Menu

The Tired Horse Ranch Teachers Lounge 4-4-2017

scrapbookbuzz

Because I'm a tired horse!  :D

Actually, because I AM tired and we're going out to the ranch this morning for the kids' horsemanship lesson.

Anyone ever done a City Slickers type vacation? Here: dh and I have both mentioned that we'd love to go on a cattledrive while we're still relatively able.

Anyone live where ranchers drive their cattle for the summer? Here: live, no. But we vacationed in a CO town to which  ranchers from TX would drive their cattle for the summer. The town made sure to let the ranchers know, though, they needed to have the cattle out before September, due to HIGH chances of snow!

Anyone been doing any gardening? Here: gardening, no. I'm still not sure what to do there. "Weeding", yes. Meaning, I've been digging up dandelions the past couple of weeks but that's for medicinal purposes. Speaking of which, I need to process the dandelions that are currently drying in my kitchen. A tincture makes a great tonic (cleanser) for your liver.

Talk to me! :bigear: 

• Like 3

I got my first trail ride in on my new horse yesterday. Enjoyed that.

No to a city slicker ranch vacation. No to the cattle drive. No to the gardening as it is 42 and raining in Michigan.

Today is vet day though for the horses.

• Like 4

No to the first two questions but yes to the last. We dug out our black spot riddled hawthorns and replaced them with new shrubs. It was back breaking work, and I was exhausted when we finished. My hands ached all night long! Now I need to get some flowering annuals to put in that bed and some mulch. Also, I've been hitting the Lowe's plant clearance rack for cheap plants to replace those I've lost.

• Like 3

City Slickers vacation: Nope. Dh just said the same thing as Margaret: "That would be more chores, not a vacation!" I would love to take a horseback riding trip across Iceland someday, though.

Cattle drives: No, there are lots of cattle here but no cattle drives.

Gardening:  It's still too cold here for gardening, but I did get seeds for my flower beds (morning glories, moss roses, four o'clocks, nasturtiums, snapdragons, and zinnias).

• Like 2

City Slickers: Um... I gather that's going to a ranch to work?  I've never seen that movie lol That would be a definite no.

Ranchers drive cattle: No, not in San Antonio obviously, but there are some not way too far away.  Not the same thing, but when we were in Ireland we had to stop on the road while the rancher took his cattle across the highway to their other grazing spot.  it took an extra long time because one of them got a bit amorous.

Gardening: I don't garden because of my incredibly black thumb.  My husband's the gardener and, yes, he has been.

• Like 2

So glad to see some new faces today! And, as always, glad to see the 'regulars.'

We are now home from the ranch and I though I'd pop in here to see what's up while my son was changing clothes in his room.

He has now migrated to my room to play Minecraft and I will soon be heading to his room to collapse on his bed. I'm TIRED. Not just from today but from the 16 hour shift on Thursday, followed by maybe 3.5 - 4 hours sleep, then a 6am-Noon shift on Friday, followed by taxiing kids and errands, followed by a morning desert walkabout (survival related) on Saturday morning, followed by a shopping stint to find shoes for dd in the afternoon, followed by RenFest with kids and BFFs on Sunday (out in the sun), followed by a 10 hour shift yesterday during the final activities of the Final Four. I think I have a right to feel tired now! But now that I have nowhere to be for about another 6 hours, it's time to crash!

If anyone feels led to go buy snacks for the Lounge, please do so! Although, as always, we do have coffee and tea available.

See you all later!

• Like 3

I have smokehouse almonds, gluten free pretzels, and celery to share. Going to stop for coffee soon.

And KENTUCKY IS BLOOMING AND IT IS GREEN AND PRETTY AND WARM!

How is it that people who love rocketry like we do end up in MICHIGAN?

Team is doing great! They are being a super easy traveling bunch so far.

The lounge needa to meet up for cheesecake and ices tea.

• Like 5

Good afternoon! We're watching the weather trying to decide when to head home. We're in Ohio and hoping to wait out the storms headed toward our path home (down 75 South). 

Nope to a ranching/farming vacation. We prefer to vacation in the city. We went to Chicago last summer and loved it. A favorite place for us is DC. We have yet to make it to NYC, but that's a goal. 

We live in middle GA, so there aren't any cattle drives here. There are cattle farms, especially dairy farms. 

We aren't gardening yet, but dh usually does a couple of small raised beds. 

Edited by mom31257
  • Like 3

Going to work on a ranch? No. When I was a kid though, we'd sometimes go on vacation to Austria, and I remember that the family that owned the inn(?) also had a few cows (like, 4?), and some sheep, so I remember volunteering to walk the cows to/from pasture a few times (small distance). And giving one of the lambs a bottle because he was rejected by his mom (I'm pretty sure they sold him for slaughter later that season, because he was born late in the season and just wasn't going to be worth keeping, but that would've been after our vacation was over). The sheep were up in the mountains though, so I didn't do anything with them. I did volunteer to help haying once, with a scythe - which was a mistake, as I hadn't understood that the man meant I was supposed to help for 3-4 hours (my German was not perfect), and so since I was volunteering to help he left his son at home (which I didn't realize at the time). He was so not amused when I left after an hour or so... I sort of feel bad, in retrospect, but it was hot, and I was not used to using a scythe, so my arms were more than done after an hour - I don't think I would've been useful to him if I'd stayed longer. I suspect neither of us made that mistake ever again. 

• Like 2