Menu

Listing high school engineering classes done in 8 th grade on transcript- did not want to hijack the other thread..

I did not want to hijack the other thread.

While we plan to include algebra 1 and Japanese done in 8th grade on the high school transcript, I do want to include the Engineering class he completed in 8th grade as well being that ds plans to go into engineering.

The course is taught by an engineering professor out of Auburn University but designed as a high school course to prepare kids who want to go into engineering. This year ds is doing Introduction to Solid Modeling & Engineering Design using Solid Works. There are projects completed using Solid Works such as assemblies and animations, 2D/3D designs, exploding views, part designs, extrusions and cut out techniques as well as tests and quizzes including midterm and end of the year test, technical memos and lots of technical terminology. By the time ds is done, he would have well over 200 hours put in if not more.

So would course like that still not be included on the transcript.

Thank you.

I will be the voice of dissent. I wouldn't include it on the transcript. I also don't include Algebra 1 on my kids' transcripts as they took Alg II their freshman year. It wasn't needed.

If your kids continue to be busy and productive, they will be involved in many things in high school and those things need to be included on their transcript. A transcript that is too full of activities and classes that they couldn't possibly do in a 4 year high school (and since they didn't do it in high school, that's a true statement) can be very suspect to colleges/ scholarship admissions.

I did not want to hijack the other thread.

While we plan to include algebra 1 and Japanese done in 8th grade on the high school transcript, I do want to include the Engineering class he completed in 8th grade as well being that ds plans to go into engineering.

The course is taught by an engineering professor out of Auburn University but designed as a high school course

Where I live, I get to follow the guidelines of a cover school.  This is the *general advice* they share :

Early credit should be limited to the following areas of study: Math (algebra 1 or above), Science, World History, and/or Foreign Language. Max 3 credits.

so, pretending you live near me and pick the cover school I did.....

It sounds like you described a high school course that could be in the Science category. They'll let you list it.  (It wasn't just a summer camp kind of thing, right?)  You'd probably be encouraged to have more than the minimum of 3 science credits  for graduation if you list an early course and have a STEM major in the making.  

With math, they'd "let you", but would advise that you may still have to have math in each of grades 9-12, so there is no advantage to the college bound student (in our state) to having early math credit.  So you might not want to list that one. However,  I did list it for my oldest and nothing bad happened.  Her transcript did not look padded.  She got scholarships and all of that.  She's a junior in EE and CS and math.  Even so, having Alg 1 in 8th grade did not need to be listed as credit either.  She still needed a math each year where we live to be in the competitive market for college admission in her major. .

My oldest did not need a high school engineering course.  But if she has taken such a thing in grade 8, I might have listed that one.

• Like 1

I will be the voice of dissent. I wouldn't include it on the transcript. I also don't include Algebra 1 on my kids' transcripts as they took Alg II their freshman year. It wasn't needed.

If your kids continue to be busy and productive, they will be involved in many things in high school and those things need to be included on their transcript. A transcript that is too full of activities and classes that they couldn't possibly do in a 4 year high school (and since they didn't do it in high school, that's a true statement) can be very suspect to colleges/ scholarship admissions.

If the course is labeled as being taken in middle school, I don't see the issue.  Colleges can choose to disregard those courses if they like.