Menu

Campus activities as a de student

What activities have your D.C. participated in as de student? My oldest ds never did anything except attend class but my second ds has gotten involved in a few things. He played in an intramural dodgeball tournament and is playing intramural softball at the private university he is taking classes at. He also uses the fitness center and plays pickup basketball at the gym. I have heard other de students participate in mock U.N.

I just wondered what other activities de students have found available.

• Like 1

None.

But the extension campus where they attended for DE really didn't offer much of anything except classes. Even the main campus, 50 minutes across town, didn't offer a lot beyond some concerts and occasional theater productions. There is no fitness center or intramural sports. There is a student governance group, a student publication, Army/ROTC, and about a dozen student campus clubs of different types, but they are only full-time college students, not DE students.

So all of DSs activities were with high school peers:

- sports with the nearby public high school tennis team

- model legislation with the state Youth & Government delegation

- student council and social activities with the local homeschool group

- church youth group

- volunteering with the homeschool group and at church

- etc.

That's great that some campus activities are open to DE students! :) Just not available here.

• Like 1

It seems the university here really considers them students. I am sure there are some things they cannot do but it is neat to find he can participate. De is a great bargain and he didn't get charged any student fees or activity fees so I was surprised he could just swipe his ID for access to the rec center.

Not an activity but ds was also recognized as "Outstanding Freshman English Student" and was recognized at an English department reception. I guess it is an award given out in the freshman comp classes.

I just thought it was interesting. I would not have thought of these things myself. My son just met some people that invited him to things. This kid isn't always outgoing so it is really nice that he is getting to "practice college". :)

• Like 2

My dd uses the fitness center regularly. She is a member of the fencing club and two sign language clubs. She also uses the languages lab where students can make arrangements with fluent speakers of different languages for extra speaking practice or work on their writing, etc. She wanted to join the choir, but their practices have been at the same time as one of her classes the last two semesters. Nearly all college/university activities are open to DE students here.

• Like 1

None.  I have seen a few postings for things I thought might interest him, but he isn't interested.  I think it's a combo of being introverted and maybe feeling a bit weird by not being a similar age as others there.

I'm sure if he caught wind of something that he was truly interested in, he'd give it a go.