Menu

Watch "13 Reasons Why" on Netflix

stephanier.1765

It was really, really good. Trigger alert though because it concerns teen suicide and other triggers that I won't mention because I don't want to spoil the show. If triggers are something you are concerned about then definitely research before watching.

So, I'm looking at your words "13 Reasons Why" but my head is THINKING: "10 things I hate about you"

Then I read your post and I was like, "HUH? WHA...? SUIC..."

So I looked at the title again and READ the words.

It's odd what my brain does.

• Like 2

Does it have the sexual content of the book?

Yes, it does. The show becomes more graphic as it goes along. However I don't think it's as graphic as the book or at least I don't think so. There's something about reading that really puts something in your mind vs seeing it on screen or TV. At least it is for me but that might be more of a learning style thing...reading vs. visual vs hearing...vs hands on...

Edited by slr1765

I watched the first episode and part of the second - then the kids came home and I had to quit. I actually like it much more than the book, which I tried to read recently but really disliked. I think what makes it work so much better is the third person style of the film version vs. the first person narration in the book. Being inside Clay's head didn't work for me, but watching through his eyes, and his flashbacks, works much better. Also they've toned down the bratty/snarky/preachy aspects of Hannah's persona. I thought it was way too heavy-handed in the book, but the character that is developing on film is much more sympathetic & believable.  Interesting situation where screenwriters take an existing story and actually improve it - IMHO at least.

• Like 2

I watched the first episode and part of the second - then the kids came home and I had to quit. I actually like it much more than the book, which I tried to read recently but really disliked. I think what makes it work so much better is the third person style of the film version vs. the first person narration in the book. Being inside Clay's head didn't work for me, but watching through his eyes, and his flashbacks, works much better. Also they've toned down the bratty/snarky/preachy aspects of Hannah's persona. I thought it was way too heavy-handed in the book, but the character that is developing on film is much more sympathetic & believable.  Interesting situation where screenwriters take an existing story and actually improve it - IMHO at least.

Interesting!  When I read the book I thought that it could translate into a pretty good movie or tv series if they just changed a few of the things you touched on. 

I totally understand WHY the sexual parts were in the book and they fit what she is going through, I just thought that as a recorded thing you would NOT go into that much detail!  (If I'm remembering it correctly.)  I don't appreciate the detail, either, and yet don't think it's necessary to leave it all out, either.  Seeing it will be harder than skimming past it in a book, unfortunately.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Bumping.

I am starting to watch now. 

I was told at my new school all the kids are watching it, and it was recommended that I watch as well.

It is interesting to look at suicide statistics by race.  In my previous school it was 86% AA, 6% Asian, and 6% Hispanic.  There were 3 token white kids.  None of them even mentioned this show or book.

This next school is over 50% white.  The issues are different.  Suicide is one of them.

Bumping.

I am starting to watch now.

I was told at my new school all the kids are watching it, and it was recommended that I watch as well.

It is interesting to look at suicide statistics by race. In my previous school it was 86% AA, 6% Asian, and 6% Hispanic. There were 3 token white kids. None of them even mentioned this show or book.

This next school is over 50% white. The issues are different. Suicide is one of them.

I have no desire to watch it and I have asked my boys not to watch it OR if they want to that I will watch it with them.. But I do agree as a teacher and counselor you are wise to watch it.

• Like 4

I have absolutely NO desire to see this and I think this has caused more suicides among teens than helped the cause.  

Interesting side-note.  The seniors had a project for their senior English class on Thirteen reasons why NOT...They were so creative.  Most used those 3 fold display boards, but their entries were fascinating.  I'm so glad our teacher did that project.  ( No, they did not read the book in class but many of them either had already read it or watched the show on Netflix.)

I have no desire to watch it and I have asked my boys not to watch it OR if they want to that I will watch it with them.. But I do agree as a teacher and counselor you are wise to watch it.

I was a suicidal teen - and my father committed suicide when I was 12. I wouldn't even want to think about what something like this would have done to me. (and no, I don't think it would have been a positive.)   I have no interest in this, and I only have one I can control - and he doesn't watch tv.

I do think as teachers/counselors - it's good to know what's out there to be able to help your students.

I think the school that did a 13 reasons why NOT - was a very forethinking teaching.  they deserves kudos.

• Like 2

I think there are some real issues with how suicide is handled in this series.  This article written by a school counselor sum it up pretty well.

https://theschoolcounselorkind.wordpress.com/2017/04/21/responding-to-13-reasons-why/

Quoted ....

• The show very much over-simplifies suicide. The majority of people who have suicidal thoughts, suicide attempts, or die by suicide, have an underlying mental illness that they need professional treatment for. This show does not mention mental illness, or specifically, depression, at all. Not even once.
  • The 13 tapes created by Hannah before her death romanticize the ability to speak to people “from the beyond.†This is completely unrealistic. The tapes would have taken a rational mind to create; Hannah was not thinking rationally near the end of her life. In fact, most people who die by suicide end up acting impulsively at the very end. Suicide notes are not common.

ETA - I did watch the beginning of the series.  I was so irritated with the way the suicide piece was handled I couldn't finish it without throwing things.  I have had anxiety/depression.  I do know people who have committed suicide.

Edited by WoolySocks
  • Like 3

I think there are some real issues with how suicide is handled in this series.  This article written by a school counselor sum it up pretty well.

https://theschoolcounselorkind.wordpress.com/2017/04/21/responding-to-13-reasons-why/

Quoted ....

• The show very much over-simplifies suicide. The majority of people who have suicidal thoughts, suicide attempts, or die by suicide, have an underlying mental illness that they need professional treatment for. This show does not mention mental illness, or specifically, depression, at all. Not even once.
  • The 13 tapes created by Hannah before her death romanticize the ability to speak to people “from the beyond.†This is completely unrealistic. The tapes would have taken a rational mind to create; Hannah was not thinking rationally near the end of her life. In fact, most people who die by suicide end up acting impulsively at the very end. Suicide notes are not common.

ETA - I did watch the beginning of the series.  I was so irritated with the way the suicide piece was handled I couldn't finish it without throwing things.  I have had anxiety/depression.  I do know people who have committed suicide.

Thank you for this.  This sums up part of what I am feeling/thinking.

The other part of what I am feeling is that to be perfectly honest, if the number of people who were loving towards her where indeed as loving as the show portrayed, then she definitely could not have argued that they were the reasons she killed herself.

Now, the r*pe can really mess with you, I do know that, and I have a family member who was never the same after she was assaulted.  I could write a lot about her and the aftermath of what happened to her physically, mentally, emotionally, etc.....

But the bottom line is, she had support, she just didn't see it or accept it, the TV show was pretty clear on that.

There was a disorder there, a warped thought process, a mental condition, whether it was situational or cognitive, we aren't told because it is fictional, which is a huge component completely left out of the equation.

I had some serious discussions with my son about it last night.  

• Like 2

I watched it, and my dd watched it and I didn't understand where all the hype came from at all after seeing the whole series. I think there have been more provocative, explicit movies about similar things even when I was young. I did wonder if it being a series instead of a two hour movie perhaps made it more intense for some people.

That being said, I have (at the moment) a non dramatic teen. If I had one more prone to certain behaviors I think I might have been more sensitive to it. But there was SO much hype about it, I felt it in both our best interests to watch it and pop the bubble of mystique. It did give us some good conversation starters, but seriously. I feel like, having seen the whole series, the attention given to the show was more of a trigger point and danger than the show itself. I had a completely different perception of the show hearing about it, versus watching it.

Around here at the public schools, for about six weeks after the media peaked,  it seemed that every single negative thing that happened with a teen was blamed on this series. There were huge school assemblies because of it (which wouldn't have been a bad thing were it just not feeding into the overreaction of the whole thing and not really covering much of substance) which was really ironic because the suicide rate has been clearly rising for quite some time. Long before this show popped up. Why not have these assemblies and supports then? Why wait until this show?  It seemed insincere and  more like a cover their asses moment to keep parents from thinking anything like that could happen at "their" school than anything else. But already it's faded into the background. I felt like it allowed attention to be diverted from the pressure cooker lives these kids are living that push them to this and instead let the blame get placed on a show purportedly glorifying suicide, if that makes sense. I'm sure that's not what the makers of the show intended at all, but from what I've seen it just made the parents around here overreact on the sheltering their kids from the show itself, rather than realizing their kids are exposed to a lot of this stuff in the public school system (or any system in general these days) and/or social media and perhaps we as parents need to take a closer look to what they're being exposed to overall and the pressures put under them. I know several mothers who prohibited their teens from watching the show. But did they change their views towards grades, or social media access, or anything else? Nope. Which was an interesting take away for me.