Menu

How to Visit Belize for a Month?

aggie96

DH and I are considering taking our show on the road to Belize for a month next summer.  I need some direction to start researching though.  Anybody able to point me in the right direction for research?

We want to test the idea of moving there permanently at some point with or without kids.  Not really flushing out those specific details yet (too early for that).  We will start with a week vacation there perhaps this summer.  Then plan a month stay next summer possibly.

For the month visit, we would need some very decent internet service because we have our own business completely reliant on internet, cell phone, and possibly mail courier such as FedEx.  I need to flush out where exactly in Belize, if running our business while there works (internet, cell, mail, printer), immersed in local culture, not too rustic/run-down, probably around 2-3 bedroom/>1300sqft-ish/close to town.  How long we can stay before citizenship gets tricky?

I don't really know.  I need to start reading forums, discussions, background, etc to get an idea.

Any ideas on where to start? Is the a WTM-type forum for Belize?

Thanks!

• Like 2

For things like visa requirements, start at the US State Dept Travel site; they give advisories on travel, what visa you need, what vaccines, etc.

For info on staying a month, search for Belize Expat Forums and see what pops up. Usually those are good sources of info, better for the type info you need than simple Trip Advisor.

For locale, maybe start with what city has the US Embassy, if location is truly based on which part of the country has the best internet, etc. They are likely to be located in an area with good infrastructure, as well as probably closer to "not too run down" standards, although also likely costlier since the locals will know to price things for the expat community.

Definitely if you haven't traveled much outside the US, do some looking and realize that "not so run down" varies by region...oftentimes things are a lot more rustic than the US, even when they are high quality for that area. Just be aware so that you have realistic expectations.

Thanks for the tips!

Re: "run-down"

Last time we were in Mexico, our air conditioner poured water nonstop into a basin in our room that overflowed onto the floor towards a drain located in the middle of the room...for 8 days. While we could pretty much deal with anything for a week, that ain't gonna cut it for a month. Our Belize goal is to to get acquainted with the locale and lifestyle, not survive the accommodations. :) Unless that IS what to expect, then we would learn from that experience and make future plans accordingly.😬😬

We just wouldn't do it without electricity, indoor plumbing, and internet. Not conducive to our goal. 😜

I'll hunt around for some ex-pat forums. ðŸ‘ðŸ¼

• Like 1

If you are U.S. Citizens, before your trip register on the web site of the ACS (American Citizen Services unit) of the U.S. Embassy in Belize City.  I knew someone who lived there for approximately 6 or 8 years. They lived in the sticks. They moved back to Indiana, after their house was burned down.  Like any place, you need to be very careful and study the situation, over time. Make many trips there, at different times of the year.  I also know someone who lived there, I think in a beach resort, but I can't remember the name of the place, and as far as I know they were happy there. He was working there.  

For economic reasons, and for crime reasons, I strongly suggest that you avoid areas where there are high concentrations of Americans/Canadians/Europeans.  The first place I looked at was Guadalajara/Lake Chapala, Mexico.  Some of the crime against Americans there is by other Americans.   :huh:    I investigated Costa Rica but was turned off by some things (Corruption and what the government did to Expatriates they had lured there with tax benefits and then they cancelled the tax benefits).

You want to be in a place where there are no Currency restrictions and where the banks are very solid.

You want to be in a place where you trust the doctors and hospitals and are happy with them.  You never want to be thinking about going to the USA, if you need surgery...

I moved to Colombia 22 years ago and am very happy with that choice. No place on earth is Perfect. You need to look for the best place for you. Every place you will consider has pros and cons. 

I was planning to move to Cancun, Mexico, which is about 3 hours from Belize City by road.  

GL with your decision about a possible retirement location!

ETA: YOU MUST NEVER MOVE TO ANOTHER COUNTRY WITHOUT HAVING A VISA THAT PERMITS YOU TO BE A PERMANENT RESIDENT THERE.  i met a number of Americans here who did that and it cost them $$$$$$ to get a Visa that is not as good as my visa and was probably issued with false information and required them to leave Colombia every so often...  I applied for my Visa at the Colombian Consulate in Houston TX and I think the actual cost of the Visa was about USD $420 (that was in 1994) plus other expenses for the FBI Fingerprint check and things like that. 

If Belize is like Colombia (and most countries in the world, you will need to get (and carry with you at all times) a National Identity Card.  Without that, you probably would not be able to rent/buy a house or open a bank account, etc.  That's not for Tourists, that's for all Resident Aliens and all Citizens of a country. 

Edited by Lanny
  • Like 1