Menu

Do you have small furniture/furniture that doubles?

DawnM

We will be moving to a smaller house.  

I have lived in a small house with furniture that was probably too big.  I want it to look spacious.   I am not a true minimalist.  

I am just thinking of things like, maybe murphy beds so the kids have more space in the day???

Narrower chairs and sofa.  Right now we have the bulky nice reclining type.  But I still want comfortable.

If you use rooms for different purposes, or utilize space well, what do you do?

We will no longer be homeschooling, so that will help.

I am not sure if this wil help because my husband made our beds. My girls used loft beds, like I remember people making in college (except ours were made of super heavy wood). I think it was something like this..although the price of this make me laugh. http://www.pbteen.com/products/girls-sleep-and-study-loft/

I think you can get a dorm flip chair or loveseat underneath, if not wanting a desk. They gave us more floor space, but you have to set it up so they don't smack their head :). I love the murphy bed idea. Ironically, now, my girls love having their beds on the ground and study/ hang out on their beds.

My oldest wanted a sleeper sofa when he was around 9 , so he had a sofa in his room. He liked it.

Desks that fold out from the wall are fun. http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/the-best-wall-mounted-desks-and-tables-226761

Edited by Silver Brook
  • Like 2

I am not sure if this wil help because my husband made our beds. My girls used loft beds, like I remember people making in college (except ours were made of super heavy wood). I think it was something like this..although the price of this make me laugh. http://www.pbteen.com/products/girls-sleep-and-study-loft/

I think you can get a dorm flip chair or loveseat underneath, if not wanting a desk. They gave us more floor space, but you have to set it up so they don't smack their head :). I love the murphy bed idea. Ironically, now, my girls love having their beds on the ground and study/ hang out on their beds.

My oldest wanted a sleeper sofa when he was around 9 , so he had a sofa in his room. He liked it.

Desks that fold out from the wall are fun. http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/the-best-wall-mounted-desks-and-tables-226761

We had a loft bed and my son didn't like it.  I wonder if he would like it better if we had higher ceilings and he could actually walk under it.

I know he does like the idea of a sofa bed.  

Wondering about a rolled up futon type thing in their rooms too, like the Japanese have, a roll up mat, to roll up in the day.  Don't know how comfortable they are.

• Like 1

My kids have futon's for beds and we've done the loft bed thing before.  My mom built my brother a loft about 15 years ago out of 2x4 and 2x6's it's gone through him (he's a big boy) many nephews and is still just a sturdy. They have a flip chair and a camp chair under it with the tv for gaming.  I don't know about murphy beds.... I don't think I'd like them. Always having to clean up before you pull down the bed... what if you're sick and feel like crap?  I do like murphy tables though and I'm trying to decide if I want DH to build me one or not.

ETA- use the wall space, people forget how much space there is above their heads and in corners that aren't usable.

Edited by foxbridgeacademy

I've lived in really tiny places, and there is a huge range of actual usefulness of in "multipurpose" furniture.  

For sure, think about scale. While we tend to think about a love seat + 2 chairs as being "flexible", I had a great u-shaped modular couch when living abroad that wrapped a good chunk of the room that was amazing.  I loved my hinged single bed (you could lift up for storage underneath), but hated sleeping on a futon. 

I really think there are just a few keys to fitting into a small place:

1. Use color wisely

2. Create places of visual rest for your eyes

3. Own much, much less

My husband and 4 kids and I could comfortably fit into a 800 square foot apartment with a good layout. We are in a much larger place than that currently, but at some point I suspect we will be somewhere that small again.  Embrace the opportunity to spend less time managing things!

• Like 1

We have done desks in closets before and we're considering this wall mounted desk even though we don't "need" to save a ton of space.  I'm nervous about hanging it well, so we might have someone who knows more than dh install it.  LOL

http://www.target.com/p/floating-desk-with-storage-white-prepac/-/A-49131732?lnk=rec|pdpipadh1_outfit|related_prods_vv|pdpipadh1_outfit|49131732|1

We have storage ottomans. My Youngest sleeps on a loft bed and middle has a captains bed (With drawers built into the bedframe). And our guest bed is a daybed with a trundle. I guess I like multifunctional furniture LOL.  I have a really cool old table of my grandparents that all folds away into a cabinet. Kind of like  THIS TABLE

I also have one of these Ikea tables.

I second or third the storage ottoman suggestion. We use one instead of a coffee table. I have a decorative tray on top to steady glasses or snack plates, but the sides are used as a foot rest. The bachelor recliner that came with dh years ago was too bulky for our small living area. Dh was surprisingly satisfied comfort-wise when we shifted from using a recliner to a sofa/ottoman combo for chiling in the living room. We currently have extra throw blankets and floor pillows in it. It also comes in handy for extra seating when entertaining company. We just move the ottoman from in front of the sofa to in front of the fireplace or corner TV unit just while company is over.

We used to just have petite bedside tables with just a lamp and coaster. I switched to a bedside table that has a small shelf and drawer at the bottom. Makes the bedside table hold so much more stuff than just a decorative table and it looks just as nice.

When I lived in a small apartment, I used the wooden shelves in the closet for clothes that would otherwise be stored in a chest of drawers or dresser.

We don'tt use the entire linen closet, so use the extra shelves for books that aren't in use. I keep a basket of books that we will likely pick up and read here and there in the living room. This saves us from needing bookshelves. The books get rotated out a couple times/year.

Both kids have plastic bins that fit under their beds for games, craft supplies, Legos, and such. Ideally, they pull out the one bin they want to use and put it away when done in effort to keep their small rooms uncluttered. Reality....well....they are kids.....

We have an eat-in kitchen with a small table. It has a leaf we add when extra seating is needed for a a larger crowd. The kitchen is extra tight in that case, but it does allow for a sit down meal for more than 4-6 people when necessary. The leaf is stored under our bed when not in use.

Edited by TX native

Thanks.

Keep the ideas coming.

We are probably moving with just one pod.  If it doesn't fit in the pod, it isn't going.  Our personal effects (clothing, pictures, sentimental stuff, etc...), a couple of folding tables, some folding chairs, at least 3 of our mattresses, TVs, Computers, and possibly two leather rather small chairs so we have something to sit on in the living room to start with.

It is funny because I priced out the cubic sq. ft. of the Pod and realize that every sq. ft. is roughly $5, it makes you really think "Is this worth $20 to move?" or whatever based on the size of the item.

• Like 5

Are they comfortable? We have some folding ones that are NOT very comfortable.

Do they just sleep on them on the floor?

I like them. The 4 inch ones are not very comfortable for an adult though my kids are fine with them, but the 6 inch with memory foam are quite nice. Another option would be Japanese style futons if you like those.

Yes we sleep on them on the floor. The room most of the kids sleep in we have a spot between the dresser and a standing cabinet that is just the right size to fit all of the mattresses when folded up (standing on end not lying flat) then we fold blankets and comforters and stack them on top with the pillows. Leaves the floor clean and bare and available as living space during the day.

I use duvet covers or futon covers over the mattresses rather than sheets.

I sleep on one of these myself, with a bowl shaped cut-out I made to fit my pregnant belly (I've always been a stomach sleeper). With the pregnancy I'm most comfortable layering it on top of another thinner mattress but it was comfortable on its own until a couple of months ago.

Edited by maize
  • Like 1

My RV has a lot of dual purpose stuff. For example, you can get pullout shelves buried in cabinets. This helps with counter space and makes a quick desk when needed. A small, pretty step stool with a piece of wood on top makes a great end table when not needed to change a light bulb. Tables with murals painted underneath can drop down from ceilings. And my bed transforms into the living room. Lol. Another key is having small appliances so one can maximize countertop space.

Good luck. It sounds fun.

My RV has a lot of dual purpose stuff. For example, you can get pullout shelves buried in cabinets. This helps with counter space and makes a quick desk when needed. A small, pretty step stool with a piece of wood on top makes a great end table when not needed to change a light bulb. Tables with murals painted underneath can drop down from ceilings. And my bed transforms into the living room. Lol. Another key is having small appliances so one can maximize countertop space.

Good luck. It sounds fun.

Ok, well, it won't be THAT small.  

I may have made it sound  like it will be smaller than it is.

I have old antique trunks that I use as end tables.

They are not fancy, so I don't mind putting drinks on them.

And they are full of stuff.

I don't use a coffee table, because that makes the room look much more spacious.  I do have an old two piece serving table that I keep folded up in a closet to pull out for company use.  It has a piece that forms into the legs, and another piece that is basically the table top, shaped like a big tray.  That's a very useful item at times, but since it doesn't have to be out all the time I look like I have more room.

Also, I have an antique oval casual walnut table.  It has two drop leaves, and three insert leaves.  So it can seat anywhere from 2 to 12 people, depending on how I configure it, and again, when the leaves are not in use it doesn't take up very much room.

We lived in a house with a tiny master bedroom.  We moved out our king sized bed and bought a full size bedroom set from the 1950's from Craiglist.  The kingsize bed left barely any room to walk around, and it was not possible to even keep a dresser in there.  With the full size bed, we also had two little end tables and a nice sized dresser.  The room size didn't change, but it looked much bigger and the whole room was more pleasant to be in.  The full size bed was a little cozy, but it was okay, and maybe a little romantic!!