree it is on the lighter end of the spectrum when it comes to rigor and challenge after evaluating curriculum. 

Haha, I just noticed we both have a Grace and Luke. I like your choices.  :D

Your concerns with MUS were exactly my concerns, so I didn't have a peaceful sense about the co-op.  After reading your message last night, I looked more closely at WHA (and read threads about it), and I remembered realized earlier that I actually know Eric Reini, because we were math classmates in college!  That really sealed the deal for me, and so I signed DS up.  I am excited about it!  

Thanks so much for your input, everyone!  It was very helpful!

• Like 5

I just spent a great deal of time, after searching "Wilson" on this board, reading threads that mention WHA, and I read through a great one that compared Jann's classes with WHA!  I ended up signing up my son with WHA because it seemed to be more of what I think my son needs, with the more interactive format of the class.  Also, I've heard good things about the Dolciani they use.

Your concerns with MUS were exactly my concerns, so I didn't have a peaceful sense about the co-op.  After reading your message last night, I looked more closely at WHA (and read threads about it), and I remembered realized earlier that I actually know Eric Reini, because we were math classmates in college!  That really sealed the deal for me, and so I signed DS up.  I am excited about it!  

Thanks so much for your input, everyone!  It was very helpful!

Wow, that's really cool that you went to school together. What are the chances of that? It makes for a good story to tell your kids when they are taking his classes. I've also heard very positive things about his teaching. And its really hard to go wrong with WHA. I'm glad to help and look forward to hearing how things go for your son.

Our son really likes the interactive aspects of the live sessions. That is one advantage over Derek Owens where our middle daughter is taking classes. For her the asynchronous recorded sessions work fine. Each child has different needs especially when it comes to math instruction. For her, going with Derek Owens this year has been a major breakthrough. Up until now she has strongly disliked math. We thought about changing teachers going with something live, possibly to Jann in TX or another live vendor. After much deliberation including  allowing her to listen to online samples she practically begged us to stay with DO.  :)

DO has been great ...but it's not exactly social and the motivation is there to get good grades but not as much overall motivation involved with An online class. I think a live class sounds like a better idea.

Yes, I think the classroom social component is a real wild card for homeschool students who have never really experienced it.

We definitely saw a change in our oldest when he took his first asynchronous online class - TabletClass. There was a new sense of responsibility even in that environment. However, once we started with the live courses it was like something turned on inside of him that was dormant and just waiting to interact with others. Both peers and teachers can motivate and inspire young students in unique ways beyond simply studying independently. Humans are social beings by nature and many times learn in social contexts. This is especially impactful as they enter their teen years and begin looking outside the home at the world around them. In fact, its a natural part of growing up as they begin to see themselves as members of a larger society beyond their immediate family.

Edited by dereksurfs
  • Like 3

However, once we started with the live courses it was like something turned on inside of him that was dormant and just waiting to interact with others. Both peers and teachers can motivate and inspire young students in unique ways beyond simply studying independently. Humans are social beings by nature and many times learn in social contexts. This is especially impactful as they enter their teen years and begin looking outside the home at the world around them. In fact, its a natural part of growing up as they begin to see themselves as members of a larger society beyond their immediate family.

Well said!  This has been our experience as well.