Menu

What's with the ads?

Spudater

S/o Catholics

Where are you guys? ;). No, I know there are lots of you on here. But I just checked on the Catholic Coffee Break subforum and only one person replied. Is there another subforum or another tapatalk forum you like to go to? Or just not really interested?

• Like 2

I just joined a couple weeks ago and have no idea about sub forums.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Are you seeking a Social Group? Maybe some of the Catholics here can point you in the right direction.

Yeah. Sometimes I just feel like asking personal questions with people who more or less know my premises, if that makes sense, so I don't have to explain Church teaching, etc.

• Like 3

Yeah. Sometimes I just feel like asking personal questions with people who more or less know my premises, if that makes sense, so I don't have to explain Church teaching, etc.

I totally get that. It's why I've been a member of different forums over the years. Haven't found a great Catholic Homeschooling one that's active at the moment though. 

One thing a few friends did on another unrelated forum (just a parenting one) was when our kids got older and some of us homeschooled but others didn't we posted a "March Homeschool Chat Thread" on the main board and we'd all add updates and chat a bit. It was public in that others could see it, but they knew if we were chatting on there it was going to be about homeschool stuff and from that perspective. So maybe here, or wherever, you could start a "(insert month/season) Catholic Chat Thread" where people could chat about how things are going, favorite catholic curriculums, liturgical stuff, whatever. Might not work, this board is way bigger than the previous one we had on Babycenter with just 1000 members...but it's a thought. In any case I understand the desire. 

• Like 4

I totally get that. It's why I've been a member of different forums over the years. Haven't found a great Catholic Homeschooling one that's active at the moment though.

One thing a few friends did on another unrelated forum (just a parenting one) was when our kids got older and some of us homeschooled but others didn't we posted a "March Homeschool Chat Thread" on the main board and we'd all add updates and chat a bit. It was public in that others could see it, but they knew if we were chatting on there it was going to be about homeschool stuff and from that perspective. So maybe here, or wherever, you could start a "(insert month/season) Catholic Chat Thread" where people could chat about how things are going, favorite catholic curriculums, liturgical stuff, whatever. Might not work, this board is way bigger than the previous one we had on Babycenter with just 1000 members...but it's a thought. In any case I understand the desire.

Yeah, I would be comforable doing that, have done a little of that. I guess I'm talking about more...I struggle sometimes. And it seems like on the general boards every time the church comes up fallen away Catholics want to come and share their bad experiences. I mean, they have every right to do that, but I don't want to have to deal with it on a thread where I've made myself vulnerable, kwim? I try to stay out of controversial stuff because before I joined I promised myself I wouldn't fight with people on the internet. 😜 Every time I push the envelope on that I regret it.

• Like 6

If you're interested in other forums, send me a message and I can point you to some faithful catholic social groups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Yeah, I would be comforable doing that, have done a little of that. I guess I'm talking about more...I struggle sometimes. And it seems like on the general boards every time the church comes up fallen away Catholics want to come and share their bad experiences. I mean, they have every right to do that, but I don't want to have to deal with it on a thread where I've made myself vulnerable, kwim? I try to stay out of controversial stuff because before I joined I promised myself I wouldn't fight with people on the internet. 😜 Every time I push the envelope on that I regret it.

I think it may help if you specify "practicing Catholics only" or something along those lines in your thread title, and also mention in your first post to a thread that you're only looking for input from practicing Catholics.

It may not completely prevent people from popping in with negative comments, but at least you (and others) will be able to remind them that while you respect their views, they're not what you were asking for in your thread.

• Like 3

:hurray:

The traffic on the coffee break forum became so slow that I basically never remember to check it.  If you put "Catholic" in a post title in the general forum, you're probably more likely to get responses because we all see it then.  

• Like 1

I'm around on a rather erratic basis. I don't comment often on catholic thread for the same reason the OP doesn't want to. Sometimes I just don't feel like arguing about my faith to people who don't share it.

• Like 1

I couldn't even find the forum when I looked for it last night lol. I saw a few social groups but I don't think they all appeared. Maybe I did something wrong.

• Like 1

Here!  I think I used to belong to a private forum here but when I got locked out of the board and ended up re-registering again (after no response to my pleas to get back in) I couldn't find it again.  I prefer to post privately about matters of faith, etc., for the same reason. I would be most interested in a private forum if it was busy enough.

• Like 1

I would definitely participate in that kind of thread! I'm the "one respondent" to the OP's Coffee Break thread and as I mentioned there, I'm quite isolated as a Catholic... most of my IRL friends are either non-Catholic Christians or non-practicing/fallen-away Catholics. My practicing-Catholic friends are my parents' age, which is fine but also not-fine. There are times when I really need the same thing OP mentioned--a place I can share stuff I'm struggling with, without having to explain or defend my faith in my Church's teachings. Or not even things I'm struggling with but just a few people who are on the same wavelength. I'm very lonely right now  :mellow:

• Like 1

Just FYI since we're here, it's the 100 year anniversary of Fatima and if you want to do the33 day Marian consecration so that you end on the feast of OL of Fatima you'd start April 10th which is just around the corner. :)

I'm looking forward to it, especially since Lent so far has been totally derailed by the flu over here.

• Like 6

I would definitely participate in that kind of thread! I'm the "one respondent" to the OP's Coffee Break thread and as I mentioned there, I'm quite isolated as a Catholic... most of my IRL friends are either non-Catholic Christians or non-practicing/fallen-away Catholics. My practicing-Catholic friends are my parents' age, which is fine but also not-fine. There are times when I really need the same thing OP mentioned--a place I can share stuff I'm struggling with, without having to explain or defend my faith in my Church's teachings. Or not even things I'm struggling with but just a few people who are on the same wavelength. I'm very lonely right now :mellow:

(((Hugs)))

I'm sorry you're lonely.

hello hello :) never thought to check the groups for a Catholic one.  If there is a mass movement (ha ha...) to one, I'd join in to one, just don't know which current group that would be.  If you want to revive a group or create a new one, put the name in this thread and I'd be happy to join in :) 

• Like 1

(((Hugs)))

I'm sorry you're lonely.

Thanks. It's a rough season of life. I'm a very young, recently-married Catholic stepmom of preteens who married into a family of staunch Protestants. I'm in my late 20s parenting a 10 and 12 year old. My married friends have babies, which doesn't seem to be in God's plan for us now. (They are also almost all evangelical.) My single friends aren't very interested in my life now that it consists of being a SAHM. And "stepmom" isn't the most common title in Catholic-land, so even my older Catholic friends can't really relate. My husband is interested in Catholicism but has emotional/family reasons that prevent him from pursuing it right now, and has recently been reluctant even to encourage the kids in their interest. (They were going to be Baptized at Easter Vigil, but today he told me he wants to reconsider that and possibly have them do it at his parents' Protestant church instead.)

Sorry for dumping all that, I just have literally no one to talk to. I used to share everything with my mom, but I don't think it's appropriate to share marriage-related stuff with her, and my faith and my marriage are all wrapped up in each other. [emoji22]

Sent from my SCL23 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

hello hello :) never thought to check the groups for a Catholic one. If there is a mass movement (ha ha...) to one, I'd join in to one, just don't know which current group that would be. If you want to revive a group or create a new one, put the name in this thread and I'd be happy to join in :)

The one I found is called Catholic Coffee Break. :)

Thanks. It's a rough season of life. I'm a very young, recently-married Catholic stepmom of preteens who married into a family of staunch Protestants. I'm in my late 20s parenting a 10 and 12 year old. My married friends have babies, which doesn't seem to be in God's plan for us now. (They are also almost all evangelical.) My single friends aren't very interested in my life now that it consists of being a SAHM. And "stepmom" isn't the most common title in Catholic-land, so even my older Catholic friends can't really relate. My husband is interested in Catholicism but has emotional/family reasons that prevent him from pursuing it right now, and has recently been reluctant even to encourage the kids in their interest. (They were going to be Baptized at Easter Vigil, but today he told me he wants to reconsider that and possibly have them do it at his parents' Protestant church instead.)

Sorry for dumping all that, I just have literally no one to talk to. I used to share everything with my mom, but I don't think it's appropriate to share marriage-related stuff with her, and my faith and my marriage are all wrapped up in each other. [emoji22]

I'm sorry, that's so rough.

• Like 1

I'm so sorry. :(

We'll talk to you! :)

Hi! I'm sorry you're having such a hard time. I'm Catholic, too, but I never visit the social groups anymore. I'd participate in a thread. Years ago a bunch of homeschooling moms on another forum started an email loop which kept going for years. I wonder if anyone here would be interested in that. ?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk