Menu

Frugalistas April 2- 8th

mommyoffive

Pretty good here! Another chicken {maybe two more} started laying, so we're up to getting 2-3 eggs a day now from our 6 hens. I need to work on their new day pen and that should help it increase. 

Got the Chase Bank bonus deposited yesterday, so today I'm going to be paying the property taxes using the bank bonus funds. Trying to find another good bank bonus to do now - I've already done Wells Fargo and Chase. 

Way way way overspent on groceries. Only $70 left in the grocery budget for the rest of the month. Going to be interesting. I think I can do it though - we have quite a bit of meat in the freezer. And with the chickens laying we can do egg dinners sometimes. 

MyBlessings4 - There are quite a few offers going right now actually, depending on where you are! Check on http://www.doctorofcredit.com under the bank bonus tab for April 2017 bonuses. 

• Like 1

Pretty good here! Another chicken {maybe two more} started laying, so we're up to getting 2-3 eggs a day now from our 6 hens. I need to work on their new day pen and that should help it increase. 

Got the Chase Bank bonus deposited yesterday, so today I'm going to be paying the property taxes using the bank bonus funds. Trying to find another good bank bonus to do now - I've already done Wells Fargo and Chase. 

Way way way overspent on groceries. Only $70 left in the grocery budget for the rest of the month. Going to be interesting. I think I can do it though - we have quite a bit of meat in the freezer. And with the chickens laying we can do egg dinners sometimes. 

MyBlessings4 - There are quite a few offers going right now actually, depending on where you are! Check on http://www.doctorofcredit.com under the bank bonus tab for April 2017 bonuses. 

How old are your chickens?  I am wondering how long it takes.

great job on the all the Bonuses that you are getting.   There are so many out there.  I need to do this, but just like the travel hacking I have put it off.  Dumb.

Did you get the 300 or 500 from chase? 

Don't forget that you will have to pay taxes on this money.  Just a PSA.

Good luck on the grocery challenge. 

• Like 1

Have stuck to the grocery budget so far...that's a bonus!

Spent more than I wanted to for urgent care, Rx, but it was needed

I spent a long, long time analyzing our spending habits on Saturday, found out Target was our kryptonite.  That, and Starbucks.  

Is it ironic that I need to go to Target to invest in a new to-go mug so I don't go to Starbucks?   :closedeyes:

• Like 2

Good thread. I am going to have to read that link to see what a bank bonus is. I am guessing moving your account to a bank offering a cash bonus or something? Worth looking into. 

My good news: I spent $100 at the grocery store too. I made a menu for the next week and a half with that, plus have some extra meals stuffs. I think I can spread what I have into two weeks except I will need to get another milk before then probably, and that included Easter basket candy for the kids, so that is almost done. 

Yesterday I bought 4 pairs of shoes for under $10 at Payless after using coupons and some gift cards I had put up from Christmas that we didn't need then.  The $10 didn't even come out of our monthly cash because it was some that my grandma paid me back after I had bought something for her last month out of last month's bonus.  

• Like 1

We were being frugal because dd was going to be getting a more expensive bday present. That fell through but we need new car tyres. Supposed to do 60,000km and didn't even make it 20,000!

Chicken ladies, do you have any tips on saving on chicken food! I use and auto feeder and right now I think they are costing more in feed than eggs would cost. Still glad to do it because at least my chickens are happy but wish I could figure out how to cut the feed bill. (I may or may not have two excess roosters that I can't bring myself to get rid of)

• Like 1

Good thread. I am going to have to read that link to see what a bank bonus is. I am guessing moving your account to a bank offering a cash bonus or something? Worth looking into. 

My good news: I spent $100 at the grocery store too. I made a menu for the next week and a half with that, plus have some extra meals stuffs. I think I can spread what I have into two weeks except I will need to get another milk before then probably, and that included Easter basket candy for the kids, so that is almost done. 

Yesterday I bought 4 pairs of shoes for under $10 at Payless after using coupons and some gift cards I had put up from Christmas that we didn't need then.  The $10 didn't even come out of our monthly cash because it was some that my grandma paid me back after I had bought something for her last month out of last month's bonus.  

What a great deal at the shoe store!  Score.

Yes a bank bonus is for opening an account.  Sometimes you have to do other things.  Transfer a set amount of money.  Do so many monthly debits. And other things.  Make sure you read all the fine print because some have fees too.  

I just lost a monster post, ugh!

the short version-

general budget stuff good

House renovations etc-

sucking money big time, trying to save where we can but there is just a lot to it, this will finish out the house though, woot! (not that there isn't always something to upgrade etc but it will finish it out)

We should be done in 1 1/2 wk-2 wks, thank goodness.

Dh & kids are coming with me to training this weekend, no extra cost on hotel or gas. They are going to do some free & low cost stuff for a mini family vacation. I'm trying to pack most all of our food and snacks, we will have a frig and microwave. "Real" vacation planned for beginning of June, will be tent camping at a State park, bringing our own food, so should hopefully be fairly low cost.

Finished up school this week, I have nearly all of the books I need for next year, just lacking a few odds and ends but nothing needed for the beginning of the year. 

I'm hoping to get some time to sell some stuff once this house stuff is done, I still have yet to sell anything and need to recoup some costs. I need to do more research on earning some money back for the overseas vacation for dh & I.

We were being frugal because dd was going to be getting a more expensive bday present. That fell through but we need new car tyres. Supposed to do 60,000km and didn't even make it 20,000!

Chicken ladies, do you have any tips on saving on chicken food! I use and auto feeder and right now I think they are costing more in feed than eggs would cost. Still glad to do it because at least my chickens are happy but wish I could figure out how to cut the feed bill. (I may or may not have two excess roosters that I can't bring myself to get rid of)

This catches me flack every time i say it in chicken groups BUT here goes. 

I don't buy chicken feed. EVER. My 6 hens are fed entirely on scraps, extra produce, and assorted bread. I keep a pitcher in the kitchen and toss scraps into it as I fix meals or clean the fridge. That includes things like meat, extra scrambled egg that didn't get eaten, pasta, etc. Once in a while if the protein level is low I add cat / dog food to the mix to up it. I also have a deal with a couple of local food pantry sites that I'll take things like produce past it's prime or bread packages that came open or had a spot of mold {I remove the mold before feeding}. That all becomes chicken feed too. They also get to scavenge for bugs too - I try to move the pen around the yard regularly to give them new places to dig. 

I figure that until the 30's/40's buying chicken feed wasn't a regular thing. And yet they laid just fine, eating scraps, bugs, etc. So why should that not work now?

• Like 2

Hmm

Went to Aldi and Knocked $50 off our grocery bill even with buying tons of bulbs to plant and dirt.

Went back and bought enough more because everything is so great.  So spent that 50 that we saved.  Oh well.  The garden is going to look great and I have wanted to do this forever.  Saw the bulbs at Loews and it was 6 bucks more per bag. 

Returned that carseat because there was a better deal.  A huge headache, but it is done.

I got $45 in cash back

$60 in kohls cash 

and 5 bucks in yes rewards. 

SWEET

Will sell the 2 old seats.  

Sold an old coat.   

Oh signed the kids up for Fishing Class $45

Signed the kids up for swim team and lessons

And used the rest of their virtual school money.  I am glad I got that done. 

Oh I forgot we had a kiddo birthday 

Cake 

Balloons

Cupcakes for swim team

I was just going to pull the trigger on $329 flights to Singapore.  Saw the deal really late and was waiting on dh calling me back and poof they are gone.  Damn. I am really upset.  

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Like 1

Well, I saved my friend a bunch on car insurance, does that count?  :P

Last night was pretty expensive.  My kid is on a performance team that got to perform at a pro game.  (A once a year event.)  Unfortunately she (and everyone she brought) had to buy a ticket.  Actually there was a lot of pressure to buy tickets, because the company had to buy a block of 100 in order to perform.  (Basically it's advertising, but so exciting for the girls.)  Long story short, I bought 10 tickets and treated friends and relatives.  I assume I'll be pressured to do this every year until my kid ages out of the program.  Oh well, I still think it's cheaper than being a dance mom.  :P  And it helps that our pro team was #1 last year.  My kid had a brief interaction with at least 3 of the best players in the world.  What can ya say ... and I bought some family and friend goodwill.  Dinner out or a movie would have been cheaper, but ....

My kids' friend had a sleepover here last night - ball game yesterday and science museum today.  Sounds expensive, but I would have spent more had my kids gone to horse riding as usual.  The science museum visit was "included" in the membership I bought a couple months ago - I bought the membership to get a discount on summer camps.  I had not been to the regular exhibits there in a long time.  They are so cool.  I hope we get time to use the museum more over the course of the year.

I haven't paid any of my recent medical bills yet.  I was waiting for them all to come in so I could make sure I was paying 1x for each service, and only 1 check per recipient.  I will probably make those payments this coming week.  I have to say that my new insurance has done its job, reducing the bills to amounts that don't knock me out.  I still have to pay a bunch to meet my deductible / coinsurance limits, but hey, at least there are limits.  :)  And being able to choose a provider I feel good about is worth something too.  I had all but given up on MDs under my previous arrangement.

I made several donations for the families of the students I sponsor, and to a couple other families in medical situations.  For the student whose birthday is coming up, I paid for some chickens among other things.  I plan to do that for all the students' families this year, around their birthdays.  Hopefully it can ease some of their families' stress.

We're going to try again with buying a new fridge.  Tomorrow a plumber is supposed to come and install a shutoff valve on the fridge water supply pipe, and then the Sears folks will deliver and hook up the fridge.  I hope the plumber doesn't charge too much.  It is kind of a dumb expense.

Easter - should be more than covered by the Malley's fundraiser I bought from last month.  (Now I want some chocolate!)  I might pick up some small non-edible gift to add to the baskets, but I haven't thought of anything yet.  I should probably pick up a plant or something for my mom ....

• Like 1

I need to force myself to go to Kohl's today.  I have Kohl's Kash for $10 and I got a $10 bonus via email.  They expire today.  And I got a $5 YES rewards for my B-day from Kohl's.

That is $25 free!  

I also need to list some things for sale today and stick them on our local sales site.  

Groceries:  I plan to spend about $100 today.  I need lunch meat, cheese, other meat, and some condiments

What I really need to do is make inventory of my food and make a PLAN to eat up my freezer food.  I have been working on it, but not very systematically, so I want to get that together and get some meals planned while I am on Spring Break.

• Like 1

I haven't reevaluated my yearly goals recently so here is how those are going...

We've got just under $7000 saved of our $10,000 savings goal. We should reach this goal by July if I'm aggressive enough.

That savings goal will be done right in time for us to achieve my goal of upping our retirement savings to 15% by July.

My stick within the budget goal is going well so far!

Last goal is to create 1 passive stream of income. I'm about a month out from launching my idea, it'll take a few more months to see if it'll be profitable. And then roughly a year to determine how profitable. I'm also working on other ideas that won't take that long to see if it's profitable.

• Like 1

Well, I saved my friend a bunch on car insurance, does that count?  :p

Last night was pretty expensive.  My kid is on a performance team that got to perform at a pro game.  (A once a year event.)  Unfortunately she (and everyone she brought) had to buy a ticket.  Actually there was a lot of pressure to buy tickets, because the company had to buy a block of 100 in order to perform.  (Basically it's advertising, but so exciting for the girls.)  Long story short, I bought 10 tickets and treated friends and relatives.  I assume I'll be pressured to do this every year until my kid ages out of the program.  Oh well, I still think it's cheaper than being a dance mom.  :p  And it helps that our pro team was #1 last year.  My kid had a brief interaction with at least 3 of the best players in the world.  What can ya say ... and I bought some family and friend goodwill.  Dinner out or a movie would have been cheaper, but ....

My kids' friend had a sleepover here last night - ball game yesterday and science museum today.  Sounds expensive, but I would have spent more had my kids gone to horse riding as usual.  The science museum visit was "included" in the membership I bought a couple months ago - I bought the membership to get a discount on summer camps.  I had not been to the regular exhibits there in a long time.  They are so cool.  I hope we get time to use the museum more over the course of the year.

I haven't paid any of my recent medical bills yet.  I was waiting for them all to come in so I could make sure I was paying 1x for each service, and only 1 check per recipient.  I will probably make those payments this coming week.  I have to say that my new insurance has done its job, reducing the bills to amounts that don't knock me out.  I still have to pay a bunch to meet my deductible / coinsurance limits, but hey, at least there are limits.  :)  And being able to choose a provider I feel good about is worth something too.  I had all but given up on MDs under my previous arrangement.

I made several donations for the families of the students I sponsor, and to a couple other families in medical situations.  For the student whose birthday is coming up, I paid for some chickens among other things.  I plan to do that for all the students' families this year, around their birthdays.  Hopefully it can ease some of their families' stress.

We're going to try again with buying a new fridge.  Tomorrow a plumber is supposed to come and install a shutoff valve on the fridge water supply pipe, and then the Sears folks will deliver and hook up the fridge.  I hope the plumber doesn't charge too much.  It is kind of a dumb expense.

Easter - should be more than covered by the Malley's fundraiser I bought from last month.  (Now I want some chocolate!)  I might pick up some small non-edible gift to add to the baskets, but I haven't thought of anything yet.  I should probably pick up a plant or something for my mom ....

Awesome helping your friend save. 

The dance show sounds like it was a good spend.  Great experience and lots of people got to enjoy it. 

Good job using your membership.  

Smart to wait for all the bills to come in. 

I may have asked this, where do you sponsor kids?

I need to force myself to go to Kohl's today.  I have Kohl's Kash for $10 and I got a $10 bonus via email.  They expire today.  And I got a $5 YES rewards for my B-day from Kohl's.

That is $25 free!  

I also need to list some things for sale today and stick them on our local sales site.  

Groceries:  I plan to spend about $100 today.  I need lunch meat, cheese, other meat, and some condiments

What I really need to do is make inventory of my food and make a PLAN to eat up my freezer food.  I have been working on it, but not very systematically, so I want to get that together and get some meals planned while I am on Spring Break.

Happy Birthday.

I need to spend Kohls Cash too.  I am going to look in my email to see if I got any bonus I had a birthday a few days ago. 

I need to list things for sale too. 

• Like 1

I haven't reevaluated my yearly goals recently so here is how those are going...

We've got just under $7000 saved of our $10,000 savings goal. We should reach this goal by July if I'm aggressive enough.

That savings goal will be done right in time for us to achieve my goal of upping our retirement savings to 15% by July.

My stick within the budget goal is going well so far!

Last goal is to create 1 passive stream of income. I'm about a month out from launching my idea, it'll take a few more months to see if it'll be profitable. And then roughly a year to determine how profitable. I'm also working on other ideas that won't take that long to see if it's profitable.

Yay 70% there. 

Nice.

Hope you reach it soon and get on to the next goal. 

Yay for moving so fast on the passive income stream.  Are you going to let us know what you are doing?  

I am working on my idea.  I need to do some work on it to get to the next part of it. 

My son needs to move up from a size 1/10 to a 1/8 violin.  I've been watching shopgoodwill.com and found a quality violin with some surface scratches and a few things missing: the bridge, strings, two pegs and a fine tuner.  I got the violin for $60 (half of which was shipping)!  I've been saving up bing points for amazon gift cards to put towards new strings, bridge, etc.  All told, he is getting a $230 violin a small step up from what he has been playing for $71.72.

• Like 1

My son needs to move up from a size 1/10 to a 1/8 violin.  I've been watching shopgoodwill.com and found a quality violin with some surface scratches and a few things missing: the bridge, strings, two pegs and a fine tuner.  I got the violin for $60 (half of which was shipping)!  I've been saving up bing points for amazon gift cards to put towards new strings, bridge, etc.  All told, he is getting a $230 violin a small step up from what he has been playing for $71.72.

Nice job.

We were pretty frugal on our mini vacation. We left Fri. morning and go back late Sun night but only ate 2 meals out, I packed the rest. I tried to just make it 1 but dh couldn't face another meal of cold lunch meat. We ate at a Thai place one night just to try something new. They only did one activity that cost anything($50 for everyone), even got free parking everywhere even though they had to park a mile away twice, $35 for various treats here and there. I went to Ikea, found some pillow covers in the half off section- but picked up a canopy for dd3 for her new room($17), put $5 toward a canopy for dd1(she paid the rest), new towel for dh($10) and a picture dh and I both liked for the living room ($40). 

Just waiting on the guy to come and do our stairs and get this renovation business done with so we can stop spending money.

Oh, and in very good frugal news. One of the ladies offered for me to stay with her for my next training which saves me on hotel money. I should only have gas(I'll drive dh's Civic which gets 30+ mi per gallon) and maybe 1 lunch out with the girls to socialize.

Anyway, we've done better and we've done worse, trying to bring it back to penny pinching mode.