Menu

Sonlight for the Littles

Zgshipman

I'd like to get some opinions on the early Sonlight IGs for the younger grades,which would be better for a 4-5 year old and almost 3 year old if I want to do them together. Or is it not a good idea, should I just keep them separate?

Edited by Zgshipman

I think almost 3 is really young for Sonlight, but you could try the P3-4 books and see if they hold your little one's interest. I combined my kids who are 2 years apart for years, but I started my oldest one alone and gradually added my younger one in as she was ready. She actually wasn't as good at sitting and listening as my son was, so she wasn't fully combined with him until she was in K. We had a lot of great years reading books together though! (She's a senior now and he is in college). 

When my kids were little, they only had one Prek core, and it was somewhat similar to today's P4-5 core. It didn't have an IG (and I didn't think it needed one--just read and enjoy great books with your kids as they are ready for them). We enjoyed a number of those books for years, re-reading them often.

Anyway, have fun!

• 4 months later...

I have an advanced 5 year old and a laid back 3year old. (Both boys)

We finally settled on Sonlight's PreK Core. I'm supplementing my older one with 1st grade readers and language arts. I know it's going to be easy for him but we can always do a longer read aloud or explore concepts at his level alongside the curriculum. I'm more focusing on creating a school rhythm in our home and balancing life with three (I have a 4month old as well).

I'm hoping I can keep them in the same core for a while. Mostly expense wise. But also just for simplicity sake.

• Like 1

I have an advanced 5 year old and a laid back 3year old. (Both boys)

We finally settled on Sonlight's PreK Core. I'm supplementing my older one with 1st grade readers and language arts. I know it's going to be easy for him but we can always do a longer read aloud or explore concepts at his level alongside the curriculum. I'm more focusing on creating a school rhythm in our home and balancing life with three (I have a 4month old as well).

I'm hoping I can keep them in the same core for a while. Mostly expense wise. But also just for simplicity sake.

Enjoy! Mine are 2 years apart and did cores together until the oldest was near high school. The Prek books are fun (we read and re-read many of those books long after we were done with the core!)