Menu

Review Algebra 1

DD will be taking Alg 2 next year.  This year was Geometry.  She will be done with the book before the end of the school year and I would like to have her start an Alg 1 review(I'm sure she's a bit rusty...)

Any suggestions on something she might not hate me for by the end of the summer?:)

Thanks!

You could get a different Algebra 1 text (or use the one you have) and go through the chapter reviews or tests and stop and spend more time when needed. That is what I am doing.

Lial's is good for this and it is cheap. OP, you could have your dd go through the chapter reviews, doing every other problem or so.

Personal recommendation for testing through w/something like Lial's:

Take every chapter test, working every problem. If the student scores an A, explain and re-work any missed problems and move on. If they score a B/C, explain and re-teach any missed concepts, and work the chapter review as well for extra practice. If they score less than that, work anywhere from part to all of the chapter sections, based on the problems that they missed (don't do every problem, select them), then do the chapter review and evaluate knowledge from there. 

What is she going to use for Algebra 2? Some books have quite a bit of review/overlapping topics at the beginning.

Something new...Derek Owens.  She used CLE for Alg 1. I am assuming there will be some overlap.  I have no idea how much since we are changing programs.

You could get a different Algebra 1 text (or use the one you have) and go through the chapter reviews or tests and stop and spend more time when needed. That is what I am doing.

Lial's is good for this and it is cheap. OP, you could have your dd go through the chapter reviews, doing every other problem or so.

I have Lial's Intermediate.  That's more of Alg 2 right?

Personal recommendation for testing through w/something like Lial's:

Take every chapter test, working every problem. If the student scores an A, explain and re-work any missed problems and move on. If they score a B/C, explain and re-teach any missed concepts, and work the chapter review as well for extra practice. If they score less than that, work anywhere from part to all of the chapter sections, based on the problems that they missed (don't do every problem, select them), then do the chapter review and evaluate knowledge from there. 

Thanks.  That is a good plan.

I am not familiar with the Intermediate, but I have Lial's introductory and it seems to be most Algebra 1 topics. It may be missing a few things that my Foerster Algebra 1 has.

Yes, Intermediate is algebra 2. Intro is algebra 1.

Yep. But beginning/introductory is very cheap on amazon. 

Thanks!  I will buy that one today.  I did the intermediate with ds many years ago.  I really liked it.

I've owned Lial's for a few months and have been using it to review algebra with a child that finished geometry in December. I like that it has a cumulative review after each chapter. We went through the chapter tests and now she is going through the cumulative reviews which is really what I should have done first. Most kids wouldn't need this much review, but she does so I am glad to have it.

I've owned Lial's for a few months and have been using it to review algebra with a child that finished geometry in December. I like that it has a cumulative review after each chapter. We went through the chapter tests and now she is going through the cumulative reviews which is really what I should have done first. Most kids wouldn't need this much review, but she does so I am glad to have it.

Thank you for the personal experience tip!

I've never used it, but Live Online Math has a summer refresher course for $80.

We did this last summer with my oldest son, and it was pretty much exactly what we were looking for as an Algebra I review prior to Algebra II. One live class session per week followed by weekly assignments to complete before the next class.

It was nice to have the accountability to make sure that it "got done" over the summer. A good review of key topics that were important in Algebra II this year. We also take the Live Online Math full classes (3xweekly live sessions) during the year, and I highly recommend those as well. My two older boys love Mr. Bovey as a teacher, and my youngest son will be starting pre-pre-Algebra with him next year (my last student!). He does the best job I've seen of preventing distractions in the chat as well as making the class very interactive for all students in the online format!

• Like 1

An additional thought: I wanted to make sure dd was rock solid in Algebra, so she is going through Derek Owens Algebra in 12 weeks. She likes it so much (of course she is sailing through!) she is going to continue with DO geometry and Algebra 2.

That's something I did not give much consideration.  Is she doing the entire thing or only review/tests?

I have liked the materials by All Things Algebra on TPT. She has lots of games to make it more fun an a solid review pack: https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Algebra-1-End-of-Year-Review-Packets-Quizzes-679354

I have not used this one, but I am preparing to use the geometry one for my dd. 

I use a lot of TPT stuff.  It looks great.

Did you buy this or get it through a school? I've wanted some of their books, but their website says they only sell to schools.

Amazon has some

"Simple Solutions Common Core Mathematics"

if you find the ISBN you can probably order it from somewhere

update: found it but at rip-off price - list is $13.75

here are some samples:

http://www.crestwoodschools.org/olc/class.aspx?id=31909&s=776

http://www.laurel.k12.ky.us/userfiles/914/Classes/44002/Simple%20Solutions%20Lesson%205-8.pdf

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/200973202093575332/

================

Item # Description ISBN # Price

CCM 0KS Simple Solutions, Common Core Mathematics

Kindergarten Student Edition 978-1-60873-152-7 $13.75

CCM 1S Simple Solutions, Common Core Mathematics Grade 1

Student Edition 978-1-60873-153-4 $13.75

CCM 2S Simple Solutions, Common Core Mathematics Grade 2

Student Edition 978-1-60873-316-3 $13.75

CCM 3S Simple Solutions, Common Core Mathematics Grade 3

Student Edition 978-1-60873-317-0 $13.75

CCM 4S Simple Solutions, Common Core Mathematics Grade 4

Student Edition 978-1-60873-318-7 $13.75

CCM 5S Simple Solutions, Common Core Mathematics Grade 5

Student Edition 978-1-60873-160-2 $13.75

CCM 6S Simple Solutions, Common Core Mathematics Grade 6

Student Edition 978-1-60873-161-9 $13.75

CCM 7S Simple Solutions, Common Core Mathematics Grade 7

Student Edition 978-1-60873-162-6 $13.75

CCM 8S Simple Solutions, Common Core Mathematics Grade 8

Student Edition 978-1-60873-163-3 $13.75

Note: Student texts are sold in class sets only. — Every student must have his/her own book!

**Electronic Teacher’s Editions and Curriculum Resource Materials are available online and are

complimentary with the purchase of a class set of student books.

• Like 1

Did you buy this or get it through a school? I've wanted some of their books, but their website says they only sell to schools.

They'll sell to home educators; you just have to call or email. Great math review books- we've added them to our main math for years with great success.
  • Like 1

I buy the books directly from Simple Solutions.  I did have to send them proof that I homeschool - it was easy peasy.  

They are very helpful, and I love their workbooks.  We have used many.

So you know - the Common Core math is much more difficult than the standard math.

My only complaint is that the solutions are not provided - just the answers.

• Like 1

I buy the books directly from Simple Solutions.  I did have to send them proof that I homeschool - it was easy peasy.  

They are very helpful, and I love their workbooks.  We have used many.

So you know - the Common Core math is much more difficult than the standard math.

My only complaint is that the solutions are not provided - just the answers.

Don't they have a teacher's edition?