Menu

Goldendoodle/Labradoodle Advice/Tips?

umsami

After much consideration and thought, we are looking at adding a new dog to our family sometime in the next six months.  While normally, I'd just head off to the shelter, my Mom (who we see a lot) has allergies, so we're looking at a more allergy friendly dog.  I've been given the name of a few reputable breeders in my area, but was wondering if there are any doodle Moms and Dads out there who would like to offer some tips/advice.

Thanks.

Just a few thoughts before I run out the door....

They still have dander, so people who are allergic may still react.

Some do shed.  It depends on the type of coat. 

Meet the parents.  The temperament will likely resemble one of them.

Chewing can be a problem into adulthood.

You have to pluck ear hair regularly.

If you like longer hair, 5 minutes of brushing is needed daily to prevent matting.

• Like 1

FYI. Just read this yesterday, although apparently it's old.  http://www.alternet.org/culture/heartbreaking-truth-about-those-cute-doodle-dogs

I've read this before.  While I think i's good they are pointing out that they are not necessarily hypoallergenic, most of these points are equally true for purebred dogs of all kinds.  It isn't like puppy mills aren't producing plenty of pugs or cocker spaniels, or that those dogs don't have health problems even from good breeders, or may not have the temperment you expect.

• Like 3

Get a poodle instead.

I totally agree.  We have a standard poodle and she is great.  I suffer from allergies and asthma and she doesn't bother me at all. I can't wash her so we have to pay for grooming. She is our third standard.  I have also owned 2 minis and 2 toys before.

Suzanne

• Like 4

We have a doodle mutt. He's a little old man, and has been since birth. :)

Lots of grooming, but I think he sheds less than our other dogs. I'm not sold on the hypoallergenic story, my son still has issues and takes meds. But he's loveable.

SIL has a golden doodle. Sweet girl. Total spaz!

• Like 1

I used to have neighbors with a labradoodle. Cutest most playful dog I've ever seen in my life. She would be standing side by side with my dog, and hop over him laterally. It's more impressive than it looks on paper haha. She was tall and loving and could read a room iykwim.

Good luck! How fun.

Another vote for just going with a poodle.  The coat is just chance with a mutt (aka. "doodle").  Years of consistent breeding will serve you well if you are trying to avoid allergies.   As a bonus, poodles are extremely smart and train with lightning speed.  

PS - Don't let fru-fru reputation trick you.  Poodles make great hunting dogs, and excel at most dog sports.

• Like 2

After much consideration and thought, we are looking at adding a new dog to our family sometime in the next six months.  While normally, I'd just head off to the shelter, my Mom (who we see a lot) has allergies, so we're looking at a more allergy friendly dog.  I've been given the name of a few reputable breeders in my area, but was wondering if there are any doodle Moms and Dads out there who would like to offer some tips/advice.

Thanks.

I have to say something: Labradoodle/goldendoodle is not a breed; it's a lovely mixed-breed dog, so I don't know what a "reputable breeder" of mixed-breed dogs would look like. o_0

On the other hand, poodles do have a reputation for being more allergy-friendly than many other dogs, and you would definitely be able to find a reputable poodle breeder.

• Like 3

I have to say something: Labradoodle/goldendoodle is not a breed; it's a lovely mixed-breed dog, so I don't know what a "reputable breeder" of mixed-breed dogs would look like. o_0

On the other hand, poodles do have a reputation for being more allergy-friendly than many other dogs, and you would definitely be able to find a reputable poodle breeder.

I expect it would look a lot like reputable breeder of a purebred dog.  Just like non-reputable breeders are very similar whether or not they are paying for a kennel club registration.

• Like 4

Our second labradoodle is 5.  She is the.best.dog!  Our first doodle shed a tiny bit as she was longer haired and first generation but still caused no issue for our dog-allergic guy.   Our current girl doesn't shed.  Grooming is needed about every 5-6 weeks, and I brush her a couple of times in the interim.  Ears do need to be kept clean, as with any floppy-eared dog.

Housebreaking took no time at all, and she is extremely bright.  She loves to search and find, so we play a lot of scavenger hunt to challenge her.  Behavioral training also easy, with the usual puppy moments.    My sister has a goldendoodle the same age who is quite sweet, but not bright AT ALL :001_huh:  so check the parents out and see what their behavior tells you.

As far as energy, my first labradoodle was the most chill dog I've ever had.  Current doodle definitely higher energy, but not annoyingly so.  Current girl also very into toys, and will sort through her little basket of toys to figure out what she wants to play with.  If everybody is busy, she will throw her toys in the air and catch them to entertain herself.  She loves other dogs, thinks cats that wander in the yard are most likely friends who decided to drop by unannounced.

I would have another labradoodle in a heartbeat, and I recommend them whenever we are asked.  

• Like 1

We have a poodle/bichon mix from a rescue. I've seen labradoodles and golden doodles in local rescue and shelters. 

Many people still have trouble with "hypo allergenic dogs". It really depends on the specific dog. My dh had to the meet the dog and determine if he was going to react before we were sure this do would fit us. 

• Like 1

IMHO, the most hypoallergenic dog is a little one you can quickly and easily bathe in the sink twice a week. Seriously. Totally took care of the allergy issue for us.

Hair and shedding really have little to do with it. It's the dander, for most people.  

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 3

We've a 14 year old goldendoodle. He's a first generation cross and on the large size: 95lbs and can rest his head on a standard table top without stretching.

He is wonderful. The best personality. Friendly and loving. Yes, energetic. If you don't have a runner in the family I recommend one of those flingers that throw tennis balls really far.

I'd have gotten a second one if he wasn't so large. I'm starting to think about it again now that he can't take 5 mile walks anymore.

He mostly sheds into his own coat. Regular brushing or a shortcut are necessary.

If you are super concerned with allergies and don't want a poodle you should consider an F1B pup. A first generation cross is crossed back to the poodle so you get a 3/4 poodle mix.

Enjoy your new dog!

• Like 1

Thanks everybody.   :)   I actually haven't found as many standard poodle breeders in our area.  There are a few who have Golden Retrievers, but no litters.

Two of the breeders do have F1B pups.  I don't have a preference (male, female, color), but am interested mainly in temperament.   We want just a nice

family dog who hopefully won't bother my Mom for occasional visits.  

• Like 1

The more poodle the better :)  I always thought they were prissy dogs but the standards are intelligent, calm, easy to care for (if you keep them clipped shortish), and polite.  If it were up to me we'd get a standard when we finally get a dog someday.  For some (imo ill-advised) reason DH prefers beagles.  Beagles!

• Like 4

We've had two golden doodles. Our current dog is 3/4 standard poodle and 1/4 golden retriever. Her coat does not shed at all. She's pretty calm and has a great personality. SHe's great around kids. Our previous golden doodle died of cancer just before her 2nd birthday so that was hard. She was also a very nice dog, though shed a bit more (she was 1/2 poodle, 1/2 retriever). They can be absurdly expensive... I'm not sure why. Both were around 60lbs full grown and really cute!

• Like 1

we have a F1B (I think...can't remember how that all works now!) labradoodle.  She is 3/4 standard poodle, her mother was a labradoodle and her father was a standard poodle.  She is the best dog I have ever known, and super chill.  she doesn't shed, but does need to visit the groomer every 2 -3 months.  I think her calmness is the poodle in her.  She is very polite, hardly barks and super-super smart.  She was so calm as a puppy I worried she was sick.  She did chew as a pup, but grew out of it.  We did crate training, but then one day, at around 8 months or so, she threw a tantrum about it (and we had guests at the time) so I gave in and she had the run of the house ever since, and it is fine. She is a great dog!  My sister in law is allergic to dogs and my dog still bothers her tho.  I would get another one in a heart beat.  I know a few golden doodles in the neighborhood, and they are adorable, but seem really hyper, at least while young. 

• Like 1

I have to second (third or fourth) the recommendation for getting a standard poodle.  I'm highly allergic, but have no problem with my two standards.  Some of the doodle mixes do bother me.  Standards are wonderful dogs.  (You may have to research and drive to get a good breeder, but it's a small thing that is worth it in the long run.  It's been fourteen years since we did all that to find our old fella, and in hindsight, it was just a little inconvenience for fourteen years of happiness.)

• Like 2

Coming back to say that you should make sure both parents have no hip displasia.

In regards to all the recommendations for standard poodle: if the allergy issue is your only priority they are likely right. As a puppy you can't tell how "poodle-y" the dog's coat is going to be so you can't pick a more poodley puppy with much accuracy. If your first choice dog was a retriever but you need to consider allergies (my position) then get the doodle.

• Like 1

Just another echo that the hypoallergenic thing isn't necessarily true.  My parents got a goldendoodle specifically for that reason because my brother and I are both allergic to many dogs.  We are still allergic to her, though it's not as bad.  She gets very regular bathing at home and has to be taken in for grooming because it's very difficult to take care of that poodle hair at home.

That said, she is a lovely dog.  I love her to pieces.  She is great with kids, but she's very stubborn, and training her would have been easier had they taken her to classes. She will still defiantly nick the butter off the counter.  Which she can do because she's tall enough to reach the counter.

That's my big warning with a goldendoodle.  Other then the hypoallergenic factor, the biggest reason my mom wanted one is because she wanted a good medium sized dog that was small enough to still sit on the couch with, but still be on the bigger side.  When this dog didn't stop growing, it surprised everyone.  The parents are not near as tall as this dog is! She's very tall with lots of energy.  She's going on four years old now, and while the energy is waning a little bit, when she's super excited she has been known to knock over a small child.