Menu

Searching for affordable online school

Hello all, I am new to the group :)  I have been homeschooling for about one year now (i'm not doing the best job).  I have a son that will be going into the 8th grade next year.  I feel like I am not giving him what he needs educationally, and have been searching online classical diploma programs.  I really like Veritas Press' program, but the program is really expensive.  Do you have any recommendations, or just general help on homeschooling an 8th grader and what they need educationally?  

Maybe you could give us a little more information about what you have done this past year and why you feel like you are not doing a good job? Lots of homeschoolers are overwhelmed the first year.

If you can tell us what you have been using already and anything about his learning style or that you have learned about him while teaching him this year we might be able to help more.

Gosh, I'd probably just ask an 8th grader what he wanted to study and then work with him, knowing his abilities to come up with a plan for the year. 

What did you do this year?  What did you think of as going well and/or not well?

Welcome and hugs. Lots of people struggle their first year. You can get great support and information here but we need some more details to really give you some useful answers.

Along with other questions already asked I would add: What are your goals for your child, why did you switch to homeschooling to begin with, and have you done any research on local resources that might help?

Also, there are tons of online programs but what is your budget and what are you hopng they will provide? Are you thinking you need a full schedule of classes all the way through including a High School diploma? Just a few classes for 8th grade while you get your bearings? Something else?

And I agree it would help if we knew what you feel went wrong this past year and what materials you used.

Other posters had good questions and comments already, so I would just add that, depending on your state, you may be able to "send" your child to an online school that is public, or supported by tax dollars, so tuition free to you.

Welcome to homeschooling! : )

Edited by chiefcookandbottlewasher