Menu

My dog needs to be put down, and I can't reach the vet.

Kinsa

She is suffering so badly. I've tried reaching the closest vet, leaving messages at two different numbers.

There's another vet two hours away. I haven't called her yet, but I might need to soon and make an appointment for tomorrow. However, she is suffering so badly, I don't know how we'll make it through the night tonight.

My poor girl. :(

I don't know what to do.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:grouphug:  I'm sorry. That sounds awful.

Since she's suffering so badly, I would get her in the car, call the vet that's two hours away, and tell them you're on your way. I wouldn't wait until tomorrow.

Do you know what she is suffering from?

She's been being treated for osteoarthritis, but the last treatment hasn't worked, and she has been very rapidly declining this week. I truly think there's more going on (cancer? degenerative nerve condition?), but I don't know what.

Karen, I am so sorry. Have you considered making arrangements with a friend if you can't get ahold of a vet? We were once in a similar situation, back country, no vet, etc. :(

If the back country option isn't palatable to you, I'd load her up and start driving towards civilization. I am sorry she is suffering!

She's been being treated for osteoarthritis, but the last treatment hasn't worked, and she has been very rapidly declining this week. I truly think there's more going on (cancer? degenerative nerve condition?), but I don't know what.

Would the vet be willing to call in a prescription for something like Tramadol for her? Our dog is basically on doggie hospice at our home and our vet called that into a people pharmacy for us to keep him comfortable.

Would the vet be willing to call in a prescription for something like Tramadol for her? Our dog is basically on doggie hospice at our home and our vet called that into a people pharmacy for us to keep him comfortable.

Well, the nearest pharmacy is as close as the vet (the one two hours away). If I'm going there for pallative meds, I might as well go there for euthanasia.

Oh no! I'm so sorry! Do you have an emergency vet in the area? I can't imagine a vet's office not answering the phone during business hours.

No, there's no emergency vet. The closest vet is open only by appointment. Normally I can reach him by calling him on his home phone and get her in that same day. Today I can't reach him.

Karen, I am so sorry. Have you considered making arrangements with a friend if you can't get ahold of a vet? We were once in a similar situation, back country, no vet, etc. :(

If the back country option isn't palatable to you, I'd load her up and start driving towards civilization. I am sorry she is suffering!

I have considered contacting one of the law enforcement park rangers. I'm leaving that option open, though it is undesirable to me.

I'm so sorry.  Is there anything you can give your dog in the meantime, while you figure things out, to help with the comfort level?  If you can call up your old vet where you used to live even, maybe they could suggest something?  (maybe they know an over-the-counter human remedy that would help calm him and ease the pain temporarily)

She's calm right now. Completely limp, but calm. In and out of consciousness. Not sure if she's trying to sleep, or if there's more to this.

She's already taking Rimadyl twice a day. I don't know what else I have here at the house that would help, other than aspirin. But given that she is shaking so badly that her teeth are literally chattering (until a few moments ago when I got her calmed down), I doubt aspirin would even touch the pain.

Awe. Is the vet that's two hours away one of those open business hours kind of things so you'd be guaranteed to get in once you got there? Do you have someone else who can drive or someone else who can go with and help comfort her? If the answer to both is yes then I'd probably head to the other vet after giving them a heads up like another poster suggested

If the answer to any of them is no, I'd worry about making her more uncomfortable by moving her.

Finally got hold off the vet nearby. Told him everything that's going on. Phone diagnosis is a degenerative neurological disease. He did not sound hopeful. I have an appointment in two hours. It it's likely I will not be bringing her home again. :cry:

Finally got hold off the vet nearby. Told him everything that's going on. Phone diagnosis is a degenerative neurological disease. He did not sound hopeful. I have an appointment in two hours. It it's likely I will not be bringing her home again. :cry:

I'm glad you got ahold of him. Huge hugs to you and your pup.  :grouphug:

I can't stpp crying. I asked dh to take time off this afternoon. Was I wrong to do that?

Of course not! Dogs are like family members and it is so painful to lose them. I'm glad your dh will be there to help you through it.

I can't stpp crying. I asked dh to take time off this afternoon. Was I wrong to do that?

No, not at all.  You're saying goodbye to a dear friend, who is suffering.  Suffering is just plain hard to watch.  Many hugs to you; I'm glad you were able to get in with a vet.

(((Kinsa)))

I am so sorry!

You were definitely not wrong to ask your dh to be there.  My dh, who is NOT an animal lover, has been with me for every animal I've had to put down - he has been such a comfort to me - I could not have done it without him.  

(((Kinsa)))  It is so hard to lose our furbabies!

Anne

I've just been sitting here on the floor all morning petting her.

:grouphug: :grouphug:

This is what I did when our Cane Corso died at home. I think it's the best thing to do. Talk soothingly about nothing. I told him over and over what a wonderful dog he is and all the fun things we did. He died around 1am while my hand was on his head and I was jabbering on, suddenly noticing that his chest was not rising anymore.

I considered it a blessing that he died at home. Silly, perhaps since the dog probably does not care. We had an appointment for euthanasia the next morning.

Many hugs, Kinsa. They leave such a gap when they go.

ETA: My dh probably would want to be there as well. He came to the ranch in the middle of the day when we had to put my horse down. He was not the horse person in the family but I appreciated it. You will need a comforting shoulder.

Hugs again.

Since she is very sick will you be able to get her in the car? We've always had bigger dogs and this has been an issue for me.

Is your dh coming to help?

Would the vet possibly come to your house?

Wish someone was there to help you.

:grouphug:

Karen: BTDT with my beloved elderly Old English Sheepdog, after she had a Stroke.  We lived in Far South Cali. The Vet. was in North Cali when we called. It seemed like an eternity for her to get to our house. In the interim, I remember she suggested to my wife that she put ice cubes on or near the dogs tongue. I don't remember if we did anything else for her, while waiting for the vet. to arrive at our house to put her to sleep.  I will include you in my prayers. 

I don't think it's wrong to ask your DH to be there for you. And if y'all can ride to the vet together that's even better because you can focus on your dog while your DH drives. When I lost one of my dogs last November, she died in my lap on the way to the emergency clinic with my hands wrapped around her. That made me feel better because I was there for her.

:grouphug: :grouphug:

Archived