Menu

What are some STEM must haves for a young child who is interested (obsessed) with science and engineering? 

We already have:

- A microscope with many prepared slides

- Snap Circuits 

- Thames & Cosmos intro to engineering kit

- My First Mind Blowing Science kit

- Laurie Fun With Magnets

- Lots of Lego's

- Lots of K'nex 

- A marble run

I'm considering signing up for Tinker Crate, is this worth the money? 

What else should I look into? Thank you! 

• Like 1

How about making your own tinker box? Collect random things that can be combined to make other things. We also get little whatnots from thrift stores--clocks, radios, calculators--& take them apart. Camp Invention is a week-long summer camp that I highly recommend.

• Like 2

How about making your own tinker box? Collect random things that can be combined to make other things. We also get little whatnots from thrift stores--clocks, radios, calculators--& take them apart. Camp Invention is a week-long summer camp that I highly recommend.

Oh yeah, we have a tinker box already too. It's more like a tinker work bench lol. That's a great idea to go to the thrift store though. I will look into Camp Invention, thank you! 

My science loving, how stuff works kid loves snap circuits. We've had them for years and he still gets then out a few times a week.

Eta didnt notice them on your list till I scrolled back up and they jumped out at me... so I recommend more of them, we have several "expansion" packs too.

Edited by FawnsFunnyFarm
  • Like 1

What about coding? There are some great apps out there but DS's favorite is The Foos. DS also had a subscription to BitsBox too which is coding but meant to be used on a real keyboard:

https://bitsbox.com

Likewise what about a robot to program that brings coding to life? Like the Wonder ones:

https://store.makewonder.com/?gclid=CjwKEAjwq5LHBRCN0YLf9-GyywYSJAAhOw6mLNv1PNpj06mubXv6R46TrvwEQQmh-dsrJ5YPcDhO2xoCwb_w_wcB#/robots

DS has really enjoyed Kiwi Crate this year. Rainbow Resource has single Tinker Crates you can buy and you can buy them from the company too. Might be a good way to see if it's a good fit before you commit to a subscription.

Edited by ExcitedMama

Geomag, especially Geomag Mechanics Set

Citiblocs 

The Science and History Project Book

Lots of clay

Minecraft 

Rpi and Scratch

Programming for kids through robotic. We have Littlebits, Mindstorms, Ozobots, MBots and planning to buy Marty the robot and 3Doodler pen

...and of course lots of pens, pencils, stencils, spirograph, art book, etc.

We have a lot of the stuff you have. We also have:

Zoob STEM challenge (these are fun!)

Lego Chain Reactions (kind of like Rube Goldberg machines)

Tinker Crates - worth the $$, for sure

Scratch programming books

CoderDojo: Building a Website - we got this today and my son says it is AWESOME!

I'm looking at Ozobot and StickBot Studio. Maybe for Christmas.

We tried Camp Invention, but I didn't think it was worth the $$. The big "invention" part was really open-ended, and it took my kid 4 days to figure out what he wanted to make because no one was helping him stay on task. The actual inventions were kind of lame. They were encouraged to bring in all sorts of electronics, but weren't allowed to power their inventions at all. It was all conceptual. My son took a plastic flowerpot and duct taped an old CD to it and make it into a hat of some type. They each got a little solar powered cricket thing that they just glued together. I don't think he learned anything and it all seemed kind of chaotic.

Some things we have really enjoyed that I don't see above:

simple machine parts - pulleys, gears, etc

google "squishy circuits" 

(we ordered a bunch of wire, battery packs, resistors, gears, motors, and LEDs for the two above projects)

a hand-operated drill (this gets SO MUCH USE at my house)

a handsaw and miter box

other things that get a lot of use include jars for collecting samples, agar plates for growing stuff, big containers like fishbowls and tanks for growing/observing/collecting, an outside growing space for whatever they want to grow

a box of multi-sided dice, graph paper, a large Venn diagram. We have larger-square graph paper (each square is 1/2 inch?) and it is surprisingly useful. 

the game "Prime Climb" is pretty hot around here these days. 

Sugru https://sugru.com/

We have jeweler's loupes and a Brock Magiscope that we take into the field with us.

We tried Camp Invention, but I didn't think it was worth the $$.

I don't think he learned anything and it all seemed kind of chaotic.

Same here, but my kids are enjoying these lessons too much and I will continue send just for this reason.

For home we have bought an excellent board game Extraordinaires Design Studio Pro https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019AVTALY/ref=s9_acsd_hps_bw_c_x_2_w and it was a hit. 

Good to hear! Both of my kids are going to Camp Invention this summer (First time. My son has wanted to go for the past few years, but been out of town when it was offered)

Both of my kids really love the Goldieblox Craft-Struction Box my daughter got for Christmas:

(I am not, in general, fond of the Goldieblox products. But a relative got it and it gets pulled out several times a week!)

•  
Roll over image to zoom in

Google make has a free online maker camp during the summer. Lots of fun there.

I could only find something from 2015. I hope I'm just looking wrong, so can someone post a link if they actually are planning on doing this this year?

We have a lot of the stuff you have. We also have:

Zoob STEM challenge (these are fun!)

Lego Chain Reactions (kind of like Rube Goldberg machines)

Tinker Crates - worth the $$, for sure

Scratch programming books

CoderDojo: Building a Website - we got this today and my son says it is AWESOME!

I'm looking at Ozobot and StickBot Studio. Maybe for Christmas.

We tried Camp Invention, but I didn't think it was worth the $$. The big "invention" part was really open-ended, and it took my kid 4 days to figure out what he wanted to make because no one was helping him stay on task. The actual inventions were kind of lame. They were encouraged to bring in all sorts of electronics, but weren't allowed to power their inventions at all. It was all conceptual. My son took a plastic flowerpot and duct taped an old CD to it and make it into a hat of some type. They each got a little solar powered cricket thing that they just glued together. I don't think he learned anything and it all seemed kind of chaotic.

Interesting, your take on Camp Invention. We walked away from it extremely happy. She was a 5 yr old rising 1st grader then & so the creative & colllaborative aspects were of utmost importance, rather than specific output--it helped her unleash her creative side. She'll be a 7 yr old rising 3rd grader & I'll be interested to see her repsonse to this year's camp (although the creative process still reins supreme in my book, at this age). Edited by Earthmerlin