Menu

How is Math Mammoth different?

Momma4

I'm thinking of switching math curriculums from RS A 2nd Ed to Math Mammoth. My son seems to zone out when I 'teaching him' and all the different strategies and manipulatives are too distracting for him at this stage. And I also feel he would benefit more from a mastery approach rather than spiral.

I keep reading that math mammoths style is different to other math curriculums but I'm now sure what is being referred to here?

Any ideas/experience?

Xxx

Our experience was that the look of the pages was so crowded that my son had a meltdown within about 30 seconds of me pulling it out for the first time.

Apparently this reaction is more common than you might think.

We did not have that problem that EKS describes - though we do habitually cross out half the problems per page! - but I've heard similar things on this board.

Other than that, I find that it goes at exactly the right pace for the girls, though I seem to recall at least one section on long division that was interminable. Good amount of cumulative review, though. Inexpensive, which is a plus, and if I lose the printed-out pages (which, um, happens occasionally) we can work on the computer. That's less than ideal, but at least it's an option! But I wasn't doing any math at home with them in the second grade.

My 1st grader hated RightStart this year for some reason, and when I finally tried MM with her in January, she was so much better about doing math, and started making progress for the first time all year. I have no idea why, as I thought RS was a great approach for a first grader, and much more fun, but *shrug*. I have used MM with all of my kids to some degree, with my 5th grader being my first one who started with it in first grade and has used it all the way through so far, and it has been a good fit for all but my dyslexic child. My current fifth grader does not need all the practice that MM provides, so I circle which problems he should do on each page, and he is able to go through several pages a day this way. My first grader I usually have do 1-2 pages, depending on how much is on each page, and I usually have her do all or most of the problems, because she does need a lot of practice at this point. It doesn't take her long at all (unless she's having a poor attitude about it).

For one of my kids it actually works and (bonus) it only requires basic guidance from me, rather than hours of trying to explain something that the book isn't. That's what's different. And, yes, we cross out a lot of the questions, but some kids need all those questions. It's cheap and worth a try. :)

Archived