Menu

So what do you consider an advanced Science sequence for high school?

Okay mind is going crazy here...DS did DIVE honors biology in 8 th grade so naturally this year when he wanted to do Advanced- Pre Med(master books) along with lab(dissections-cow eye, sheep brain, sheep pluck, slides, DNA, bacteria growth with lab reports, etc) and The Apprentice Doctor for Future Doctors states-Earn 75 hours of extracurricular credits we let him.

Our plan for science is this:

7th Apologia Physical Science with labs plus Carolinaâ„¢ Forensic Dissection Kit(fetal pig, adult pig heart &kidney)

8th DIVE honors Biology with AP labs

9th Master Book Adv. Pre-med. with lab/ Elective: future Dr. adding what ever research he dems fit.

10th DIVE honors Chemistry with AP labs

11th DE,or AP ?

12th DE, or AP ?

Also, he did IEW C in 8th was not going to count it because honestly how would I.

And he completed Video text Algebra I in 8th, but was thinking since VT goes from pre-algebra through Algebra 2 -I should probably wait until he completes it all then count it. Thoughts?

So would u count the Biology?

And how or what would you change with his science sequence?

DS is thinking he wants to be an eye surgeon, but honestly he also excels at computer stuff- researched and built his own this year as a lab to go with his computer class.

Thank you,

Edited by Ggg

It seems pretty standard to list algebra and biology on the high school transcript if they are done in middle school, so I would put those in the high school transcript. Since your son has an interest in becoming a doctor, you might consider an anatomy class if the 9th grade program (which sounds like a really interesting choice) you are using doesn't already cover that.

• Like 2

Your plan for this year, the advanced pre-med, is basically Biology right?  So, you have

8th Bio

9th Advanced Bio/Medical Stuff (You could call this Advanced Biology right?) 

10th Honors Chem (why, AP labs? If he is that great and motivated at Science, see if you can get him approval to take an AP Science somewhere or just take AP Chem the following year...Novare has a really advanced Honors Chem course which is also used by TPS, you could look into that.)

11th? AP Biology or AP Chemistry 

12th Physics

My son will do regular Physics and then AP Physics because he's looking at Computer Science. For your pre-mred student you should do probably AP Biology. :)

In our state only math and foreign language done in 8th grade can count for high school credit, and ONLY 8th grade.  So you have to look into your state usual ways of doing things.  Obviously you can put whatever you want on your son's transcript, but if it differs from teh norm it'll get his transcript booted from the pile before they even take a good look at it. So it behooves you to follow whatever your state usually does.  Many states allow Science taken in 8th to count, but you really have to check. 

Also, look into the colleges he is looking at.  Some colleges have very specific requirements, or suggestions for pre-med majors.  

• Like 2

I hesitated to post, because it's hard to tell for sure, but looking through the books in this course (better samples on christianbook.com), I think that this looks more like an elective, or perhaps an easier science for a student that is not headed for the sciences.

http://www.masterbooks.com/advanced-pre-med-studies-pack

It looks like a smattering of biology, a smattering of microbiology with some anatomy and physiology. IMO, it would be better to take a full anatomy and physiology course, maybe Apologia's Advanced Biology, with the dissections. Notice how the Apologia book is about 500 pages, vs. just over 100 for the Body by Design book from the Masters course? The Body by Design might be enough as part of a biology course, as most high school biology books include some human anatomy, but your student has already had biology.

So if you decided to do this course as science for the year, I would count it as biology and not put eighth grade bio on the transcript. I would not list it as Advanced Pre med Studies. Colleges want to see biology, chemistry, physics, plus maybe an elective or two or more advanced version of the first three. I don't think pre-med has meaning as a label in high school.

He should take at least an honors physics class in high school, and AP Chem would be good, AP Bio if there is time. For a pre med, you aren't looking to AP or DE out of any of the sciences. Med schools apparently want to see their requirements taken at your university. The purpose to take the higher level AP or DE science would be to be challenged in high school in areas of interest and to help them do well that first year of college and keep the GPA high. Your plan also depends on what colleges you are shooting for and what other competitive students are doing to be admitted.

You might look at dual admission/dual degree programs if your student is sure about medicine this early. These programs may have specific admission requirements separate from the regular college application. See here: http://blog.prepscholar.com/ba-md-bs-md-programs-list

Edited by Penelope
  • Like 3

I don't mean to hijack...my dd13 is also interested in medicine. She is taking a hs honors biology class this year and plans to take Anatomy and Physics in 9th. 10th will be honors chemistry and maybe homegrown genetics. Shes also planning to volunteer at the hospital and the Red Cross. She's attending a Neuroscience workshop next weekend at the teaching hospital. I want to expose her to the field as much as I can. I hope I'm directing her in the right direction.

• Like 2

I am not planning on counting my dd's honors biology for credit even though it is at a high school level.  In our state, we can only count high school credit earned in middle school for Algebra 1 or above and two years of high school foreign language, so that is what she is doing.  She wants to DE for 11th and 12th so I am making sure she has all her high school sciences completed prior to 11th.  

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
On 4/2/2017 at 3:43 PM, SunshineMom said:

I don't mean to hijack...my dd13 is also interested in medicine. She is taking a hs honors biology class this year and plans to take Anatomy and Physics in 9th. 10th will be honors chemistry and maybe homegrown genetics. Shes also planning to volunteer at the hospital and the Red Cross. She's attending a Neuroscience workshop next weekend at the teaching hospital. I want to expose her to the field as much as I can. I hope I'm directing her in the right direction.

What is the genetics course? My son is thinking about becoming a genetic counselor.

On 4/2/2017 at 1:49 AM, Ggg said:

And he completed Video text Algebra I in 8th, but was thinking since VT goes from pre-algebra through Algebra 2 -I should probably wait until he completes it all then count it. Thoughts?

I can't speak to the science, but my boys did VideoText Algebra.  Count Alg 1 for 8th and Alg 2 for 9th.  Mine are finishing Geometry this year in 10th.

I need to find the email where Mr. Clark's staff told me the breakdown of units that count towards Alg 1 and Alg 2.  I'll post it when I do.  Or you can email them directly.