Menu

When to start copywork in cursive?

ExcitedMama

DS is 7 and finishing up 1st grade. He is writing really well and I was thinking about starting to teach him cursive this summer or fall. I am wondering when he would be ready for copywork in cursive? Like for ELTL I love having the student book for him to write in for his copywork and I could order it in manuscript or cursive. I have no idea when he would be ready to start doing his copywork in cursive once he gets started.

What we did was follow the same progression as learning to print.  He'd copy a letter at first, and then a word, and finally we moved up to sentences when he was able to write fluently.  About the same time he learned to copy sentences I introduced cursive letter copywork.  It's the end of first grade and he does most of his copywork/dictation in print, but spends time each day learning how to form letters and write words in cursive.  I figure we'll get to sentences next year, when he's ready to move on to more free writing in print.  By 3rd everything will be in cursive.

• Like 1

My son wanted to learn cursive the summer between his K and 1 year, so I bought Pentime. He learned quickly. Now, in first grade, he does his WWE copywork in cursive. I re-write the copywork in cursive for a model. He practices reading it first then copying. He prints on all his worksheets, notebooks, etc. I will require more work to be completed in cursive next school year (says the mom who NEVER writes in cursive 😂)

• Like 1

We did something very similar to HomeAgain. Here's what we did, which worked well for us: I taught my older daughter cursive in second grade, as a separate subject. (So, she would practice cursive during her cursive lesson only; all her other school subjects were still written in print.) Then, as soon as we formally finished the cursive curriculum, I had her do all her schoolwork in cursive from that point forward. (She was really eager to write cursive exclusively, so this was a fun/smooth transition.)

If you teach your son cursive over the summer, he could then start the cursive copywork book in the fall. (In other words, I would order the book in cursive, but work up to using it. Our cursive program taught cursive letter by letter, slowly adding words and then sentences.) 

• Like 1