Menu

Outside scholarship notification (rant/JAWM)

DD was asked to apply for an outside scholarship.  I found out they often don't notify recipients until the first week of May!  The first week of May! :banghead: 

Can they have worse timing?  That outside aid would take Duke from the most expensive to the cheapest option for our family.  Because outside aid can't be taken away from the package and can only reduce loans and work study, it would make Duke at least 3,000-5,000 cheaper than the other schools.  Right now dd is thinking about scratching it because of finances.  How will she feel if she does and then finds out May 5th she's earned a scholarship that would make it cheapest?  And that this scholarship she's worked for will make no difference to the bottom line at her other schools (it will remove work study from one school).  

I just find the timing incredibly frustrating.   :crying:

• Like 3

Oh man! That would be so annoying. I wonder if she could contact them and find out if she could get some sort of insight the week before May 1?

I wondered about this?  Is it rude to ask?  It would be great to know if she is seriously being considered or if her name was already in the "no" pile, right?  

Attolia, is this outside scholarship just a one-time award? If so, that is not likely to change your overall outlook on which university is affordable *for all four years* it will take to earn a degree.

It's great that Duke allows the stacking of the potential outside scholarship -- but if this outside scholarship is only a one year award, then what would be the plan to cover that difference for the remaining 3 years at Duke??

• Like 2

Attolia, is this outside scholarship just a one-time award? If so, that is not likely to change your overall outlook on which university is affordable *for all four years* it will take to earn a degree.

It's great that Duke allows the stacking of the potential outside scholarship -- but if this outside scholarship is only a one year award, then what would be the plan to cover that difference for the remaining 3 years at Duke??

It is a four year scholarship.  Thanks

Edited by Attolia

It is a four year scholarship.  Thanks

Ug. That does make it super tough.

Perhaps contact Duke and explain the situation, and see if they will extend their deadline by a week, since Duke would be DD's first choice and this 4-year scholarship would be what will make it possible for her to attend... That might also encourage Duke to see if they could possibly cough up more money.

If not, I just don't see how you can go with Duke on the "maybe" of a scholarship. I know that would be upsetting for your DD, but there are those times in life when we can't keep all the options open any more, and have to choose one path, and choose to make the most of the opportunities and pros/cons along that path, and let go of "what-if-ing" about the other path. That is a very hard mindset to achieve, I know. :( Hopefully six months from now, she'll be so excited and enjoying *whatever* college experience she's having that this will quickly be just a dim memory and a very minor hiccup in her life journey.

BEST of luck! Warmest regards, Lori D.

• Like 5

I agree. My son applied for a scholarship - everything was due Oct. 1st. Notifications will be in JULY.  Some are given big four year scholarships and there is a decent chance he'll get one (big or small). I wish  we could find out sooner.

Wow, I thought May was late  :confused1:

• Like 1

I would highly advise that you have your DD call and/or email the school and let them know they are her first choice if the $$ comes through. I was amazed at how much wiggle room there was for this sort of thing when my DS was in scholarship negotiations.

ETA: Make sure the communication is coming from your DD, not you. Even if you proofread the email, make sure it's got her name on it.

Edited by GinaPagnato
  • Like 4

I wondered about this?  Is it rude to ask?  It would be great to know if she is seriously being considered or if her name was already in the "no" pile, right?  

I think it couldn't hurt, if it's the make or break between two colleges. I would be sure to have your daughter say that in her inquiry.

• Like 1

I'd definitely have her be in contact with Duke if it's her first choice.  As a pp said, it's amazing what schools can do if they want to.  They could offer to wait - or just match if it doesn't come through.  The worst they can say is "tough luck."  If they did that, I'd be tempted to drop them due to that attitude...

If they offer to wait, then it's sort of like being on a waitlist.  You'd be best to put a deposit down at school choice #2, then lose that deposit money if the scholarship comes through...  Few would see that as unethical.

Otherwise, I agree with you that it's annoying.  One would think they would understand college choice day and at least notify the end of April.

• Like 3

(For those of us at the very beginning of this high school thing, is there an end-of-April deadline for something?)

And OP, ugh for your DD!

It's the last date to pick which college you are attending... except for those who get in off waitlists or for some rolling admission schools.  Some schools will also still have openings after that date if they didn't fill their class.  That list comes out in early May if anyone didn't like their choices and wants to consider somewhere else.

One won't find tippy top schools on the "still has openings" list, but one can find some pretty nice schools usually.

• Like 3

I'd have DD call Duke and affirm that it is her first choice school. Then explain about the scholarship.

Last year, my friend was able to knock down significant amount of her DS's first choice school tuition after talking to financial aid office. All these selective schools have wiggle room when it comes to $$. What about you go to Blue Devil Days and talk to financial aid in person?

• Like 1

Dd isn't sure she wants to go to Duke yet.  She would need to feel certain that is what she wants before she contacts them.  She is going to the admitted student days and she will go from there.  Thanks for the thoughts.  I will encourage her, if she likes it there, to contact them and try to work something out.

Edited by Attolia
  • Like 3