Menu

My sophmore son took the PSAT in October. My understanding is this when everyone takes it.

We just got a notice from the p.s.that he's to take it next week too, in April.

Anybody else doing this who has kids in or dual enrolled in p.s.?

Why would this be?

I thought next time would be in October as a Jr. And this would be when it counts for NM.

Thank you!!!

• Like 1

Maybe the school is offering the PSAT 10???

I think the "real" PSAT is only given in fall as you already know.

When I google PSAT 10 - this is given in April this year. I "think" it is basically a practice version of the PSAT that can be given to students. Basically another way the College Board can make money. It says it is an easier version of the PSAT as it is intended for sophomores so that they can get ready for the harder version in the fall of their junior year.

• Like 3

I think this is what he took already in October.

More tests and coming in an extra day to just fill out the preliminary info...😠

Maybe another simulated test is good practice. But he could also take the practice tests online.

Anybody else doing this twice in one year?

• Like 1

I think this is what he took already in October.

More tests and coming in an extra day to just fill out the preliminary info...😠

Maybe another simulated test is good practice. But he could also take the practice tests online.

Anybody else doing this twice in one year?

No, I believe previous comment is correct (at least per the high schools in my area) the PSAT is offered only in October. The PSAT 10 and 8/9 are offered in the spring to students in 9th and 10th.

• Like 2

If all goes well, DD will take it during October 2017, when she is a Junior. She is Hispanic and there is a competition for Hispanic students. The top 5% get recognition that may (or may not) help on university admission applications.  That's not a Scholarship, but if she qualifies will add something to her applications. Hispanic students need to take it in their Junior year, in October, to participate in that 

Edited by Lanny
  • Like 1

If all goes well, DD will take it during October 2017, when she is a Junior. She is Hispanic and there is a competition for Hispanic students. The top 5% get recognition that may (or may not) help on university admission applications. That's not a Scholarship, but if she qualifies will add something to her applications. Hispanic students need to take it in their Junior year, in October, to participate in that

The College Board does not offer scholarships but some universities do offer scholarships to National Hispanic Scholars. The list and the scholarships these universities offer change often so you will have to check closer to the time.

Edited by Mabelen
  • Like 1