Menu

Gobsmackedador

unsinkable

It's when you're trying to play fetch with your Labrador and he always manages to smack you somehow, sometimes in the mouth.

The worst being when you bend down to pick up the ball and he is right underneath you, and he is so darn excited that you're picking up the ball that he jumps up and the top of his hard bony skull smacks you under the jaw, and your lower jaw slams into upper jaw.

And you see stars.

Gobsmackedador

• Like 10

I've had a dog break my glasses doing that (not mine, but a dog I was sitting.) 

Our dog gets really excited playing fetch and is quite obsessed with his ball, so we had to do some extra training and have an order in which we do things to keep anyone from getting hurt.  We put him into a sit/stay and cover the ball with a foot.  When we go to pick up the ball, if he moves toward us, we stop and get him back into the sit/stay.  If he gets rambunctious and does not respect our personal space, the game is over.  Now, he gets really excited, but he does not jump on us, nor does he try to go for the ball.  He is just trying to anticipate the throw. 

• Like 2

I've had a dog break my glasses doing that (not mine, but a dog I was sitting.)

Our dog gets really excited playing fetch and is quite obsessed with his ball, so we had to do some extra training and have an order in which we do things to keep anyone from getting hurt. We put him into a sit/stay and cover the ball with a foot. When we go to pick up the ball, if he moves toward us, we stop and get him back into the sit/stay. If he gets rambunctious and does not respect our personal space, the game is over. Now, he gets really excited, but he does not jump on us, nor does he try to go for the ball. He is just trying to anticipate the throw.

That's the way to handle it.

999/1000, we'd on the ball (HA!) and make sure he was sitting and staying before we'd pick it up.

It's that 1 time of inattention that someone gets hurt.

That's the way to handle it.

999/1000, we'd on the ball (HA!) and make sure he was sitting and staying before we'd pick it up.

It's that 1 time of inattention that someone gets hurt.

Once, we had a ball that I swear had doggie crack in it or something.  My dog went nutso over the ball.  He got so excited that he went for the ball while I was holding it and got my arm instead.  He immediately let go and backed away with his tail between his legs, knowing full well that he did something that was absolutely not allowed.  I wasn't hurt or anything, but I think it scared us both.  We ended up getting rid of that ball. 

I did have to teach anyone who played with our dog to make him stay in a sit until ready to throw the ball.  One neighbor kid that dd babysat did not listen and went to pick up the ball from the ground at the same time that our dog was going to dive after the ball.  My dog's head hit the boy's hand and he accused Bear of biting him.  I was right there.  His dad was right there.  We both saw that no biting happened.  But I knew I had to supervise better. 

Once, we had a ball that I swear had doggie crack in it or something. My dog went nutso over the ball. He got so excited that he went for the ball while I was holding it and got my arm instead. He immediately let go and backed away with his tail between his legs, knowing full well that he did something that was absolutely not allowed. I wasn't hurt or anything, but I think it scared us both. We ended up getting rid of that ball.

I did have to teach anyone who played with our dog to make him stay in a sit until ready to throw the ball. One neighbor kid that dd babysat did not listen and went to pick up the ball from the ground at the same time that our dog was going to dive after the ball. My dog's head hit the boy's hand and he accused Bear of biting him. I was right there. His dad was right there. We both saw that no biting happened. But I knew I had to supervise better.

Doggie crack! :lol:

I'm glad the boy's dad was there! That's scary.

We used take walks by these tennis courts that had dense ground cover and vines lining the perimeter and my Labrador would dive into it and snuffle around until he'd come out with a tennis ball. We never had to buy tennis balls when we lived near those courts!

• Like 1

We used take walks by these tennis courts that had dense ground cover and vines lining the perimeter and my Labrador would dive into it and snuffle around until he'd come out with a tennis ball. We never had to buy tennis balls when we lived near those courts!

:lol:

Several times, I have been distracted when walking Bear and didn't realize that he picked up a ball somewhere on our walk until he got home.  Once, he brought home a spiky sparkly ball that lit up and played music  Since I had no idea where he got it, I couldn't bring it back.  Some poor kid suffered the natural consequence of leaving a toy out (and near the sidewalk, no less.) 

• Like 1

:lol:

Several times, I have been distracted when walking Bear and didn't realize that he picked up a ball somewhere on our walk until he got home. Once, he brought home a spiky sparkly ball that lit up and played music Since I had no idea where he got it, I couldn't bring it back. Some poor kid suffered the natural consequence of leaving a toy out (and near the sidewalk, no less.)

Bear likes the Sparkly Tinkly Ball! Bear will take it home! Smart Bear!

• Like 1

I've always thought of Gobsmacked like this:

I milk a Jersey cow most of the year.

In winter, it's not unusual for her to end up with huge slush ball of mud, snow and ice in the switch of her tail on the very end. When milking, if she's having a bad day, she might flip her tail and smack me right in the face with that nasty wad of wet, cold filthiness.

I was GOBSMACKED!

• Like 3

I've always thought of Gobsmacked like this:

I milk a Jersey cow most of the year.

In winter, it's not unusual for her to end up with huge slush ball of mud, snow and ice in the switch of her tail on the very end. When milking, if she's having a bad day, she might flip her tail and smack me right in the face with that nasty wad of wet, cold filthiness.

I was GOBSMACKED!

Godsmackamilkmaid