Menu

AP Geography

FWIW, it might help to think through your goals and you mean by credit - high school credit or college credit?  If this is for the rising 8th grader who might move on to a public high school, it would seem unlikely that the high school would offer credit for a course taken elsewhere, though that would depend on the high school.  But, what is the ultimate goal - whether colleges care, either for the purpose of admission or for the purpose of actual college credits.

Competitive admissions:  colleges typically do not care about total numbers of high school credits for admission.  Competitive colleges do care about rigor and, of course, about grades; some selective colleges may recalculate GPA on their own using only core subjects.  (Note that whether GPA for college admission includes courses taken prior to high school is another question altogether.)  If the course is accredited, it's probably possible to get a transcript with the grade, and, just guessing here, there's probably a way to submit that separately from the regular B&M high school transcript for college apps (maybe someone with more experience can speak to this).

A couple of thoughts - my understanding is that selective colleges are not impressed by B&M students piling on APs outside of what is offered at the particular high school, and moreover, I would be skeptical of whether AP Human Geo adds any value when it comes to evaluating the rigor of the student's high school transcript.

College credit:  this would be based on the AP exam score, not on having taken an accredited AP course.  Note that a student can take the exam without having taken an accredited course and vice-versa - a student can take an accredited AP course without later taking the AP exam - these are completely separate things.

It is possible to check the websites of colleges to see what AP exam scores they may offer college credit for - this is different for every college.  Some colleges, e.g. some state flagships, might offer college credit for a certain score on the AP Human Geography exam.  However, most selective colleges will NOT offer any college credit whatsoever for the AP Human Geography exam because it is considered to be weak/not rigorous.

What I'm trying to say is that (1) I have doubt about whether taking an accredited AP Human Geo course is worthwhile for competitive college admissions purposes and (2) an accredited course is not relevant to getting college credit.  Accordingly, if college credit is the goal, a non-accredited course would be sufficient.

hope this helps :)

Edited by wapiti
  • Like 3