Menu

What's on your coffee table?

Debbi in Texas

Xbox. DH likes the TV low so the only thing that fit under it to hold the Xbox was my very nice coffee table. It was supposed to be temporary until he built something that fit..... temporary must mean in a year or two.  If it were where it was supposed to be I'd put a pretty vintage yellow porcelain bowl on it that I picked up at a garage sale for a dollar.  That would probably sit on a reed or bamboo mat (green or earth tones) so as not to scratch the table.  I'm pretty simplistic in my style.  

• Like 3

I just straightened so the Lego creations, crayons, and marble runs are gone for the next twenty minutes or so. :D

Two coasters, with a cappuccino on one.

I prefer empty spaces to filling every flat space. Probably not much help.

• Like 4

Right now: a portable tv, various books, sticky notes, pens,etc. The Kleenex box has a slightly decorative feel, I guess!

When I spiff things up, the coffee table is usually blank, or has a plant or flowers in the middle. (Unless it has a tray of snacks or something instead.)

• Like 3

A larger egg box with 6 newly obtained Buff Orpington chicks in it...

If you want to look for chicks, I got mine at Agway yesterday.  :lol:

This is only a seasonal display.  Time will tell what is there if you ask a month from now.  :coolgleamA:

ps  Before the chicks came we had a Wide World game on there - and we moved the chicks temporarily yesterday evening to play the game.  They just moved back to keep them more out of "housecat" range.

pps If we leave on vacation and I want the house to pretend to look good for our farm sitter, I'll leave an I Spy book or two and the latest editions of a couple of magazines there.

• Like 4

I need help decorating. Serious help. I always draw a blank about how to decorate the coffee table,

So, inspire me.

Sorry, I'm not going to be much help. We have an eat-in kitchen and a living room, plus 3BR and 2bathrooms. No extra space for purely decorative displays other than on the walls. Oh and in our China cabinet, since it was forced on us (Auntie passed away, no one wanted it but none could bear to donate it) since we have no china.

I also no longer have room for a coffee table, but when it was there, it had a large placemat (table runner could work too) for some color, a basket for the remotes, and a set of coasters. Not a super-Pinterest display, but not ugly, and practical.

Edited by Rebel Yell
  • Like 2

A huge number of some sort of gaming figurines and an expensive paint set here!

DD15 has been helping DS21 get his new miniatures painted (Warhammer 40K stuff), so every non-eating surface is covered with partially painted figures and the table in the living room is currently The Paint Shop.

• Like 2

I don't have a coffee table, but if I did I'm a fan of keeping them fairly uncluttered. A nice tray and a few books on top of it are about as far as I'd decorate on your average coffee table in a working, active living room with kids.

A not-stacked mess of disorganized papers and books, pencil holders that I have actually recently gone through and are overstuffed, but at least with working writing implements, coasters, a candle (I could pretend it was for decoration, but it's one my kid bought for her room that never made it upstairs ), rubber cement, a cat brush and a pet hair removal thingy. Somewhere underneath this mess is a table, I can tell because the stuff isn't on the floor. ;) There might be more, but I would have to do an archaeological excavation to find out.

• Like 2

My preference is totally clear (except for maybe my feet as that is where they are right now as I type). Five days a week ours is covered with homeschool materials. I put those away Friday night or Saturday morning and then use it for piles of laundry as I fold. After those are put away, I have a clear coffee table for a day or two.

• Like 2

I have a serving tray.  It used to have glass in it, and you could change out what was under the glass.  I say used to because one of my sons stepped on it and broke the glass.  While it was on the coffee table.  

Anyway, it's still on there, but not as pretty as it used to be.  But that doesn't matter because it currently has 4 ESV Study Bibles stacked in it.

*sigh*

• Like 3

My coffee table has two levels. The top is covered mostly with clutter right now -- some books, random papers, an envelope from a card my son got in the mail, a pen, a box of Tums, the remote, a plastic bucket with a few popcorn kernals rolling around in the bottom, etc. It also has some of the decorations that are meant to be there (more on that in a minute, since that is what the OP really wants to know). The bottom shelf has a pile of coffee table books and two matching ceramic pots, one larger than the other. Plus some empty candy wrappers.

The actual decorations for the top of the table are only there because I created a display for the table the last time we moved and had our house on the market. I have a wooden tray, on top of which sit three amber vases (two round ones that are identical except for size, plus a tall cylindrical one), a small decorative wooden pot that is made of dark wood with some dark red accents painted on, plus a tall carved dark wooden piece like a candlestick except it doesn't hold a candle.

When I created the display, I already owned the tray, and I went to Hobby Lobby to look for items to put on it. Home Goods also carries a lot of decorative items like that. At the store, I collected items I thought might work and stood them together on a shelf to see how they looked together. It took me some time to switch items in and out until I had a grouping that I liked.

In general, groupings of items should be an odd number, so 3, 5, or 7. I find that having a tray under my decorative items grounds them and makes them look more like a group. I also makes it easier to slide them to the side if I want to use the top of the table for something else.

When I set up the coffee table to look nice, I have the tray sitting at an angle on one side of the table, and on the other half I stack a couple of the coffee table books that I own. The bottom shelf will have the two pots and the rest of the books in a stack (when our house was on the market, our stager had us leave the bottom shelf completely empty).

Hope that helps!

• Like 1

A book, my laptop, some college mail, some pages with astronomy problems.

I don't "decorate" tables; I use them. I don't get the idea behind decorative furniture; if the furniture is not needed for a purpose, it is better to get rid of it and make more room.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 2

My living room is too small for a coffee table.   :(  I love coffee tables.  It's such a pain not to have somewhere to put something when I'm sitting down, but if we had a coffee table we wouldn't be able to walk through our tiny room.

If I had one and if it was really up to me, then I'd have some sort of wooden tray to hold a couple of magazines and books.  

Or I'd put out a bowl of brightly colored yarn balls.  Just because I like color and yarn is soft and pretty.  And you can pick up a yarn ball and toss it at someone if you need to--like a cat scratching the chair instead of the scratching post, or a boy who is making goofy jokes and trying to get a rise out of mom.   :)

Edited by Garga
  • Like 1

We have a giant ottoman rather than a coffee table. At the moment it has on it has a teal tray, four books, my phone, and dh's reading glasses. Normally it also has a couple of tv remotes too, but I have no idea where dd left them after her screen time this morning. It may occasionally also hold a sleeping cat or two.

• Like 1

In its "clean" state, achieved at least once each day during clean-up time, ours has water bottles and a few cloth diapers (which we use as all-purpose towels, good for wiping hands/faces/surfaces/floors). Right now it also has:

*a snack bowl

*a pair of socks

*an old keyboard the kids play with

*one of my books

*a songbook for devotions

*a DVD case (for the DVD in the player)

*a small velvet sack with "jewels" inside

*a wristband

*a rough draft of dd10's b-day invites

*a rolled-up piece of paper

That's pretty typical. It's functions as an all-purpose work/play space in living room; we pick it up each evening and each day it gets cluttered up again. Anything "pretty" would get moved or knocked down or hidden - it's a working space for us.

• Like 2

Main coffee table has a pair of kitchen tongs and an audiobook set on it. The side table next to me is a mess of parenting books and homeschooling catalogues, toys and wine glasses. The other has a blanket and a cat.

But a few years ago, when I had only one kid and he was very good about not messing with my decorations, we had a pretty antique-ish bowl on the coffee table, and I'd occasionally float roses from the garden in it. More recently, after the middle child toddler got less grabby but before the baby started standing (or, about two weeks), I had a silver tray with lots of candles arranged on it. The side table once had nice lamps and picture frames. The tables all have a lower shelf and I kept interesting coffee table books there, about subjects we were interested in, and we actually used them regularly.

• Like 1

Right now? A partially worked jigsaw puzzle.  When I want it to actually look nice, I have really old, huge, Webster's dictionary that I put on it.  (But since we often use our coffee table for various things, the dictionary usually lives on the shelf UNDER the table, along with a zillion other things.)

• Like 1

What is this thing called "coffee table?"  :lol:

I haven't lived in a place large enough for a coffee table in basically forever.  

We installed a shelf at coffee table height between our couch and chair so we'd have a spot to perch a mug or two while sitting on the couch.  I have a red ceramic vase and a picture of the kids there.  

I have a tray on top of a little rolling cabinet I use as an end table and the question there is "what isn't on the end table?" It's a bit of a catch-all.  

• Like 1

I don't think that you want to decorate with the Japanese textbook and file folders of visuals for language teaching that I have on my coffee table.  Seriously.  My coffee table is a catch-all for what we have been working on recently and not a decorating statement. 

Mine has something Japanese on it as well! It's a Japanese runner/place mat from our former Japanese exchange student. It's a little hard to see under the books, binder, playing cards and electronic devices, though. ;)

• Like 2