Menu

Vietnamese neighbor gifted food, how to reciprocate?

Excelsior! Academy

A Vietnamese family moved in across the street and our kiddos play together often.  They made our family egg rolls and had their daughter send them over.  They were amazing!  I want to thank them and possibly reciprocate.  What is the appropriate way to do this?  

Edited for embarrassing mistake.  My daughter just corrected me.

Edited by Excelsior! Academy
  • Like 1

I think it is a very nice gesture to give them a homeade treat in return, but there is no rush to have to do it right away. In fact, if I were the giver, I might worry that my gift made you feel pressured to hurry and return the gesture. Waiting a few days seems fine.

• Like 3

What would be the appropriate time frame?  Should I make cookies today or would it be better to wait for a few days?

Do what is most convenient.  I would probably wait a couple of days simply because you don't want them to feel like you rushed to the oven to reciprocate.  It can set up a dynamic where each party has to repay the debt.  But if you do it more in a spirit of "thank you so much for sharing your culture with us.  We were making some cookies / quick bread and we wanted to share our culture with you" then it shouldn't set up that sort of obligatory gift giving thing. 

• Like 5

What would be the appropriate time frame? Should I make cookies today or would it be better to wait for a few days?

I'll wait a few days else it feels like you reciprocate because you feel obliged to. My husband's Vietnamese colleagues regularly bring food to office for colleagues and their families . We have been gifted with limes, persimmons and various other food.

• Like 1

I am in an almost comical exchange now with my Indian neighbors - when they have a huge meal (the Dad loves to grill) we get plates of lovely spicy Indian food. I send over homemade baked goods or cookies - but only the kids are allowed to eat them since my kitchen is not halal and the adults are very devout. If your new neighbors are recent immigrants, a sampling of American food would be a fun item to send over. But I agree wait a few days. Right now my neighbor and I basically tag each other "you're it!" as we try to outdo each other :-)

Edited by JFSinIL
  • Like 4

My son is 1/2 Vietnamese.  i would wait to reciprocate.  Maybe 4th of July, if your family grills.  Send them over a slab of ribs, or a brisket.   If not July 4th, Thanksgiving with a smoked/roasted turkey., or a baked  ham at Thanksgiving.  My in-laws really enjoy  the American traditions.

• Like 1

I think if you reciprocated right away, it might even feel awkward for them!  I'd send them a thank you note for now.  Then, next time you have an extra batch of cookies, or something else, send a plateful over for them to taste.

• Like 1