Menu

How to schedule Saxon Adv Math at slower pace

Art Reed suggests two day per lesson, with odds day and evens the next. My daughter chose to do a full lesson at a time, but only 2-3 days a week because of the rest of her schedule.

As to length, for his two-year plan, it was 1-90 fhe first year, then back to 60-end plus the first 20 or 25 (can't remember) of Saxon calculus. For our purposes, we chose to do 1-60 (the point at which he says geometry is complete), and she will do statistics in dual enrollment next year.

My oldest completes problems 1-16 one day and then 17-30 the next day. He will finish the first 60 lessons and then move on to DE PreCalculus Algebra at the community college. My middle will finish the entire book. The goal is for him to finish it in 3 semesters so that may require doing entire lessons on some days.

We did the evens and odds approach four days a week, so it took my oldest about two years. He had a lot going on academically in 11th and 12th grade with dual enrollment and AP's.

He tested into calculus in college, but we decided to back him out into pre-calculus. That was the right decision. He was very uneasy about starting college as it was, and there were enough gaps that it was good that he started there. He's an accounting/business analytics major, so there was no disadvantage to doing that other than the cost of the class. With advanced standing, he has had plenty of room in his schedule and only needed business calculus and statistics in the first two years.

My oldest is using Adv. math with the Art Reed DVD's. She was able to do a whole lesson for the first little bit, but it quickly got to be overwhelming, taking 2+ hrs. to complete a whole lesson. She is now doing as Art Reed suggests, doing odds one day and evens the next. You could slow it down even more if you really needed to, but the 1/2 lesson per day is a good speed. She will be working through the summer in order to avoid the loss of skills that often occurs over a long summer break. She really likes the Art Reed DVDs, and we highly recommend buying them. Even if your child is very math oriented or has had very few problems in Saxon Alg. 1 & 2, they may still have some problems with this book. It is a difficult math text, but well done.

If you end up finishing the first 90 lessons of Saxon's Advanced Algebra you would have a full credit course called "Geometry with Advanced Algebra"  Upon finishing the rest of the book and the first 25 lessons of Saxon's Calculus Course, you would have a full credit called "Trigonometry and Pre-Calculus."  At least that is how I understand it.

There is a link here: http://www.homeschoolwithsaxon.com/onlinevideo.php

• Like 1

idk...this is a good question

My PSP director who is sort of my helper in getting into college in this state seemed nervous about showing Geometry separately.  She was planning on just writing

Alg 2

Geometry 

Pre Calculus with Trigonometry 

But that was back when we planned to do ADV math in one year.  I'll have to ask her what she thinks now.

I know several people to use the two year method for Advanced mathematics.  DD did it in one year because she is a driven student who was determined to get through AP Calc BC before graduation and I didn't account for that when I began Algebra 1 in 8th grade.  

Many, many people do it in two years and I think it is more sane that way  :001_cool:

• Like 1

My original plan was to that in 10th followed by Calc in 11th and AP Calc in 12tg.

But my son is attending a math tutoring center 4x per week working on their program as well as tutoring so I don't think 3 hours of math will be good.

He can still take AP calc in 12th.  You don't need calculus first if you follow the Saxon Advanced mathematics.  DD has done great with going straight into AP.  He can do AP Calc AB for a slower pace or he can also do BC instead for a faster pace.

• Like 1