Menu

Pantyhose memory

Night Elf

I don't know what made me think of this, but I just remembered the first pair of pantyhose I had. I was a young girl and I wore colored tights with my dresses like white and blue. But I think I was about 12 when my mom bought me my first pair of nude pantyhose. I felt so grownup! Now they're out of fashion. Neither of my daughters ever wore pantyhose.

• Like 3

One of my 10yos has worn pantyhose a couple of times, with a "suit" type skirt outfit.  The other is still petite enough to wear girly tights.  :)

The first time I remember wearing pantyhose, I was 16.  Possibly I wore them before that, but don't remember.  I was never one to try to look grown-up before I had to.  :P

Myself, on the rare occasion I am dressed up, I prefer longer skirts under which I can wear knee highs.  But I will wear pantyhose (Suntan color) if the occasion calls for it.  I do have to be seen in a business suit at times.

I wear them still. The Duchess of Cambridge (or whatever Princess Kate's actual title is) wears them. I'm only a year older than she is.

I read that she is required by the queen to always wear hose.

My issue with hose-I glow in the dark. In a pair of hose, I look like two people who were cut in half and mixed up.

Have you tried this brand from JCPenney? Linen is pale but not nurse-white. Remember when nurses wore white dresses and white pantyhose? http://m.jcpenney.com/berkshire-flat-tummy-shaper-pantyhose/prod.jump?ppId=pp5007660410&Ntt=&Ns=featured&N=&page=1

No nonsense brand has a color called beige mist. http://www.nononsense.com/great-shapes/great-shapes-active-sheer-leg-3-pair-pack.htm

Even tan people look horrible in "suntan" BLECH!

• Like 2

Have you tried this brand from JCPenney? Linen is pale but not nurse-white. Remember when nurses wore white dresses and white pantyhose? http://m.jcpenney.com/berkshire-flat-tummy-shaper-pantyhose/prod.jump?ppId=pp5007660410&Ntt=&Ns=featured&N=&page=1

No nonsense brand has a color called beige mist. http://www.nononsense.com/great-shapes/great-shapes-active-sheer-leg-3-pair-pack.htm

Even tan people look horrible in "suntan" BLECH!

I think I wore beige mist back when I worked at a bank in the late 80s. Yes, I was ghostly enough that a "mist" is the right tone. Regular hose made me look like a clown.

• Like 1

Back about 1969, I was on a championship youth football team and there were no such things as compression shorts.

So some pro footballers, including my hero Joe Namath of the Jets, began experimenting with wearing pantyhose to serve the same purpose,

I will admit—with a still burning blush—that I gave it a go one game. I was horribly creeped out by the whole deal :D

I'm sure Freud would have a field day with that information.

Bill (bad memories)

• Like 8

I am so glad they are out of style!

I used to where them year round with suits. Long hot subway rides and walking down busy sidewalks sweating. Ugh.

And the runs. Had to keep clear nail polish handy for runs.

Now, when I dress up half the year I gave care legs. The other half I will wear black tights, which I find way more comfortable.

One of the awesome things about my altered career path is the most professional attire I need is khaki pants. Often I where shorts.

• Like 2

My mom was horrified when I informed her that I wasn't wearing them on my wedding day. (We've been married almost 8 years.) I hate pantyhose. I wanted her to explain why I should be uncomfortable/hot on my wedding day. Plus...the only person who was going to see my legs was DH!

Therefore, I didn't wear them. I think my mom is still shocked.

I missed out on lots of girl genes, I think. (I also rarely wear makeup or do my hair.) Oh well.

The L'eggs containers were awesome, especially the gold and silver ones. Lots of preschool and kindergarten teachers used them for crafts, as I recall. My parents still hang an ornament on their Christmas tree made out of half a L'eggs egg with a school picture inside. :)

Check these out:

3af14032988bbcac1c9d5ab18225135c.jpg

leggs-for-christmas-oct-1972-620x823.jpg

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

The L'eggs containers were awesome, especially the gold and silver ones. Lots of preschool and kindergarten teachers used them for crafts, as I recall. My parents still hang an ornament on their Christmas tree made out of half a L'eggs egg with a school picture inside. :)

Check these out:

3af14032988bbcac1c9d5ab18225135c.jpg

leggs-for-christmas-oct-1972-620x823.jpg

They were hidden along with Easter Eggs at my house!

• Like 4

Back about 1969, I was on a championship youth football team and there were no such things as compression shorts.

So some pro footballers, including my hero Joe Namath of the Jets, began experimenting with wearing pantyhose to serve the same purpose,

I will admit—with a still burning blush—that I gave it a go one game. I was horribly creeped out by the whole deal :D

I'm sure Freud would have a field day with that information.

Bill (bad memories)

Sorry you had to endure that. You just needed to ask a lady to find out that pantyhose are not strong enough to last a walk to the bus stop, let alone a football game! ;)

• Like 1

You were obviously part of the preppy crowd. Lol

One time for Halloween (at school), I wore a friend's Danzig t-shirt and combat boots, and he wore a pink polo shirt.  :lol:

I actually was into grunge later, though. (But not metal. Blech.)   :)

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 1

Sorry you had to endure that. You just needed to ask a lady to find out that pantyhose are not strong enough to last a walk to the bus stop, let alone a football game! ;)

Oh, they lasted. I had a quality pair of support hose borrowed/stolen? from my mother who had a few varicose veins and was under the impression these would be useful.

If memory serves they were called Supphose (for something like that).

I still remember the very weird sweating and tingling sensation I got from wearing these. Bloody awful!

Bill

• Like 2

I'm glad that pantyhose are out of style. I wore them to the retail job I had while in college, but I lived in a much colder climate the. It makes me sweat just thinking about wearing them here in FL. 

Regarding the Leggs eggs--I remember having Christmas ornaments that were made out of them, cut out and with little figurines inserted like a Faberge egg. My favorite was always one that had a little deer and woodland scene inside. (much like this: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/4a/02/62/4a0262f5f5aff22b853ac87532441c01.jpg )

• Like 3

I mourn that pantyhose are out of fashion.  I just can't wear heels in bare feet.  I honestly can't figure out how all the other women can do it.  I've wondered if they buy expensive shoes or something?  Or maybe everyone has little footie things.

I used to watch What Not to Wear and they'd all wear high pointy heels in their bare feet and I could just feel the skin pulling against the leather and the yucky sensation when the toes don't go smoothly into the shoe (like they do in nice sleek hose), and then I pictured all the sweat with those bare feet against the bottom of the shoe and the skin along the heel getting raw with each step and bleeding.  Yuck.  Just give me the hose.  Plus hose also kept a tummy looking sleek.

• Like 13

I mourn that pantyhose are out of fashion.  I just can't wear heels in bare feet.  I honestly can't figure out how all the other women can do it.  I've wondered if they buy expensive shoes or something?  Or maybe everyone has little footie things.

I used to watch What Not to Wear and they'd all wear high pointy heels in their bare feet and I could just feel the skin pulling against the leather and the yucky sensation when the toes don't go smoothly into the shoe (like they do in nice sleek hose), and then I pictured all the sweat with those bare feet against the bottom of the shoe and the skin along the heel getting raw with each step and bleeding.  Yuck.  Just give me the hose.  Plus hose also kept a tummy looking sleek.

Oh goodness, how I hate the feel of bare feet in shoes. I just recently bought some liner socks to wear with my boat shoes, and they are great. I never wear heels, but if I needed to I'd definitely try to find a pair of liners that worked with them.

I wore pantyhose all the time in high school. Does anyone else remember wearing a blazer with shoulder pads, walking shorts, pantyhose, and flats? Heck, yes, we were cool. :coolgleamA:

Oh man, I remember an outfit from around 5th or 6th grade... It included stone-washed jean shorts, black hose, and high top sneakers (and slouch socks). Lots of bangle bracelets, and mismatched earrings (one stud, one dangly). I thought I was so New Wave, LOL.

That's the only time I recall willingly wearing hose. :D

• Like 3

Mystery Science has a lab where you make grassheads using knee high hose. I actually had a hard time finding them.

Not to derail the thread, but we just finished that mystery, and my kiddos refused to do that activity because they thought those grassheads looked like zombies. :p

I don't know what made me think of this, but I just remembered the first pair of pantyhose I had. I was a young girl and I wore colored tights with my dresses like white and blue. But I think I was about 12 when my mom bought me my first pair of nude pantyhose. I felt so grownup! Now they're out of fashion. Neither of my daughters ever wore pantyhose.

I refuse to believe they are out of fashion.  Humpf!  The Duchess of Cambridge wears them, so....

• Like 1

My 14 (almost 15)yo wears them. Not often. I'd say she gets all fancy maybe once or twice a year.

I can't remember the last time I wore them, but I must have been around 11 or 12 the first time.  I loved them, but my mother would get so frustrated with how often I'd get runs. Which was pretty much every time I wore them, lol.

You can pry my pantyhose out of my cold, lifeless, and dead hands with the Oxford comma.

I am so white I glow and I am translucent. I think my legs look better with hose. Plus, I hate the way my dress shoes feel on my bare feet. Those little toe hose or peds never stay on.

However, I don't wear them if I am wearing open toed shoes or sandals.

Edited by kewb
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Oh, they lasted. I had a quality pair of support hose borrowed/stolen? from my mother who had a few varicose veins and was under the impression these would be useful.

If memory serves they were called Supphose (for something like that).

I still remember the very weird sweating and tingling sensation I got from wearing these. Bloody awful!

Bill

:lol:

Wearing closed shoes with no sock-like barrier between shoe and foot feels disgusting to me.  I believe it is not good for the shoes, either.  

Now there is a pretty good variety of "Peds" which is what I recall as the brand name when I was growing up, what I still call them. Then, they were white, a bit thick,and had a pompom on the back to keep them from falling into the back of the shoe.  I think people mostly wore them with sneakers.  Keds and Peds, ha ha. Anyway now there are better ones, thin and invisible.  No pompoms.   :lol:

I don't mind wearing pantyhose unless it's very hot.  Maybe it's my generation but I think legs in hose look better than bare legs, in certain types of outfits.  I'm going to a wedding in May and I guess I will have to be bare-legged so as not to embarrass my daughter, but to me bare legs in a dressy dress looks... I don't know, unpolished, I guess.   I'm going to try to find a dress or skirt that goes just above the ankles!

As for comfort - the key to me was to buy a pair one size too big, and not to buy the cheapest.  No control top, either.  More comfortable to me than jeans.

• Like 1

I can't believe I didn't remember this until just now.  A week ago we were at my MIL's.   TV was on in the background but no one was watching it.   Threes Company came on.   The blonde wore pantyhose with shorts.  Shorts!  The conversation turned to marveling at the clothes and how they could they have not seemed super weird at the time.  

• 2 years later...

I don't remember when pantyhose became popular or when I started wearing them, but I know I started wearing stockings with a garter belt first. It's possible that pantyhose were more expensive so I had to stick with stockings until I could afford pantyhose (or until the price of those newfangled hose came down). I think my first pantyhose were L'eggs. I wonder if they even still sell those eggs. 😄 Pantyhose were the sliced bread of women's fashion. Those and self stick menstrual pads, eliminating the need for that awful belt they used. Or safety pins. Pads kept in place with safety pins. Yeah, I'm old lol. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1