Menu

Self-Storage Units - how much do they really cost?

PrincessMommy

We're looking to store a lot of excess stuff while we put the house on the market. 

A lot of places near me advertise the first month free and then between  $150-200 per month after that.  But, I'm wondering what kind of fees they charge after the fact?

Can anyone give me an idea of what the real cost is.

Pods, or their competitors, are another possibility, but they're a bit more.   That's why I'm wondering about the hidden fees associated with self-storage.

• Like 1

We did the same. Ours was a 8x10 unit & cost $30 a month. I stacked it to the roof with boxes & just a few sets of bookshelves.

We did the same thing and it was about $30 per month. It really depends on how big of a storage unit you need and if you want climate-controlled.

• Like 1

That really depends on the company you are renting the unit from.  You need to shop around, ask targeted questions and compare apples to apples.  There are some that don't really charge extra fees unless you damage the door or something like that.  Most will charge a clean up fee if you leave the place messy afterwards.  Usually the monthly fee will have tax tacked on so it isn't exactly a flat rate but I have found several that do not really have any "hidden" fees.  

Also, you need to confirm if they are allowing 24/7 access, what they do if the door is damaged and you cannot open/close it, what sort of insurance coverage they have for the facility, do they cover damage to belongings if the facility itself allowed your stored items to be damaged by weather, etc.  What kind of contract do they require?  How long is their shortest?  Can they increase the rate at the end of the contract?  During the contract?  Do you have to give 30 days written notice to cancel?  10 days?  90?  What kind of fees have to be paid if you must cancel the contract early?

• Like 2

In this area - we found the units to be about$150- $200, maybe a little more. It all depends on the size too. There were no extra fees, however....

One of the places that had a free month, after 3 months they raised their rate $50-$100 ... I can ask DH for the specifics. He needed one for a short time and was slow in finishing the project but when that rate increase letter came, he got motivated (and mad). That was one of the bigger name places.

We have a little mom and pop place near us and they never raised rates when we used them for over a year.

When we moved we used one of those $1 first month places and used it just that month and that's all it cost us. :)

• Like 1

Price can vary depending on whether or not units are climate controlled. Place should be spotless. Ask about pest control. And security -- how do people get in, does office overlook entryway.

It's a big plus if you can pull your car close to your storage area. And plenty of carts should be available in each area, not just at the front.

We did the same. Ours was a 8x10 unit & cost $30 a month. I stacked it to the roof with boxes & just a few sets of bookshelves.

WOW!  That is a great price.  A 10x10 in my area is $150 and that is the lowest for that size. It's upstairs, access via elevator unit.  Units on the ground floor with easy access start at $200 (for the 10x10).

Nothing is below $60, and those are closet sized rooms.

omg!! :scared:

I know right. It has made me never want to use storage unless it is for a very short good reason (like building a house or staging for a good sale)....

She is 87 now....she finally told xh the other day he could dispose of everything. Ds and I met him there to see if there was anything worth having. Nope. Just a bunch of junk. So sad and depressing.