Menu

Is it possible to homeschool HS with little/no outsourcing?

Haven't read the whole thread, but at some point, you might find that you need to outsource something.  I'm not outsourcing anything for my ninth grader this year, but next year, we will be outsourcing Spanish.  I know enough French, Italian, and Latin to work through basic Spanish with a textbook, but she is outpacing my knowledge too quickly.  

We may outsource some other subjects in eleventh and twelfth grade; we haven't decided yet but are planning on it, for a variety of reasons.

At some point, time becomes a factor.  I only have so much of it to read, prep, etc.  My DH will probably take over evaluating writing more next year because it's his strong suit.  It may also depend on the materials you use and your comfort level with the subjects.  

• Like 2

For us, it has not primarily been the steeper academics that led to outsourcing. Let's just say I would be reluctant to homeschool a boy through HS (without outsourcing), unless he were the self-motivated, introvert type. A few online classes have saved our bacon over the last few years. The motivation and performance difference of DS between reporting to Mom and reporting to Outside Instructor has been night and day. Plus he's getting better instruction to boot. Each year we are doing more outsourcing (online classes) and his senior year will prob be entirely online. I never thought we would go this way when he was an elementary student! But needs change.

Yes, several outside classes do approach the cost of a private school tuition. But for us it is worth it, since we have no private high schools in the area, we can retain our flexibility (traveling, etc.), and we can customize his education.

Academically, yes, I believe you can homeschool HS. It really depends on the student.

I agree with pp's that math is the important one to get down. Do what is necessary to get your student a decent math education.

• Like 7

Also, I don't know if this has been touched on already, but I don't think a full day at public school is used efficiently.  For a variety of reasons, I enrolled my oldest, who had been homeschooled from pre-k to 8th grade, in an great public high school nearby for 9th grade.  I have no complaints about the academics or social environment and this is a good experience for her.  However, she's at school from 7:30-3:00, then has 3-4 hours of homework at night (sometimes 5-6 hrs).  This leaves her with very little time to explore her own interests or just be a kid, which is why she's coming home for 10th grade this fall.  We're planning on outsourcing 4-5 of her classes because she works better when people other than mom are holding her accountable.  Also, while I feel competent to teach most of her subjects, I don't have a passion for certain classes and I think I would be doing her a disservice teaching her myself.  Yes, it's $$, but it's within our budget and we feel it's well worth it.

Yes, that is my biggest complaint about having a public school student: the inefficiency of the day. She's gone from 7:30ish to 3ish, and there are still hours of homework (sometimes busywork-type stuff.) My 7th grader loves school, and is in her third year now, but I know the education itself is better at home, and the time is better used. Even with outsourcing :-)

Not sure if this has been said yet, but adolescence can be a homeschooling gamechanger too. When yours are still on the younger side, it's tough to comprehend what might be ahead. I'm taking the sunshine-y baby through that time in life now, and even with her, my easy one, things are different now.

Edited by Gr8lander
  • Like 5

Sure, you can absolutely DIY high school. You just have to be willing to put in a lot of effort and time, and if you aren't already competent to teach the needed subjects, you'll need to self-educate ahead of time. 

:iagree: And this is what I did. Our goal had been to DE for some classes junior and senior year. Life and finances did not allow that. We had to shift gears and graduate ds a year early, which has worked in his favor. Aside from the early graduation, I did not outsource anything. Ds is now a math major and I'm good with math but not great. That was out biggest factor in graduating him early, to allow him to learn math from a more competent teacher. If we had followed the plan to outsource, that might have been the only class anyway. 

I started self-education while he was in elementary. I budgeted for my own books. I read and studied a lot before he got to high school. It made a world of difference. Ds was not aiming for top tier school, however. He knew he wanted to stay close and avoid a lot of debt. He's now a sophomore in college and recently been selected for a paid research position for the summer. 

• Like 4

I was very poor at math in high school.  But somehow over the years I've gained confidence and experience which has made high school math for the second or third time not that hard.  Ds is still taking his general courses but he has done ok in both math and science.  He's not the top student but he's passing just fine.  And what problems he's had have been because of his ADD and EF problems, not the actual math - oh that, and the absolutely horrible math professor he had last term who spend the class sessions talking about Desperate Housewives instead of actually teaching.  But ds was proactive and got a tutor and ended up with a B.  All that to say that I don't think that math has to be this super scary thing even for those of us who aren't naturally mathematically inclined.  It mostly takes consistency and practice. 

• Like 5

Mine started high school this year. We don't do any expensive outsourcing really, but I do take advantage of things as they come up when I can. 

Mine has taken two high school sciences with labs at co-op, because we belong to a small co-op, and we had a science teacher with two kids slightly older than she that teaches science. She has done science with them since she was in 3rd grade, so she just continued on. Those two kids will be moving on to college and to a votech next year, so she won't have that class anymore. I have already planned her high school science at home using WTM materials, and I can't wait honestly. 

She is going to take a 2 day government class soon because we have the opportunity. They will draft a bill, enact the process of debate and passing it through Congress and such. Things like this I do ongoing when the opportunity comes up, towards her essential American Government credit. She also did some projects on the election this year with me. And we will do more when we get there in our 4 yr. WTM cycle while still taking advantage of things like this when they come up.  It is the same for state history for us. She does camps and sports and we pay for the occasional art class or music classes and her sport is ongoing that she has chosen to focus on. 

Everything else besides science that she takes at our co-op is supplementary to our at home curriculum or used as an extra curricular.  We don't belong to high school focused one. We are more of a support group that does some classes each year of whatever anybody wants to do.  She does the monthly newletter class. They write articles about things going on in our homeschool group and print instead of doing a yearbook this year. That will be an extra curricular for her. 

They did a semester of health. I will list that as her health class because the classes and research and writing she did at home coupled with topics she does with girl scouts projects is more than enough for a one semester health credit. 

She has done art projects there, not enough for a credit, but we have art going on at home too, so I just count all of that towards our art credit. 

Things like that.  

I am not too worried that I can't teach things at home either.  I am going to do a video program for math next year to see if that works better for us than the textbook she hates this year. But it's not an expensive live class. I will try a dual enrollment at some point, but right now our state only pays for seniors to do that, so it will have to wait. WTM has given me all that I need to teach her, and I just keep following it because it works for us.  She has been very successful with school so far. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi friends!

My kids are still elementary age, so I don't frequent the high school board much, but I'm always thinking ahead and I'm wondering: Have any of you successfully gotten kids into college with little to no outsourcing of high school?

Yes. And that student has just finished his first year of university, with excellent grades, doing a BSc on full scholarship.  My daughter is still home-educated for high school, with no outsourcing of academic subjects.  I'm not opposed to outsourcing; it's just that we've never been able to afford it.  So I buckled down and learned how to do it via the WTM book and these forums over the past thirteen years or so.

I *almost* enrolled my daughter in high school this past year, and then almost put her into a couple of classes at the high school; for a number of reasons.  But in the end, she decided she had her best chances at what she wants to do during and after high school if we continued the high school plan from home.

• Like 3