Menu

Does anyone here make their own homemade low sodium pizza?

Sweet Home Alabama

For the dough...

This makes four thin crusts.

1. 1 1/2 cups warm water, about 70°F.
  2. 1 (1/4-ounce) envelope active dry yeast.
  3. 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for greasing as needed.
  4. 4 1/2 cups all-purpose or "00" flour, plus more as needed.
  5. 1 teaspoon kosher salt.
  6. 1 pound fresh buffalo mozzarella, sliced.

For sauce, just blend up a can of low-sodium tomatoes or blend fresh tomatoes with a bit of basil. Omit any salt.

Top with your favourite veggies and fresh mozzarella.

• Like 1

I've made my pizza dough and forgotten the salt and didn't notice a difference so I think you could leave it out or at least reduce it. And you'll want to find low sodium mozzarella.  For sauce you can use no salt added tomato sauce and add your own garlic, onion, and Italian seasonings.  Cook it down a little until it's thicker. 

Veggies are fine to add but if you want meat be sure to read labels carefully.  My guys really like pepperoni but after dh had a heart attack we changed how we eat and when I make pizza I dice pepperoni slices into tiny bits and use them sparingly. We also only use 6 ounces of cheese for our family pizza which is 12 by 16 inches. They adjusted and are now totally fine with our pizza...but it was an adjustment. 

BBQ chicken pizza is also really good!

• Like 1

Do you have a Trader Joe's nearby? 

We've used their no salt added marinara as a pizza sauce.

We've also used their grated swiss and gruyere blend on our pizzas.  The sodium content is, if I recall correctly, 55mg per ounce.  They also have a pre-sliced aged swiss cheese which is 30mg per ounce if you want to lower the content even more.

(I've had no luck locally finding mozzarella that is under 100mg per ounce.)

If you want a meat topping on your pizza, you might be able to find ground pork and season it.  I've found some ground pork (BE SURE TO CHECK THE LABEL) that is 60mg for four ounces.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1

We've done low sodium pizza for the exact same diagnosis. Dh's doctor said we don't have to be super low, just stay under the target everyone is supposed to hit--2300 mg/day. I don't have exact numbers but this cuts a lot of sodium:

homemade dough with no salt (will rise faster because salt inhibits yeast.)

homemade sauce with no salt added crushed tomatoes from Trader Joe's, tomato paste, garlic, basil

fresh mozzarella seems to be the best I can find locally for lower sodium cheese. Sometimes I just use regular but I go light on the cheese--4 oz per pizza.

We like mushrooms and tomatoes for toppings--no sodium there.

You can boost flavor by brushing dough with olive oil after it's rolled out and putting on some garlic powder and Italian herb seasonings. Then top with sauce, cheese, toppings.

• Like 2

Thank you, Sneezyone. Do you have any idea how many mg of sodium is in the recipe?

Not sure. However many grams are in the salt you add to the dough or in the tomatoes? You needn't add any salt at all really b/c as said above, the salt is only to keep the dough from rising out of control. Fresh mozzarella can be made from scratch too to eliminate or reduce the salt content. I prefer the flavor of fresh too.

Edited by Sneezyone