Menu

What happens if your pet has a seizure but you do not witness it?

Ginevra

Because my cat has kidney disease, I am aware that he may have a seizure (or more than one seizure), but it is possible he may have a seizure that I do not witness. What would happen? Would I know this must have happened? Would he suffer brain damage?

Animal seizures are much like human seizures. If you find your cat acting weird- sleeping and you can't wake him up, crying for no reason, etc- he might have just had a seizure. Animals also tend to lose bladder control, so if you find a urine puddle somewhere and your cat doesn't normally pee outside the litterbox, it might be from a seizure.

Unless the seizure is abnormally long, he should be fine afterward. You don't need to rush him to the vet if you suspect a seizure because you already know the cause.

• Like 2

Our dog has a few seizures a year, and I have to assume he has had some when we aren't home.  He lays down, his legs and tail get stiff, and he has this sort of rhythmic rocking/shaking.  It lasts about 3-5 minutes (although it feels like hours) but there is really nothing to do.  If we are here we sit near him and say "it's ok" and pet him over and over but I'm not sure he is aware of it. 

Our dog looks a little out of it for a few hours after he has had a seizure - a little groggy?  off, maybe?  But other than that there is no change or anything.

• Like 1