Menu

Song School Latin and/or Spanish?

ExcitedMama

I'm still trying to use up all of DS's virtual charter funds. What do you think about CAP's recommendation to start with Latin first? I was planning on starting Latin in the fall. Would it be confusing to do Latin and Spanish or are they different enough? Cost isn't an issue since at this point I'm just trying to find worthwhile things to spend the funds on. Does it make sense to use SSS to have him hear the language at a young age?

When I spoke to the folks at the CAP booth (at convention), they advised that SS? Should be used for the student that is already reading - typically 2nd grade +. You want the child to already have a good foundation with their own language and written word. We use SSL for my 3rd grader, and my K/1st listens in. She knows a lot of the songs as well now. I only require the book work for the 3rd grader.

I would not do both SSL and SSS at the same time. Latin provides an introduction to a variety of languages using the "derivative river" segment on the DVD's. My kids love the DVD's!!! I'm not sure how old your child(ren) is/are. For either 3rd or 4th grade + they recommend using the Latin for Children program. We just received that yesterday to start in the fall.

Although the name implies a large auditory component, there is still a large reading and small writing component. I would just hold off, and buy more art supplies or audiobooks. Honestly, unless you are doing immersion of some kind I would hold off on any foreign language until the kids is 9 or 10. We had SSL, used it for dd in 2nd. She liked the songs, did the work, played the games, but there was no retention. It was just too early to be meaningful. My DS started in 4th grade and it went so much better for him.