Menu

Low energy parenting

macmacmoo

I have low energy and a laid back passive sort of personality. Causing conflict is not something I do. But parenting wise is starting to take its toll. Eldest turned out well with my laid back ways the occasional spanking and time out when he was toddler was enough that the threat of one still holds meaning till this day. The current preschooler I realize very quickly did not respond to spankings, time outs were to much of a struggle for me to enforcer to the lack of consistency meant it was not a threat. The toddler is starting to get defiant disobienence is running rambient. I have to pick my battles because the effort to create conflict with them and to discipline them completely drains me and more mischief then runs rampant.

Are their any parenting styles / methods of discipline that could help me?

I work on relationship building as my primary parenting tool. My focus is not on requiring obedience but rather on modeling and facilitating positive behavior and interactions.

With some kids the more you push for obedience the more defiant they will become; that is a lose/lose scenario.

• Like 4

I agree with Maize. Build the relationship. I'm not a big believer in parenting by fear tactics, no matter how high or low energy the parents may be. You need your children to care about being in relationship with you; only then can they choose to do well whether you are standing in front of them or not.

• Like 3