Menu

A senior, a move, plans in chaos

rwjx2khsmj

We moved half way across country in the middle of my daughter's senior year. It happened relatively quickly and created chaos in her plans. Regrouping is challenging. She's been accepted to a school she's not sure she wants to go to that is 18+ hours from home. She won't qualify for in-state tuition until January 2018. She has 32 hours of dual enrollment classes under her belt.

Her passion is writing. Her desire is to be a YA fiction author. If you were to consider your child postponing college in order to pursue a passsion, what kinds of parameters would you establish?

• Like 1

What are you afraid of? That she won't write her novel? That she won't go to college someday? That she'll lie on the sofa and eat bonbons all day? That she's taking advantage if she doesn't pay rent and do chores?

Discuss your fears as a family and decide if preventive measures are necessary or if you can deal with problems if and when they occur.

• Like 2

What are you afraid of? That she won't write her novel? That she won't go to college someday? That she'll lie on the sofa and eat bonbons all day? That she's taking advantage if she doesn't pay rent and do chores?

Discuss your fears as a family and decide if preventive measures are necessary or if you can deal with problems if and when they occur.

Great questions! Thanks.

Look carefully before you apply to local colleges this year with the idea of a gap year. It might be best to wait. It's sometimes hard to change residency status once it is registered. It might be better to wait to apply until you are a resident.

I'd read up on gap years and how to document them for college or employment. Have her pick a plan and structure. I think it would be better if she was sticking to a plan and structure to justify the year for others rather than you. I think it would reduce friction. And like with any resume item, it can be adjusted as the year progresses, or as she feels it needs.

• Like 3

I'd read up on gap years and how to document them for college or employment. Have her pick a plan and structure. I think it would be better if she was sticking to a plan and structure to justify the year for others rather than you. I think it would reduce friction. And like with any resume item, it can be adjusted as the year progresses, or as she feels it needs.

This sounds just right for her right now. We've started researching a gap year/writing sabbatical and it feels so much happier than hurry up and pick a college whether you like it or not!

• Like 3