Menu

Possible spam texts....reply 'stop' or not?

Tap

A few times per year, I get random texts that I assume is spam.

Todays text is a phone number to contact about student loan forgiveness.  My phone number is on my sons loans from college and my daughters college paperwork too, so it isn't completely random, but unsolicited none-the-less. I don't know if it is a legit company, or spam....so, in that case....I assume spam. 

It gives an option to reply with STOP to opt out.

Just in general to these types of messages....

Is it better to reply with STOP and hope they stop?

Or not reply at all, because replying means they have a working number? 

(I am not talking about companies I know are legit, that I knowingly gave my number to, just random things that come in and you don't know if they are legit or not.)

• Like 1

I never reply to these or to the similar phone calls, but I do have an entry in my "Contacts" app that is called "Junk".  I add the phone number to this contact.  And the contact is blocked.  

Block.

Don't text STOP because that automatically adds you to their list of "Good Numbers".  Now they know they have a good number for a real human being......and will never leave you alone.

See, here's the thing.  If I *don't* answer, my voicemail picks up so now they have my name AND my number.  

I don't have a solution...but it seems like a no-win.

Block it, but don't be surprised to keep hearing from them, from a different number each time.  There is one random credit card fraud protection company recording that keeps calling my cell phone.  I never answer calls I don't recognize, but recently this company has gotten really good at hiding their identity when they call.  Each time I block them, they come back at me from a new number. They now route their calls to a number that looks like a local call, one from my small town.  But it isn't. 

See, here's the thing. If I *don't* answer, my voicemail picks up so now they have my name AND my number.

I don't have a solution...but it seems like a no-win.

Is there no "block" option on your phone? If you don't have a smartphone, there is an option to block numbers through your carrier. Then the call is just dumped and never goes to voicema

But how do I know which numbers to block until I get a call from them?

I see what you're saying. Most of the time those spam calls don't go to voicemail. As soon as voicemail picks up, they're gone. I google any number I don't recognize and nine times out of ten there are other people complaining about it (or I find out it's the water company and I've forgotten to pay the bill lol). Then I block it. In the cas of the OP, she is getting texts, so that one is easy.

• Like 1