Menu

DE Statistics before Calc 1?

Hello all:

We have a slight dilemma for my oldest dd.  She is in 9th grade and currently taking Pre-Calculus Honors at her high school.  Next year, the school will be offering a dual enrollment math course on campus in conjunction with one of the community colleges.  It will be either Statistics or Calculus 1 -- depending on which course the most students sign up for.  I was fairly set on the idea that she should just take Calc 1 after Pre-Calc, but now I'm wondering....would Statistics be ok for her to take this year and then Calc 1 and Calc 2 the following two years? (She may go further in math but I'm using the most conservative course progression estimate right now.)  

I feel confident I could make sure she had a rigorous pre-calc review prior to Calc 1 (I typicaly have my girls run through ALEKS for review, which is pretty strong).

The only reason I am considering this is for convenience -- we would not have to hassle with the commute to a CC until her senior year, and books would be free.  On the other hand, I don't want to consider this option if it would not a beneficial choice for her math studies.  Also, I may have to consider this option for her sister who is just a year behind her, and will also take Pre-Calc H next year as a 9th grader.

Thanks for any advice.

Edited by amsunshine

I waited on AP statistics for oldest because I want to do it the year he does economics. He will take calculus based physics so he would still have some revision of calculus.

In your scenario, I'll take the DE statistic first before calculus 1. I would prefer DE calculus 1 to calculus 3 with no gaps. The convenience would be worth it too.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

I waited on AP statistics for oldest because I want to do it the year he does economics. He will take calculus based physics so he would still have some revision of calculus.

In your scenario, I'll take the DE statistic first before calculus 1. I would prefer DE calculus 1 to calculus 3 with no gaps. The convenience would be worth it too.

Good point -- I don't know why I wasn't thinking about interrupting the progression of Calc 1-3.  Thank you!

I would choose based on what science will be done.

She will be taking honors physics in 11th grade, but I'm guessing there is not much calculus in that course, given it is not AP and not an advanced DE class.   I'll have to double check that with the school.  Regardless, she would be taking calc 1 concurrently if she took stats in 10th grade.  I presume concurrent enrollment in calc 1 would be sufficient for a calc based physics?  Or would it be preferable to take calc 1 the year prior?

FWIW, ds took DE Statistics fall semester senior year and DE Calc 1 spring semester senior year because he couldn't get into Calc 1 fall semester.  I was upset at the time, but maybe it was a good thing.  He followed with Calc 2 at his 4yr, and after that, I was wishing he had repeated Calc 1 at the 4yr.  OTOH, since he is trying to squeeze in a minor now, maybe it wasn't such of a bad idea. 

• Like 1

Just a thought - a proper calculus I / calculus II sequence imho trumps a calc BC sequence.  Some unis are not accepting the AP for full credit for calc II, so there is value in getting that out of the way.

Stats - at the AP or DE level - is fairly easy, and could be done at any point.

• Like 1

She will be taking honors physics in 11th grade, but I'm guessing there is not much calculus in that course, given it is not AP and not an advanced DE class. I'll have to double check that with the school. Regardless, she would be taking calc 1 concurrently if she took stats in 10th grade. I presume concurrent enrollment in calc 1 would be sufficient for a calc based physics? Or would it be preferable to take calc 1 the year prior?

Either option is fine.

High school honors physics is algebra based.

Are the math classes a semester each or two semesters?

Either option is fine.

High school honors physics is algebra based.

Are the math classes a semester each or two semesters?

Thanks!

The DE classes will be 1 semester each and only offered the first semester of each year. We still haven't decided if she will take DE classes both semesters (by attending the local CC) or not -- I'm being conservative in estimating just one DE math class per year.

Edited by amsunshine

stat 1 is brain dead easy

that's all I have to offer in terms of the difference!

Too funny!  I remember it that way from college, too!

She will be taking honors physics in 11th grade, but I'm guessing there is not much calculus in that course, given it is not AP and not an advanced DE class.

Honors physics typically expects only algebra 2 with trigonometry as a prerequisite. Calculus 1 with AP Physics C would work, just more tiring but doable. The other advantage I could see is if she wants to start calculus in 11th to have more time to mature. My younger boy would benefit from delaying calculus until he is willing to put in the effort while my oldest would be bored stiff waiting, so it depends on your kid.

• Like 1