Menu

It's been awhile since my last visit. I'm hoping that my past involvement in the boards earns me a bit of consideration for my crisis. I need practical advice and being an introvert who recently moved, real life input is limited.

We have been homeschoolers for 8+ years. Two of our children (12) & (15) will be homeschooled next year. For the first time, I'm considering joining an academic co-op. The curriculum seems fine. It's not what we've used but it's solid, reputable curriculum. It's one day of class covering history, language arts, science and an elective. Following co-op day there are four days of assignments to prepare for the next class. Assignment are turned in and graded.

My children are academically able to do the work. We've just recently moved so meeting people would help us all feel more anchored in our new area. That being said, I'm feeling hesitant about turning over my control and freedom to a co-op. I'm swinging back and forth like pendulum about this and need a dose of perspective from some who have btdt. What says the hive?

Welcome back! I agree, that's a tough thing to do. I've never been able to do it! We did a more casual co-op one year--it met every other week, and covered more peripheral classes--we did speech, a book discussion, current events, PE, and geography (and my kids skipped geography since it didn't fit my plan that year). All of our "core" high school classes were things I did at home and not based on outside instruction or pacing. That has worked best for me (and we've done PE and Art classes separate from a co-op as well). 

I'd ask as many questions as you can about how it will be run, try to meet people ahead of time if you can--if they are still meeting this year, can you visit a class to see what it's like? That sort of thing. The more info you have, the better. What do your kids think--are they excited about the possibility? 

• Like 2

Welcome back! ...

I'd ask as many questions as you can about how it will be run, try to meet people ahead of time if you can--if they are still meeting this year, can you visit a class to see what it's like? That sort of thing. The more info you have, the better. What do your kids think--are they excited about the possibility?

Thank you! We took a tour and had an interview with the director last week. It seems like a well run program. Both kids are unsure about the change. There are good things and bad. We attended an enrichment co-op for years and we all loved that. None of us are sure about having someone direct our academics.

• Like 1

It sounds great, I love our homeschool classes but they are taught by credentialed teachers and we pay, not by moms...

That said, maybe you can see samples of work? Or something?

What about just taking half of those classes? English is very fun to do in a class, so is history. Science is also fun because of labs but id your high schoolers are intent on a science field I would not rely on a co-op.

Anyway I would just do one academic class and an elective and also volunteer so you get a feel for the community. As your kids get plugged in they'll meet more people and you won't feel so lost next year.

((Hugs)) moving is hard

Welcome back! I'm the same as Merry. I much prefer co-op or homeschool organized programs for non-academic subjects. I guess it depends on your goals and what is available in your area. If it's mainly social interaction you want for your dc, then sports, drama, etc. would be great for that. 

If I'm going to do academic subjects with other homeschoolers, I like doing it in small groups where the other moms and I have complete control over the curriculum, and we share the teaching load ourselves, or we hire a tutor for our dc to teach the curriculum we decide. 

• Like 1

I agree - change is hard.

While I pick and choose what to outsource and how to outsource, I know many who do exactly what you are considering. We have a great local high school coop in which you can pick and choose to take one or more (or all) your core classes. You can also take electives. Many of my friends have students that do all their classes through the coop and are very happy.

Is it an option to only do a couple of classes through the coop. That way you might be able to have the social outlet without giving up all academic control.

Go visit and visit again if you are on the fence. Is there a reason you are looking to join? New city, new network of friends? Are there any other outlets that will provide the social interaction? Maybe you want to find an elective coop. Maybe you just need a break from teaching and this is the best alternative? I'm not sure what your underlying reasons are for considering and if there are any other options that fit your needs.

First, I must say that every time I read the thread title, I think of the Barbie that whined, "Math is hard."  

Moving on . . . 

We probably would not be able to hand over that level of control. It's one day of co-op, but all five days of work. One thought is to maybe do it for one semester to meet people, but I'd probably check out all other possibilities first. 

What grade is the 15-yr-old in? Do the co-op offerings align with his usual rigor and/or what he wants to appear on his transcript? 

That said, maybe you can see samples of work? Or something

Anyway I would just do one academic class and an elective and also volunteer so you get a feel for the community. As your kids get plugged in they'll meet more people and you won't feel so lost next year.

((Hugs)) moving is hard

We've seen the syllabuses/syllabi used for several of the classes. It is solid academically. Similar to what we might do but without the flexibility of our normal routine.

This particular co-op is all or nothing.

Thanks for the empathy!

I agree - change is hard.

Is there a reason you are looking to join? New city, new network of friends? Are there any other outlets that will provide the social interaction? Maybe you want to find an elective coop. Maybe you just need a break from teaching and this is the best alternative? I'm not sure what your underlying reasons are for considering and if there are any other options that fit your needs.

Thank you for the empathy.

The first reason for joining a group is connection to support and potential friendship. We go to church, scouts, soccer, martial arts, so we aren't isolated but those (except church) are individual activities. In our previous home our co-op provided a sense of community that we are really missing now.

My other motivation is that there will be a sort of accountability for work that we don't have right now. That might be a positive thing for my ds15 as he prepares to begin dual credit classes in a few years.

First, I must say that every time I read the thread title, I think of the Barbie that whined, "Math is hard."

Moving on . . .

We probably would not be able to hand over that level of control. It's one day of co-op, but all five days of work. One thought is to maybe do it for one semester to meet people, but I'd probably check out all other possibilities first.

What grade is the 15-yr-old in? Do the co-op offerings align with his usual rigor and/or what he wants to appear on his transcript?

I'm feeling kind of whiny so whiny Barbie sounds about right.

If we sign up for this it's a full year commitment.

Ds15 will be a sophomore. Yes, the classes will be fine for his transcript.

Thanks so much for the input! I'm thinking maybe looking for something more in the line of an elective option might be a better choice.

You have to figure out what works for you. For my kids, they find their sense of community through church, scouts and an ultimate Frisbee team. 

I have outsourced some classes to online providers which has taught my kids a lot about accountability to an outside teacher. This allows me to pick and choose what classes I want my kids to take. 

Hope you find your path.  :closedeyes:

I know exactly what you mean.  There are some co-ops around here that are similar but I am not willing to give up control.  The one co-op we are in is an a la cart one so I can choose which classes dd takes.  If I were you I would find out what they are using for the curriculum and see if they will  work for you.  If you are not happy with their material I would look to see if there is a different co-op in the area or see if you can just take certain classes and opt out of the ones you do not like.

Interesting question - for those who have already made this difficult decision, did you think the more structured expectations of a formal co-op is ore similar to what is expected of kids in college? Does the flexibility of doing your own curriculum prepare kids for the rigor and regimented life of a college schedule? It is child dependent? Or does it truly not matter?

We visited another co-op today and both kids left smiling and excited. They even asked if they could work over the summer because there's a class they want to be prepared to take. Now that's what I'm talking about!

This experience just reinforced the truth that we all homeschool for our own reasons. We (my family) homeschool the way we homeschool because it best fits our needs and desires. I need to be sure that I stay true to our personal goals for our homeschool.

Thanks for the input everyone. It helped with perspective.

• Like 5

We visited another co-op today and both kids left smiling and excited. They even asked if they could work over the summer because there's a class they want to be prepared to take. Now that's what I'm talking about!

I am so glad you found an option that was a better fit!! I think having a coop in a new area would really help the transition. Having the right coop will be even better though!

:thumbup: