Menu

Your most fun Easter egg hunt ideas?

madteaparty

I can and will google ;) just wondering if there's any great tips for this massive hunt I'm hosting in our yard. (Besides hiding some eggs in the chicken coop, anyone wants to bet whether the kids think of that?

Also looking for egg fillers besides stickers, play dough, hexbug nano, coins, lego (not sure if they'd fit)?

I'm also doing a brunch but I think waffle bar and fruit will be the extent of it. Thanks!

SIL did a treasure hunt which was always fun. Multiple clues to find the BIG basket. They do have acreage though which makes this more fun. You can have the kids running around between the grapevines back and forth until they discover the basket hanging in an old oak tree...:)

• Like 3

SIL did a treasure hunt which was always fun. Multiple clues to find the BIG basket. They do have acreage though which makes this more fun. You can have the kids running around between the grapevines back and forth until they discover the basket hanging in an old oak tree...:)

We have a few acres too! I adore the basket hanging from a tree idea, thank you! May do that for older kids while the younger chase the neon colored eggs...
  • Like 1

We do each kid seeks and finds X number of smaller eggs (filled with candy), and one big egg with their name on it.  You must quit searching when you've found your limit of smalls and your big.  If you find someone else's big egg, you must leave it alone.

Once all of these are found (with any big kids who have finished helping the littles if needed), kids gather together and open their big eggs.  These eggs contain pieces of a map, that must be put together with tape.  Then, they follow the map to the first clue.

The next section varies depending on who has organized it.  Usually, there are a series of clues, hidden in different places, each leading to the next.  Ideally, the clues will be ones that are likely to be solved by certain kids, but not others.  So for example there may be a question about a popular little kids TV show that the bigs won't know the answer to, and vice versa, and somehow the clue will lead to the next location.  The idea is that everyone' help is needed for the group to work their way through the clues.

Eventually, the last clue leads to either the treasure box, or to an adult who will reveal the whereabouts of the box.  

The box contains something for each person.  Some years they are all different items.  The year I did it, there was a home made silkscreened t-shirt for each kid, featuring a picture of Vladimir the Easter Bunny, riding his Harley-Davidson, as per family legend (long story; not my idea).

The rules state that everyone of the younger generation (my kids and their cousins, collectively considered the "grandkids") can participate in the hunt if they wish.  However, if you find yourself participating with an open beer in hand, then you are considered too old and must recuse yourself.  (This year, we have the first Great-grand kid!  Not sure how this will affect the rules!)

Edited by justasque
  • Like 2

We do each kid seeks and finds X number of smaller eggs (filled with candy), and one big egg with their name on it. You must quit searching when you've found your limit of smalls and your bigs. If you find someone else's big egg, you must leave it alone.

Once all of these are found (with any big kids who have finished helping the littles if needed), kids gather together and open their big eggs. These eggs contain pieces of a map, that must be put together with tape. Then, they follow the map to the first clue.

The next section varies depending on who has organized it. Usually, there are a series of clues, hidden in different places, each leading to the next. Ideally, the clues will be ones that are likely to be solved by certain kids, but not others. So for example there may be a question about a popular little kids TV show that the bigs won't know the answer to, and vice versa, and somehow the clue will lead to the next location. The idea is that everyone' help is needed for the group to work their way through the clues.

Eventually, the last clue leads to either the treasure box, or to an adult who will reveal the whereabouts of the box.

The box contains something for each person. Some years they are all different items. The year I did it, there was a home made silkscreened t-shirt for each kid, featuring a picture of Vladimir the Easter Bunny, riding his Harley-Davidson, as per family legend (long story; not my idea).

The rules state that everyone of the younger generation (my kids and their cousins, collectively considered the "grandkids") can participate in the hunt if they wish. However, if you find yourself participating with an open beer in hand, then you are considered too old and must recuse yourself. (This year, we have the first Great-grand kid! Not sure how this will affect the rules!)

Love this. Thank you thank you
  • Like 1

Do not underestimate the time it takes to hide the eggs.  Do not underestimate how challenging it may be to find hiding places for the number of eggs needed, unless you have a fairly large area or fairly diverse plantings rather than just plain lawn; I usually make several rounds of the area before finishing the task.  Note that some eggs may not be found, so hide a few more than you need.  Some people are tall and can look higher than others.  Plastic eggs can be purchased in bright colors or in "camo" colors; there are pros and cons to each.  Decide ahead of time if plastic eggs go home with the children or if the candy is to be extracted and the plastic eggs returned to the organizer for the next year.  Be sure to have a container for each child to put their eggs/candy in; a plastic grocery bag is not Pintrest-worthy but will do the job.  Impress upon the older kids that they should challenge themselves to look for the more hidden eggs, and leave the obvious ones for the littles to find.

My family's tradition is that plastic, filled eggs have a name on each of them. You may only pick up eggs with your name on them. You may not tell other people where their eggs are (unless littles are having a hard time and an adult okays it).

Hard boiled eggs are a free for all. You may pick up as many as you can find.

This allows for balance. It ensures the little are able to find some, but also allows the older kids to find tons.

It will be just our kids this year though. (Well, others will be coming but I am not organizing a hunt for them all. They can have their own hunt at their house. We will do an egg roll or something.)

We assign kids colors, but we've never had more than 6 kids at a hunt. My mom put a puzzle in the eggs one year, but her husband hid some of the eggs too well. We never could put the puzzles together. Ha. 

:lol: That is exactly why I've never done puzzles or lego pieces in easter eggs.  That is totally what would happen here!

I am loving all the great ideas in this thread.  

We do a huge egg hunt here, and I need some ways to make it appeal to the older crowd - you know the older tweens and young teens?  I think the map might be just the trick.  That is great!

And if anyone has tips for egg fillers that don't involve candy, but appeal to older kids - I'm all ears.  Too many food allergies to do candy here, but the usual suspects re: toy fillers are getting old.  Maybe it's time to just throw in coins?

Egg fillers: hair ties, jewelry, charms, little animals (lots of fun options on Etsy), socks rolled tight (in bigger eggs), polished rocks, bath bombs, keychains, shaped soaps or crayons, plastic dinosaurs, peg people, fairy garden miniatures

Edited by MercyA

:lol: That is exactly why I've never done puzzles or lego pieces in easter eggs. That is totally what would happen here!

I am loving all the great ideas in this thread.

We do a huge egg hunt here, and I need some ways to make it appeal to the older crowd - you know the older tweens and young teens? I think the map might be just the trick. That is great!

And if anyone has tips for egg fillers that don't involve candy, but appeal to older kids - I'm all ears. Too many food allergies to do candy here, but the usual suspects re: toy fillers are getting old. Maybe it's time to just throw in coins?

We do coins. Then have prizes for highest total, lowest total, closest to whatever...

• Like 1

Do not underestimate the time it takes to hide the eggs. Do not underestimate how challenging it may be to find hiding places for the number of eggs needed, unless you have a fairly large area or fairly diverse plantings rather than just plain lawn; I usually make several rounds of the area before finishing the task. Note that some eggs may not be found, so hide a few more than you need. Some people are tall and can look higher than others. Plastic eggs can be purchased in bright colors or in "camo" colors; there are pros and cons to each. Decide ahead of time if plastic eggs go home with the children or if the candy is to be extracted and the plastic eggs returned to the organizer for the next year. Be sure to have a container for each child to put their eggs/candy in; a plastic grocery bag is not Pintrest-worthy but will do the job. Impress upon the older kids that they should challenge themselves to look for the more hidden eggs, and leave the obvious ones for the littles to find.

Thanks. It's a huge and diverse area with trees and shrub and play set and playhouse and on and on. The older kids are all super sweet and will, on their own volition, help the littles. I think I will surprise them with personalized baskets for their trouble â¤ï¸
  • Like 1