Menu

Reigniting math passion

I feel like with each of my kids in the early years they've enjoyed the maths they've liked learning to add and learning about numbers. Then by mid year two to three they really disengage a lot. It gets better but still a chore that just has to get done.

I really wish I could figure out how to keep pace with their grade level without totally killing it for them.

What math level? I posted this in the Logic forum recently about the living math for DD 12 who is doing algebra. I have to continually mix in stuff like this, and it definitely gets harder to find but I keep looking

* Tons of stuff from Teachers Pay Teachers

* Algebra Pizazz math puzzles

* Dice games, Equate, I have a couple games just about linear and quadratic equations for Algebra, Prime Climb

* Books like "Magic of Math", Isamov "Algebra" 

* Manipulatives like algebra tiles and algeblocks and even cuisenaire rods too (Education Unboxed has a few higher level math videos)

* Great Courses Algebra I, EdX algebra, AoPS videos

• Like 3

Seconding that relaxed math thread. Twice recently I've seen people suggest it and then seen parents of upper elementary and middle school kids poo-poo it as babyish. Honestly, there are videos, games, books, and other resources in there that are *meant* for middle and high school kids.

Some of this disenchantment is probably on the kids and their personalities and so forth... but I think some of it is on us as parents. As we expect (and hope for and need) more independence from kids and as they get more capable of doing complex tasks, we stop trying to romance them to the task. But it's still important. And they're still kids.

Edited by Farrar
  • Like 5

Doing math buddy-style helps a lot. Playing math games to build mental math skills. Doing as much as possible orally, with a whiteboard and colorful markers as needed for scratch work.

Set aside one day a week to do interesting math, like the stuff on this resource page, or this one, or this. Or ideas from the relaxed math thread mentioned earlier. With most math programs, you can skip one day a week without doing much damage. There's a TON of repetition in elementary math!

• Like 3

Doing math buddy-style helps a lot. Playing math games to build mental math skills. Doing as much as possible orally, with a whiteboard and colorful markers as needed for scratch work.

Set aside one day a week to do interesting math, like the stuff on this resource page, or this one, or this. Or ideas from the relaxed math thread mentioned earlier. With most math programs, you can skip one day a week without doing much damage. There's a TON of repetition in elementary math!

I like the buddy style suggestion. That could be quite fun.