Menu

what is this called?

SparklyUnicorn

Drawing a blank here.  DS ordered a drink at the 99.  It had these flavored, almost large caviar like, beads in the drink.  I know they are made with agar.  We want to make some at home, but I can't remember what these things are called (which I kinda need to know in order to get the stuff I need to make them!).

Boba are large tapioca beads. There are a bunch of boba tea shops around here. Some have colored/flavored options, but others have the flavorings only in the drinks and the boba are steeped in a simple syrup. They're sweetened but only seem flavored because they're sweet. If that makes sense... (There was an interesting show on Cooking Channel where the guy made plain vanilla buttercream, tinted it pink, green, and brown, and iced cakes. The woman ate them blindfolded and said they were all vanilla. When she could see them, she thought the brown tasted chocolate, the pink was strawberry, and so forth. She couldn't believe they were the same!) 

• Like 1