Menu

Guest bedroom question.

Remudamom

I can't figure out the poll thing but here goes.

I have three guest bedrooms now. #1 set up with a trundle twin bed and baby crib. #2 with twin beds. #1 and #2 have a bathroom between them. #3 is a master bedroom with walk in closet and bathroom. I

think I should put a king size bed in there. Dh says more twins would be more versatile. What does

the board say?

Edited by Remudamom

King, definitely.

It's good to have a big bed for couples.

Seems like double beds are now regarded as being for a single person, so for a couple you want a king or CA king or at least a queen.  Personally, I prefer the CA king--it's narrower but longer than a regular king.

Why do you have so many guest rooms?  I think that I'd be tempted to turn one into something else--a library/craft room, or an exercise room.  

We have a rental house, kind of large, that a single man once rented for a few years.  He turned the master bedroom into his gym--it had windows placed to make a good cross draft, and he put in a weight bench, treadmill, some kind of overhead machine, and a rowing machine.  He used a smaller bedroom to sleep in.  I thought that was creative.

• Like 2

I would prefer to sleep with my spouse, when visiting, on a bed big enough. A King would be decadent and give even more space for the cosleeping infant that accompanied us. We could probably fit an older child in too. lol.

Edited by xixstar
  • Like 2

Twins, but get a king size mattress pad or foam topper so you can push them together into one bed if you want to. I know lots of people who do this.

ETA that I thought I'd read all the posts above, but I missed that J-rap already suggested this. Sorry, J-rap.

Edited by Amira
  • Like 4

Glad to see you here.  Before I forget......most importantly, I recently bought a little reining QH mare that came from CO.  She is Zans Tari breeding and is a nice stout 14.2hh.  Had her out for our first trail ride yesterday and she did great.

Ok, now to your question.....I would think a K if you have the room for it or the 2 twins with the kit to make it into a K with a topper.  Dh and I can not share a double, would do a Q but we love a K.  If you are using it mostly for families then the K would be the way to go.  If you are hosting a lot of different types of groups then the 2 twins set up as a K would be nice.  You would have the added cost of the kit and 3 sets of bedding but it would be more versatile.  DH and I will not even consider a hotel, etc. unless there is at least a Q size bed.

• Like 1

I'll go for the King size bed. When my kids were younger, it was easy to put them in the middle of a king size hotel bed so that they don't roll off the bed since they are sandwiched. They fell out of twin beds. Babies and toddlers who can climb out of cribs were also put down for naps on queen/king size beds in my relatives' master bedroom with an adult or two staying in the bedroom.

I would prefer to sleep with my spouse, when visiting, on a bed big enough. A King would be decadent and give even more space for the cosleeping infant that accompanied us. We could probably fit an older child in too. lol.

King, for sure! My parents have many guest bedrooms that can accommodate at least two of my sisters and I and our families when we come in from out of state. It is great to have so much space. But DH and I have always slept in a double bed. Our kids are older now, but during those years when they were littler a Queen would have been so much better for our co sleeping family, and a King would have been a dream. Often our young children wouldn't want to sleep alone in an unfamiliar place and end up with us.

Twins, but keep on hand a king size foam mattress topper and set of king sheets. When you need king size, push the beds together and assemble the bedding. When you need two separate beds, you've got them. We have done this and found it's the most versatile use of guest room space.

ETA I see others said this before I did. Echo!

Edited by Seasider

Jenn in Fla- Ha. I messed with dh's head. Told him I'd bought a kangaroo....I've got a pic of me and "Gracie" but can't seem to load 

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

YOU have certainly not lost that wicked sense of humor...  :rolleyes:

A kangaroo huh?   :svengo:   He probably stopped and weighed the odds that you really did or really didn't and then was too smart to bet either way! Tis a genuine miracle that this man has been able to keep up with you for this long!

Good to see you, it's been far too long.  :closedeyes:

:coolgleamA: **Note to the Uninitiated**  NEVER EVER EVER drink liquids or try to swallow anything when reading this gals postings.  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!  :coolgleamA:

• Like 4

Twins, but get a king size mattress pad or foam topper so you can push them together into one bed if you want to. I know lots of people who do this.

ETA that I thought I'd read all the posts above, but I missed that J-rap already suggested this. Sorry, J-rap.

This is common all over the world; I just haven't seen it in the U.S. So much more flexibility. And no lugging of huge mattresses around.

I would put a larger bed in, either a king or queen. Unless it is a very wide room and could accommodate two queens with a small table between, as one might find in a hotel. Then a family could share the space.

Or a queen plus a futon or small sleeper sofa.

However, if your family lives nearby, you may not need that many extra beds, in which case I'd just go with a king or queen.

I can't figure out the poll thing but here goes.

I have three guest bedrooms now. #1 set up with a trundle twin bed and baby crib. #2 with twin beds. #1 and #2 have a bathroom between them. #3 is a master bedroom with walk in closet and bathroom. I

think I should put a king size bed in there. Dh says more twins would be more versatile. What does

the board say?

King size bed in the master bedroom. Trundle bed/baby crib and twin beds in the rooms with the jack-and-jill bathroom.

ETA: It's always good to see you here. :001_wub:

Edited by Ellie

Since you have triplets, it's possible you will have a lot of littles running around in relatively close timing. Striking a balance between beds for parents and beds for kids might be tricky~ 

I vote for a queen bed. That way, married couples could sleep together but (depending on the size & configuration of the room) there would be room for a portable crib or air mattress for a child. You can also put two or  three little kids in a queen if you want to (and if they will actually sleep like that). 

Another option would be some bunk beds in the the other rooms if you ever redo those. You could put two sets of bunk beds in the space of two twin beds (assuming you have room for the ladders). Drawers could be built into the bottom of the bunk sets. 

• Like 1

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

YOU have certainly not lost that wicked sense of humor...  :rolleyes:

A kangaroo huh?   :svengo:   He probably stopped and weighed the odds that you really did or really didn't and then was too smart to bet either way! Tis a genuine miracle that this man has been able to keep up with you for this long!

Good to see you, it's been far too long.  :closedeyes:

:coolgleamA: **Note to the Uninitiated**  NEVER EVER EVER drink liquids or try to swallow anything when reading this gals postings.  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!  :coolgleamA:

We were picking up some equipment at an implement store where the owner raises kangaroos.  While he was outside loading and I was inside paying the lady gave me the baby and played along.  We walked outside with it in my arms like a baby and I was saying "But can I name her whatever I want?" and she said "Of course", and started giving me feeding instructions.  I wish I could post the pic, it was really a cute little thing.

SaveSave

SaveSave

Edited by Remudamom
  • Like 2

Our two kings are both twins put together.

Makes the many moves easier. Most of the time now the guestroom beds are pushed together, but when needed we just pull them apart.

Our bed is two twins as well. It started because we had two antique twin bed frames. Later we realized it made moving simpler.

• Like 1

I always smile when people say couples can't sleep in a double bed. My husband and I have, by choice, only ever had double beds. We are tall to boot. So it's not unheard of, though admittedly the mattress sales person we bought our last bed from was aghast, lol.

That said, in your shoes I'd do twins that can be pushed together or pulled apart, depending on who visits you. More flexible.