Menu

Grilling options for ground beef

KatieJ

We have tons of ground beef as we buy a half cow, organic, hormone and antibiotic free.

Warmer now and we want to grill more. Other than hamburgers, what can I do with the ground meat on the grill. I don't eat a lot of bread, and I am not overly fond of a burger without a bun.

Other than forming it into a patty, I don't know how else you could cook ground beef directly on the grill. 

What you might do instead is to make the regular things you make, in a pan, on the grill. Especially if you have a gas grill, we do that often. Just take your pan outside and use the grill to brown the ground beef as you normally would and make tacos, spaghetti, etc. 

Or there might be things you could do in foil packets....I've not tried those, but it's one way to cook things that would fall through. 

• Like 1

We like a bit of a variety in our burgers.

For instance, we mix in some heavy red wine (left over Cab or Merlot), and stuff the patties with blue cheese for one variation.

Another is to spice them with baking spices for a sweeter burger.

Also, there are kabab recipes (on those long spatula type skewers) that involve ground meat that are really good.

I make meatballs by baking them on a jelly roll pan at high temperatures until they are done on the outside but pink inside.  I imagine that doing this on a Weber (closed) grill would be even better because of the smokey flavor.  Then I put them in any standard sauce recipe that goes with them.

• Like 1

Other than forming it into a patty, I don't know how else you could cook ground beef directly on the grill.

What you might do instead is to make the regular things you make, in a pan, on the grill. Especially if you have a gas grill, we do that often. Just take your pan outside and use the grill to brown the ground beef as you normally would and make tacos, spaghetti, etc.

Or there might be things you could do in foil packets....I've not tried those, but it's one way to cook things that would fall through.

Hobo dinners! Haven't made them since kiddies were smaller, but yes, I can do that.

• Like 1

I don't know how it would work with a burger, but this might be worth a try. I'm not overly fond of buns, so I use tortillas in the place of bread for sandwiches. Tortillas work great with hot dogs! I find it works best to chop them up a bit.

I love buns, however I am in a low calories, high protein medical supervised weight loss plan. Bread and tortillas are first thing I cut out when the calories get too high. I eat them, but sparingly.

We like a bit of a variety in our burgers.

For instance, we mix in some heavy red wine (left over Cab or Merlot), and stuff the patties with blue cheese for one variation.

Another is to spice them with baking spices for a sweeter burger.

Also, there are kabab recipes (on those long spatula type skewers) that involve ground meat that are really good.

I make meatballs by baking them on a jelly roll pan at high temperatures until they are done on the outside but pink inside. I imagine that doing this on a Weber (closed) grill would be even better because of the smokey flavor. Then I put them in any standard sauce recipe that goes with them.

I have a grill pan. I wonder if I could make meatballs on there?

When I grill bun-less ground beef ( which is faily often) I almost always shape the portions into long rectangular kebab-like shapes that have some thickness to them. I think simply the psychogical effect of not forming the meat into thin patties stops the mind from thinking one is missing a bun.

Having a little thickness also keeps the meat from drying out, while enabling a nice char on the outside.

Another thing than can transform the kebab shaped grilled meat is the choice of seasoning. If one adds something like an Arabic 7 Spices blend called Baharaat or the similar Persian version called Advieh, you get a Middle Eastern twist that's great with salads of that region. Seasoning with Herbs de Provence tilts the same dish towards souther rench sides. The variations are almost limitless.

As Amira suggests, there are special kebab skewers that look somewhat like thin flat swords (the kids will certainly see them as such) that are designed for the purpose. These skewers are not strictly necessary, but are another way to extend the appearance of variety when grilling ground meat,

Bill

• Like 3