Jump to content


Family Devotional Suggestion

Recommended Posts

Hi Everyone,


I am looking for a good devotional that we could use to start our "morning time" each day over breakfast.    The kids are already doing a bible curriculum (Memoria Press Christian studies) and in AWANA....so they are already doing a lot of memorization.   So I don't really need something that is going to teach them the books of the bible or biblical literacy.  


I more want something inspriational that would suggest a good passage to read, maybe a thought concerning that passage...something that would spark a good discussion and help us start our day out on the right foot.    I also want something quick that we could squeeze in....even if we only have 10 minutes to spare. 


My kids will be ages 10, 9, and 3.5.   (Tough to combine.... I know!)  


I've looked at Old Story New, but ruled it out because it sort of overlaps what we are learning about in Memoria Press Christian Studies.


I've looked at "Sword Fighting" (that looks fun) but that might be too much memorization with AWANA.  


Any other suggestions?



  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I personally really love Starr Meade's stuff.  


We have done her book on the Westminister Catechism (Training Hearts, Teaching Minds), and the Heidelberg Catechism (Comforting Hearts, Teaching Minds).  Each go through one part of the catechism and have daily devotions.


I have also done her brief devotional books based on books of the Bible  "God's Mighty Acts in Creation",  "God's Mighty Acts of Salvation" etc. https://www.amazon.com/Gods-Mighty-Salvation-Starr-Meade/dp/143351401X/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8  Note: these are really short. Maybe 30-40 readings.


This past year we did this Bible Story book. This might be just what you need with those ages. It has a Scripture reading, a story, and some application type questions.  https://www.amazon.com/Mighty-Acts-God-Family-Bible/dp/1433506041/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8  If you have a little kids Bible book of some kind maybe your 3.5 year old can follow along in that (pictures, etc.)  as you read this book to the older ones.


Presently my husband is doing Long Story Short with the kids. If I had it to do over I would have started with this one sooner. =)


Our first couple years homeschooling we did the Kids of Integrity character studies.  I am not sure how that would work with the 3.5 year old, but it is free so you can take a look and decide.  http://www.kidsofintegrity.com/



Edited by cintinative
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you already have Bible study curricula and AWANA, it might be worth just reading through the Bible in small chunks? This is what we do at Morning Time and it's been incredibly effective. The kids tend to have their own questions which spark natural discussion.


We've found that any of the gospels, Proverbs (LOTS of great discussion!), Psalms, Genesis, Ruth, and Esther are some of the books that are great for kid engagement.


It's quick (unless you get into a really good discussion!) and it's the first thing we do, so it always gets done. I'd say the kids have an interesting question or thought about 75% of the time and the other 25%, I leave it to sit on their minds and move on.


Not a book suggestion, so ignore this is not helpful, just my 2¢. 😊

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just read a verse a day from my Bible app to the kiddos. Then we talk about the verse. It is amazing what we learn together and the discussions we have from it. It is so simple, yet it is something I can be consistent on. I have kids from 6-14 and it works wonderfully. Then one of the kids or I will pray.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Create New...