Menu

Book a Week 2017 - BW13 : Happy Birthday Robert Frost

Jane in NC

Adding to Erin's quote above: those of you not familiar with Ernst Haeckel might want to check out some of his biological illustrations.  I am very fond of them.

http://www.kuriositas.com/2012/01/art-forms-of-nature-ernst-haeckel.html

Those truly are stunning!  Thanks for the link, Jane.  And thanks, Erin, for the article link.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 5

A one day only classic that is currently free for Kindle readers ~

Greenmantle by John Buchan

"The second installment in the electrifying adventures of Richard Hannay, BritainĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s greatest secret agent

Major Richard Hannay, hero of The Thirty-Nine Steps, is recovering from wounds sustained in the bloody Battle of Loos when his old friend Sir Walter Bullivant summons him to the Foreign Office. Hoping for a promotion, Hannay is asked instead to investigate rumors that a Ă¢â‚¬Å“star rising in the WestĂ¢â‚¬ is about to bring the entirety of the Muslim world under the KaiserĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s control. Hannay enlists the help of a polyglot British soldier and a dyspeptic American spy to go undercover first in Germany and then in Constantinople, where the glamorous and enigmatic Hilda von Einem is behind the conspiracy. In a stunning climax set during the pivotal clash between Russian and Ottoman forces over the Turkish city of Erzerum, Hannay and his cohorts risk everything to ensure that England and her allies will live to fight another day.

With its skillful blend of political insight and heart-stopping action, Greenmantle was a huge step forward in the development of the modern espionage novel. It was also, and still very much is, an irresistible thrill ride from first page to last."

The Thirty-Nine Steps  is also currently free.

Two posts from Tor.com that might be of interest ~

Five Books That Tell the MonsterĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Story  by  Ruthanna Emrys

Five Books I Was Thinking Of When I Wrote The Collapsing Empire  by John Scalzi

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 7

I finished Dune, and The Animal Family.

My husband finished reading The Worry Week aloud to me.  I love this book but it might not fly unless you are familiar with the bathroom on the ferry to North Haven and have eaten mussels and other gatherables, and have dealt with the cold water, the sting of salt water in raspberry scratches, the mosquitoes, the barnacles, the rich people in motor boats, the sunburn, and all the other discomforts of that heaven called North Haven.  We are now reading The Exiles, since this sort of book seems to be working for me to go to sleep on at the moment.

I am listening to the first of Brandon Sanderson's Codex books and The Little Book of Hygge.  Not sure I'm going to make it through the first and rationing the second, since it is comforting to listen to.  Comforting but not enlightening.  : )  My family is really good at hygge.  There are two standing lamps by our sofa - one is the taking-out-a-splinter-or-getting-extra-daylight light and the other is the playing-cribbage-in-front-of-the-woodstove-or-curling-up-with-the-cat-and-a-book light.

I saw two Little Free Library boxes yesterday!!  My first!

Nan

• Like 10

I re-read three linked stories from Thea Harrison's Elder Races series and enjoyed them all once again:

Dragos Goes to Washington: A Novella of the Elder Races

Pia Does Hollywood: A Novella of the Elder Races

Liam Takes Manhattan: A Short Story of the Elder Races.

I also read a new book Shift (Wolves of Hunter's Rock Book 1) by Shelley Grayson. I found it a pleasant read but I don't think it's a book I'll be re-reading anytime soon.  (Adult content)  There's a very positive review here.

"Someone's killing werewolves.

Lukas Vance finds a list of towns, and in each one he discovers a murdered 19-year-old who smells almost like pack even though he knows they can't be related to him. He reaches the next town on the list before the killer, determined to get the intended victim out of this situation alive. When he catches the familiar pack scent and sees the guy it belongs to, Lukas wants to do so much more than protect him.

Chris Keenan doesn't know why gorgeous, broody Lukas thinks he's in danger. Lukas says he wants to keep him safe, and when Chris freaks out Lukas is the only one able to calm him down. Chris has been feeling off for a while, and whatever's causing that seems to be related to the list of towns and the murderer who's made him a target. Instead of going to the police, Chris puts his trust in Lukas. But even with Lukas protecting him, figuring out what's wrong with him may be the last thing Chris ever does."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 6

I am taking a break from studying for my Latin exam which I am terrified of and have to take tomorrow.  Also, I think one of my cats is sick and the toilet in the hall overflowed.  Just letting you in on my emotional state right now.....  Anyway, I've decided I can not continue to listen to H is for Hawk.  I can't stand the overwrought, navel gazing exploitation of her father's death so she can talk about herself.  I know it is a memoir but I just finished listening to Sidney Poitier's memoir and I never thought, what self-indulgent b*llsh*t.  I think it might have been that Poitier actually had interesting things to say about his interesting life, whereas I feel like MacDonald is trying too hard to be deep and significant and she doesn't quite have it in her to be deep and significant.  

I am disappointed because I thought it sounded like it would be fascinating and absorbing instead of annoying.

• Like 12

Good luck on your exam. Great accomplishment. 

As for books I'm reading at the moment, I am not really enjoying American Gods. It's just dragging. I like chunks of it. I'm feeling impatient with the book. I get like this with long fiction books. I felt the same with Uprooted as I liked chunks of it, but the story took too long. This is the first Gaiman book that has me feeling 'eh' and not being totally into it. 

• Like 10

I finished The Handmaid's Tale for my dystopian bingo square.  I've actually been meaning to read that for years and years, since I saw the first (was it made-for-tv?) movie of it they made.  But although it was always on my to-read list, but something else always cut in line.  I really liked the book, and the writing.  I think I'd like to read more Atwood - anyone have any recommendations which of her other books I might like?

As for books I'm reading at the moment, I am not really enjoying American Gods. It's just dragging. I like chunks of it. I'm feeling impatient with the book. I get like this with long fiction books. I felt the same with Uprooted as I liked chunks of it, but the story took too long. This is the first Gaiman book that has me feeling 'eh' and not being totally into it. 

American Gods didn't do much for me.  I know so many people who loooove it (including my dd18), but for me, it was just... meh.  It was the first Gaiman I read, so now that's put me off him a bit.  Since you've liked other Gaiman better, is there anything you'd recommend that you'd think would get him off my "I don't get the hype" list?

Honestly, I think that book embodies what I don't like about much male writing (not all, by any means, just a certain kind).  This happens, that happens.  Shadow is a big man (that gets repeated ad nauseum).  Wednesday screws a lot of random women.  The book's idea of 'strong' female characters are someone who literally eats men with her lady bits (is that a male fantasy, or their deepest fears about powerful women?), and Bast, who services Shadow and disappears.  The only inner dialogue we get is Shadow, who doesn't understand his own motivations (so how are we supposed to?) and just goes through life doing what other people tell him to.  The book has an interesting concept, but I wasn't blown away by the execution at all.

• Like 11

I'm another who didn't enjoy American Gods nearly as much as I expected to, and I liked your review, Erin, I think that you hit on most of my problems with it.

As far as Margaret Atwood, I've tried some of her other stuff but not ever found anything I liked as much as The Handmaid's Tale.  I did enjoy The Penelopiad, but none of the others.

I finished reading Game of Queens: The Women Who Made Sixteenth-Century Europe. I really enjoyed it. I love reading about women in history and this was a particularly rich time for women to wield power, in a decidedly pre-modern way, but wield it nontheless. I'm going to go down a few reading rabbit trails after this.  I also finished listening to I Contain Multitudes, which I enjoyed immensely! Great science writing, fascinating topic.

I'm reading way too many things right now, in bits and pieces, but not really focusing on much. Except for The Complete Guide to Fasting: I'm devouring it (hee hee). So interesting, thanks for reviewing it, Mom-ninja.  Unlike you, I am carrying a few stubborn excess pounds and have been affected by the post-40 weight creep over the past year or two. I've started really being disciplined about a low carb diet and implementing some intermittent fasting, and it's been surprisingly easy and satisfying to do. I feel like it might help with celiac-related inflammation issues a lot, also. Anyway, I'm going to stick with this and actually track weight, waist circ, etc. and see how it works. The science behind the idea - having periods where insulin levels fall to essentially zero and your body burns stored fat - makes a lot of sense to me. Anyway, like I said, it feels surprisingly good.  Now I just need to ramp up my exercising and make it more regular and consistent.

Edited by Chrysalis Academy
  • Like 11

I think I'd like to read more Atwood - anyone have any recommendations which of her other books I might like?

As far as Margaret Atwood, I've tried some of her other stuff but not ever found anything I liked as much as The Handmaid's Tale.  I did enjoy The Penelopiad, but none of the others.

I'm another one who tried to read more Atwood and didn't care for anything else. The Handmaid's Tale was my first Atwood and I loved it. Next I read Oryx and Crake wasn't impressed. I tried one more - I can't remember the title - but didn't finish it. I wish I had just left it at The Handmaid's Tale and never tried her other stuff. 

I do know people who love her work though, and you might end up being one of them.

• Like 11

I'm another one who tried to read more Atwood and didn't care for anything else. The Handmaid's Tale was my first Atwood and I loved it. Next I read Oryx and Crake wasn't impressed. I tried one more - I can't remember the title - but didn't finish it. I wish I had just left it at The Handmaid's Tale and never tried her other stuff. 

I do know people who love her work though, and you might end up being one of them.

Hmmm...  I'm sensing a pattern, though. :)  I think I might try the Penelopiad, which I think might already be on my TR list because of the topic (I tend to really like retellings of fairy tales and myth, American Gods notwithstanding), but tread cautiously from there.  There are some authors where I can just read anything they've written and love it, but it's a short list...

• Like 11

I just started Exit West. I think I'm going to like it. On page 4: "but that is the way of things, with cities as with life, for one moment we are pottering about our errands as usual and the next we are dying, and our eternally impending ending does not put a stop to our transient beginnings and middles until the instant when it does."  That just makes me shiver, in a good way.

• Like 10

So, who has read Candide and who has not?  I'm in the latter group.

Candide by Voltaire

"VoltaireĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s satire of eighteenth-century Europe, hailed as one of the most influential works in the Western canon

CandideĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s misfortunes begin when his uncle, a German baron, banishes him for kissing the baronĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s daughter, CunĂƒÂ©gonde. Forced to make his own way in the world, Candide goes from conscription in the Bulgar army, to Lisbon, after a harrowing voyage by sea, to the tutelage of the Enlightenment philosopher Pangloss. After an unexpected reunion with his beloved CunĂƒÂ©gonde, Candide finds that further misadventure awaits, first through South America and then back in Europe, where he settles in the countryside.

Among the most widely renowned texts of western literature, Candide lives on two hundred fifty years since its first publication as a supreme example of political, philosophical, and religious satire whose wit and power of observation have influenced writers for generations."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 8

An enjoyable article ~

One of AmericaĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s foremost rare-book appraisers hangs on in the digital age by Neely Tucker

"Ă¢â‚¬Å“Hey, wanna see something cool?Ă¢â‚¬

Allan Stypeck, barreling down the bookstore aisle.

Big guy, barrel-chested, pushing 70, thinning white hair, heavy with the New York accent (Brooklyn, with a shade of Long Island). Leans in close, a little conspiratorial thing going on: Ă¢â‚¬Å“Wanna come see this?Ă¢â‚¬

Look, hey, itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s an invitation I canĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t refuse.

Stypeck is an impossible character, the kind of larger-than-life raconteur people say doesnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t exist inside the button-down Beltway. HeĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s the impresario of Second Story Books, one of the nationĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s foremost appraisers of rare books and manuscripts, and a regular on Ă¢â‚¬Å“Chesapeake CollectiblesĂ¢â‚¬ on Maryland Public Television.

Over his four-decade career, this Ă¢â‚¬Å“wanna see something cool?Ă¢â‚¬ gambit might have referred to an $11 million copy of John J. AudubonĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Ă¢â‚¬Å“Birds of AmericaĂ¢â‚¬; the mummified corpse of Gold Tooth Jimmy, a Detroit gangster; Henry KissingerĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s papers; dinosaur eggs; or a first edition of Ă¢â‚¬Å“The Great Gatsby,Ă¢â‚¬ complete with the telltale error Ă¢â‚¬Å“sick in tired,Ă¢â‚¬ on Page 205, which would let you know the book youĂ¢â‚¬â„¢re holding is likely worth $100,000 or more...."

I don't have a Facebook account so can't see much of this, but what I can see looks intriguing ~ Books2eat: International Edible Books Festival

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 8

Struggling to keep in touch on a regular basis, so just popping in to share a link to an interesting article on NPR today that is promoting a new book:

'Nabokov's Favorite Word Is Mauve' Crunches the (Literary) Numbers

The NPR article shares these fun tidbits from a new book by Ben Blatt, in which Blatt ran a number of classics through various data bases to determine some interesting facts about some classic authors -- such as:

- their favorite words (Nabokov = mauve, banal, plun; Amy Tan = gourd, peanut, noodles)

- which 5 authors used exclamation points most frequently (James Joyce!), or least frequently (Elmore Leonard)

- whether male or female authors use "he interrupted" and/or "she interrupted" most frequently (male authors use "she interrupted" 3x as frequently as "he interrupted", while female authors use the two phrases at the same ratio)

- which authors used clichĂƒÂ©s most/least frequently (James Patterson/Jane Austen)

Cheers! :)

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 11

Struggling to keep in touch on a regular basis, so just popping in to share a link to an interesting article on NPR today that is promoting a new book:

'Nabokov's Favorite Word Is Mauve' Crunches the (Literary) Numbers

The NPR article shares these fun tidbits from a new book by Ben Blatt, in which Blatt ran a number of classics through various data bases to determine some interesting facts about some classic authors -- such as:

- their favorite words (Nabokov = mauve, banal, plun; Amy Tan = gourd, peanut, noodles)

- which 5 authors used exclamation points most frequently (James Joyce!), or least frequently (Elmore Leonard)

- whether male or female authors use "he interrupted" and/or "she interrupted" most frequently

- which authors used clichĂƒÂ©s most/least frequently (James Patterson/Jane Austen)

Cheers! :)

I have this on request as I find data analysis interesting. I hope to get it soon.

Just finished Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi. Wow. What an amazing book. If you have it on your TBR list, I highly recommend bumping it up. Be warned it's not a single character arc. It covers 300+ years and each time period is a new character. But within a few paragraphs you can determine the relationships and settle into the story. Gyasi doesn't look away from the harsh realities of the African diaspora, but she gives it a "corner of the eye" treatment. You see what's happening without too much harshness. A fantastic book.

Edited by ErinE
  • Like 10

Candide by Voltaire

"VoltaireĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s satire of eighteenth-century Europe, hailed as one of the most influential works in the Western canon

CandideĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s misfortunes begin when his uncle, a German baron, banishes him for kissing the baronĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s daughter, CunĂƒÂ©gonde. Forced to make his own way in the world, Candide goes from conscription in the Bulgar army, to Lisbon, after a harrowing voyage by sea, to the tutelage of the Enlightenment philosopher Pangloss. After an unexpected reunion with his beloved CunĂƒÂ©gonde, Candide finds that further misadventure awaits, first through South America and then back in Europe, where he settles in the countryside.

Among the most widely renowned texts of western literature, Candide lives on two hundred fifty years since its first publication as a supreme example of political, philosophical, and religious satire whose wit and power of observation have influenced writers for generations."

Regards,

Kareni

I read it quite a few years ago, but it's on my re-read stack for as soon as I finish Gulliver's Travels. Two inspirations: one is the many references in the Terra Ignota series, and the other is the Utopian Lit class from the Great Courses that dd and I are planning on doing next school year - I'm trying to get a jump on the reading list and decide which books we'll cover.

• Like 9

I finished The Handmaid's Tale for my dystopian bingo square.  I've actually been meaning to read that for years and years, since I saw the first (was it made-for-tv?) movie of it they made.  But although it was always on my to-read list, but something else always cut in line.  I really liked the book, and the writing.  I think I'd like to read more Atwood - anyone have any recommendations which of her other books I might like?

American Gods didn't do much for me.  I know so many people who loooove it (including my dd18), but for me, it was just... meh.  It was the first Gaiman I read, so now that's put me off him a bit.  Since you've liked other Gaiman better, is there anything you'd recommend that you'd think would get him off my "I don't get the hype" list?

Honestly, I think that book embodies what I don't like about much male writing (not all, by any means, just a certain kind).  This happens, that happens.  Shadow is a big man (that gets repeated ad nauseum).  Wednesday screws a lot of random women.  The book's idea of 'strong' female characters are someone who literally eats men with her lady bits (is that a male fantasy, or their deepest fears about powerful women?), and Bast, who services Shadow and disappears.  The only inner dialogue we get is Shadow, who doesn't understand his own motivations (so how are we supposed to?) and just goes through life doing what other people tell him to.  The book has an interesting concept, but I wasn't blown away by the execution at all.

I have only read The Handmaid's Tale  so can't recommend anything else. As for Gaiman I liked Neverwhere, Ocean at the End of the Lane, The Graveyard Book,  and his collections of short stories. 

I'm another who didn't enjoy American Gods nearly as much as I expected to, and I liked your review, Erin, I think that you hit on most of my problems with it.

I finished reading Game of Queens: The Women Who Made Sixteenth-Century Europe. I really enjoyed it. I love reading about women in history and this was a particularly rich time for women to wield power, in a decidedly pre-modern way, but wield it nontheless. I'm going to go down a few reading rabbit trails after this.  I also finished listening to I Contain Multitudes, which I enjoyed immensely! Great science writing, fascinating topic.

I'm reading way too many things right now, in bits and pieces, but not really focusing on much. Except for The Complete Guide to Fasting: I'm devouring it (hee hee). So interesting, thanks for reviewing it, Mom-ninja.  Unlike you, I am carrying a few stubborn excess pounds and have been affected by the post-40 weight creep over the past year or two. I've started really being disciplined about a low carb diet and implementing some intermittent fasting, and it's been surprisingly easy and satisfying to do. I feel like it might help with celiac-related inflammation issues a lot, also. Anyway, I'm going to stick with this and actually track weight, waist circ, etc. and see how it works. The science behind the idea - having periods where insulin levels fall to essentially zero and your body burns stored fat - makes a lot of sense to me. Anyway, like I said, it feels surprisingly good.  Now I just need to ramp up my exercising and make it more regular and consistent.

I have the I Contain Multitudes on my tbr list. Glad to hear you liked it. 

As for fasting, I end up doing short fasts but not really on purpose. The thing is that I'm not hungry much, and I feel so much better when I don't force myself to eat. I don't like the full feeling I get from eating. I feel better with less eating. I get scolded for that. My dr. now wants me to go lactose free to see if that helps my appetite and overly full feeling when I eat. Not sure I can give up my Ben & Jerry's though. Cause I already had to give up all gluten, and now my beloved pints? I figure I'll limit myself to 1 pint a month and see how that goes. Not eating other dairy will be easy.

Loved that book.

• Like 10

Mumto2, I'm excited to hear that about Etched In Bone. I'm waiting for it from the library.

I just finished the latest Mercy Thompson book and wasn't that impressed. It was a bummer because I love Mercy. I'm also a few chapters into Kim Harrison's The Turn and I'm enjoying that one much more! I always wondered the story behind the tomato that knocked out most of the humans in The Hollows series.

• Like 9

Mumto2, I'm excited to hear that about Etched In Bone. I'm waiting for it from the library.

I just finished the latest Mercy Thompson book and wasn't that impressed. It was a bummer because I love Mercy. I'm also a few chapters into Kim Harrison's The Turn and I'm enjoying that one much more! I always wondered the story behind the tomato that knocked out most of the humans in The Hollows series.

Etched in Bone was great! I have to admit I liked the Mercy Thompson but it was because it kept things smaller character wise, I think.

Thanks for mentioning The Turn. I saw it in the new books in Overdrive and decided to wait before starting another new series. I read and loved several of The Hollows books but have no idea where I left off. Unfortunately it was before I used Goodreads so I need to reread all of them and just hadn't gotten around to it.....So I have a hold on The Turn and will be able to start at the very beginning!

• Like 7

I am taking a break from studying for my Latin exam which I am terrified of and have to take tomorrow. Also, I think one of my cats is sick and the toilet in the hall overflowed. Just letting you in on my emotional state right now..... Anyway, I've decided I can not continue to listen to H is for Hawk. I can't stand the overwrought, navel gazing exploitation of her father's death so she can talk about herself. I know it is a memoir but I just finished listening to Sidney Poitier's memoir and I never thought, what self-indulgent b*llsh*t. I think it might have been that Poitier actually had interesting things to say about his interesting life, whereas I feel like MacDonald is trying too hard to be deep and significant and she doesn't quite have it in her to be deep and significant.

I am disappointed because I thought it sounded like it would be fascinating and absorbing instead of annoying.

I finally abandoned H is for Hawk about 3/4 of the way through for much the same reason. I kept thinking surely it will change, I'll just finish it, I'm almost done but at some point I just couldn't make myself open the book again. This was very disappointing to me because my 17 yo dd is a birder and I had thought maybe I could pass the book on to her. But of course from the very beginning I realized that this would not be happening.

I think the worst thing about the book for me is that it has spoiled TH White's The Once and Future King.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Angelaboord
  • Like 8

I did not read The Obesity Code in entirety so maybe someone here can answer. Does he at all address HIIT and strength training and how that affects insulin, glucose usage, and glucose/glycogen storage? From what I gleaned he did not. I take issue with that as he leaves out what I feel is vital information. If you regularly do HIIT your body is burning fuel (glucose or fat) for many hours later while resting. The same goes for muscle. Muscle is hungry and gobbles up fuel even in resting state. So just those two things alone will dramatically decrease the amount of unused glucose in your blood which would then be stored as fat. You can eat that banana and enjoy the many health benefits from all the fiber, vitamins, and minerals without worrying about the fructose being stored as fat.

Obviously, people with diabetes have different concerns when it comes to glucose and insulin. However, type 2 diabetes (which he addresses) can be helped with building muscle mass.Muscle and brain love glucose and eat lots of it. So double up and lift weights while listening to an audio book. ;)

So does he go into HIIT and muscle mass?

Nope. In fact, he makes it sound like exercise doesn't have very much at all with whether or not you can lose weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 7

I am taking a break from studying for my Latin exam which I am terrified of and have to take tomorrow.  ..

I hope that the Latin exam went well, Faithr.

I finished a couple of books recently ~

The first one is currently free to Kindle readers; it was a pleasant read and the first in the series, but I'm not sure I'll continue on.  I was amused though at the fact that the main character was reading a Patricia Briggs book when the story began.

Shiftless by Aimee Easterling

"A decade after learning to squash her wolf and flee the repressive village where she grew up, the packless ache still gnaws at Terra's insides. But despite her yearnings, she struggles against being reeled back into her old life.

To Terra's dismay, her father and half a dozen of his henchmen finally ambush her and demand her return. Yet they do offer one way out --- hunt down her nephew Keith, teach him to shift, and bring the youngster back into the fold in her place.

Problem upon problem piles up as Terra strives to do her father's bidding. The female shifter has hidden from her wolf for so long that she finds herself unable to change back into canine form, and she also realizes that her nephew is too good-natured to survive for a minute walking in his grandfather's footsteps. Plus, there's an alpha standing in her way who's equal parts enticing and terrifying.

Will Terra be able to relearn her werewolf abilities --- and overcome her morals --- before her father steals away her hard-earned independence? And as that tantalizing alpha reels her in closer and closer, the question becomes --- does she really want to stay away?"

I also read and enjoyed Wolves of Black Pine (The Wolfkin Saga Book 1) by SJ Himes.  Well, I enjoyed it until I got to the end where it mentioned that the story would continue in a book due out in early 2016.  It's 2017 and said book has not yet appeared.  Hmmph!  (Adult content)

'An ancient civilization long hidden from humanity is on the brink of chaos and war. Peaceful for thousands of years, the wolfkin clans are mysteriously losing packmates, kidnapped and killed by unknown foes.

The nightmare begins with an ambush by humans at a gathering of their kind, and lives are lost. Among them is Luca, youngest grandson of the two most powerful wolves in the Northern Clans. Thought long dead and gone, he is forced into a half-life, hidden in the far northern wilds of Canada and cut off from his kind. Those who raised him have no idea the creature they harbor in their midst, and name him Ghost. He begins to lose himself over the long years, and though he barely recalls his true name, the one wolf he never forgets is Kane.

Kane, Heir to the wolfkin clan Black Pine, is charged with hunting down the traitors who betrayed their kind to the humans. Years fly by, and more wolves are dying. He refuses to give up, and he vows to never again fail another of their kind, as he failed young Luca years before. His heart tells him Luca lives, but his mind tells him that itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s foolish hope, his guilt eating him alive.

Fate and magic change the course of their lives, and the two wolves long separated by the years find their paths intertwining. Though the gift of their reunion doesnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t come without price. Faced by the consequences of their growing love, and the goddess-forged bond between them, Kane and Ghost are besieged on all sides. Enemies are coming for their blood, and without the steadfast loyalty and love of family and friends, they may not be safe from the very people they fight to protect."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 6

The Haunted Bookshop by Christopher Morley

"This classic story of romance and intrigue in a Brooklyn bookstore is one of the most beloved mysteries of all time

Aubrey Gilbert stops by the Haunted Bookshop hoping to sell his services as an advertising copywriter. He fails to accomplish his goal, but learns that Titania Chapman, the lovely daughter of his most important client, is a store assistant there. Aubrey returns to visit Titania and experiences a series of unusual events: He is attacked on his way home from the store, an obscure book mysteriously disappears and reappears, and two strange characters are seen skulking in a nearby alleyway. Aubrey initially suspects the bookstoreĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s gregarious owner, Roger Mifflin, of scheming to kidnap Titania, but the plot he eventually uncovers is far more complex and sinister than he could have ever imagined.

A charming ode to the art of bookselling wrapped inside a thrilling suspense story, The Haunted Bookshop is a must-read for bibliophiles and mystery lovers alike."

Other :)
I started the book, but so far I did not manage it to finish the book....
I suppose I don't get the satire.

Foolish me!  I forgot to offer the possibility of 'other.'

It's been interesting to read the responses to my question.  There seems to be quite a bit of love for Candide.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 7

Hey gang, I'm back.  A big thank you to Jane and Amy for holding down the fort in my absence.  Had a great time with the family not only celebrating dad's 86th birthday and my oldest sister's 21st anniversary but also having a  cleaning party. Dad needed help clearing out house clutter and the garage.  He paid us by taking us out to dinner every night. I think I gained 5 pounds. He lives right on the Colorado river across from Laughlin, Nevada which has casino row with lots of great restaurants including Riverside's Prime Rib Room and Bubba Gump Shrimp Company.  Yum!  Weather was a balmy 70 degrees the whole time which helped with the garage clearing task. Fun but exhausted by the time I got home.

Haven't got much reading done the past few days.  Think I'm still working on spelling out aquamarine.  Off to peruse the thread  and also finish Sunday's Diamond April post.  Does anyone remember who wanted to lead the Somerset Maughan read of Razer's Edge?  I forgot to write it down.   :tongue_smilie:

:cheers2:

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 12

Prairegirl and Mum:  Hugs and love and healing thoughts winging your way! 

Karen - Thanks for all the great links! 

Hugs to all still struggling with the horrible flu / cold and hope you, kids, hubbies feel better soon. 

Angela: I also read a bit of Black Lamb and Grey Falcon by Rebecca West. My kindle app tells me I am on page 30 of 1071. I really have no business reading this book. It is going to take me years. But I have really enjoyed these 30 pages. West is a wonderful writer mixing history and travelogue and memoir and her perspective on the interwar years in the Balkans is enlightening.

Mumto2: I have to agree Black Lamb and Grey Falcon looks fascinating. I found it in my overdrive. I wonder if it might work as a read along for the group in the future? Jane any interest?

jane: Great idea says the traveler who was in Yugoslavia when it was still a country and Tito was alive. Should we nominate this as a possibility for a 2018 year long book? (We'll have to stock our bars with slivovitz. *wink*) 

What an intriguing idea. Checked it out on Amazon and looks quite interesting.  

Jenn - glad you had a great time in Japan. Can't wait to see the pictures. 

Later, dolls!

:grouphug:

• Like 9

Hey gang, I'm back.  A big thank you to Jane and Amy for holding down the fort in my absence.  Had a great time with the family not only celebrating dad's 86th birthday and my oldest sister's 21st anniversary but also having a  cleaning party. Dad needed help clearing out house clutter and the garage.  He paid us by taking us out to dinner every night. I think I gained 5 pounds. He lives right on the Colorado river across from Laughlin, Nevada which has casino row with lots of great restaurants including Riverside's Prime Rib Room and Bubba Gump Shrimp Company.  Yum!  Weather was a balmy 70 degrees the whole time which helped with the garage clearing task. Fun but exhausted by the time I got home.

Haven't got much reading done the past few days.  Think I'm still working on spelling out aquamarine.  Off to peruse the thread  and also finish Sunday's Diamond April post.  Does anyone remember who wanted to lead the Somerset Maughan read of Razer's Edge?  I forgot to write it down.   :tongue_smilie:

:cheers2:

That would be me leading the Maugham discussion.  But isn't that slated for May?  I am not prepared otherwise!

• Like 8

That would be me leading the Maugham discussion.  But isn't that slated for May?  I am not prepared otherwise!

Oh!  I thought we were going to read Maugham for April and then other European authors for May.  But I can move Maugham to May and do authors from India for April.  Would that work better? 

• Like 8

Oh!  I thought we were going to read Maugham for April and then other European authors for May.  But I can move Maugham to May and do authors from India for April.  Would that work better? 

Yes, please.  I am sorry if I failed to remember the correct month!

Thank you, Robin.

• Like 8

Chiming in to say that I actually really enjoyed Oryx and Crake and the accompanying two books and in fact, those are about the only books I have actually gone out and bought new after having initially read them as library books in the last 3 years.

I read Candide in French in high school but that was a long time ago!  I actually think I might give it another go once I finish my current French book.

I just caught up on the thread as I took my parents and my kids on a road trip to a nearby city to go to the agricultural fair (my dad really wanted to go for some reason).  My kids had a blast - my parents, not so much (they get tired very easily as they are 75+ and I don't think they realized exactly what an ag fair would encompass.  It was exactly what I expected so I was able to prep the kids ahead of time which helped them have a good time (that and the fact that there was a pool at the hotel so they went swimming for about 2 1/2 hours a day).  However between navigating the needs of my parents and my kids I got very little reading done.

I finished listening to Looking Backward by Edward Bellamy, which I heard about on here.  It wasn't my favourite - I felt like I was being lectured most of the time but it passed the time while I walked to work and back.  My choices for audiobooks on the one service we get at our public library are extremely limited.

I also read Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt, which was loaned to me by a friend.  Set in the in the far suburbs of NYC in the 1980s and focusing on the relationship between a young teen and her gay uncle who dies of AIDS.  I never got into this one as I didn't find the character's motivations and actions that relatable or realistic.  I like the idea behind the book but as written it didn't do anything for me.

And then when I got back from the trip I picked up a couple of holds at the library and one of them was Evicted by Matthew Desmond.  Well.  I finished this in under 12 hours.  This is the kind of book I find riveting.  A great blend of sociological narrative and some analysis at the end, along with one possible solution to the way out of the housing crisis in America.   Given the other authors (Rebecca Skloots, Jesmyn Ward, Adrian Nicole Leblanc) who have lauded this book, I'm not surprised to have liked it, and there were a few I hadn't heard of so I'm going to look for their works soon.

I also started Underground Airlines and am halfway through it but had to return it to the library yesterday as it was recalled.  I've put it back on hold though as I'm intrigued by the book even though it's not the typical type of story I read.

• Like 9

Yes, please.  I am sorry if I failed to remember the correct month!

Thank you, Robin.

Not a problem and glad I asked.  We'll armchair travel along the silk road for April. Lots of rabbit trails to follow.   :thumbup1:

• Like 8

Not a problem and glad I asked.  We'll armchair travel along the silk road for April. Lots of rabbit trails to follow.   :thumbup1:

This will also give people who want to read The Razor's Edge an opportunity to acquire a copy of the book.  I'll plan on having background material on Maugham for the 5/7 post and then discuss the book within my posts on the following Sundays in May. 

April already?  Where is 2017 going??

• Like 8

Amy, I finally read Amberwell https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/27205699-amberwell today so I'm ready for your review. :) Sorry it took me so long. I enjoyed it! I think it is more of a saga than most. Certainly different than the other DE Stevenson I read because I found Mrs. Tim to be humorous as well as realistic......

• Like 6

Amy, I finally read Amberwell https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/27205699-amberwell today so I'm ready for your review. :) Sorry it took me so long. I enjoyed it! I think it is more of a saga than most. Certainly different than the other DE Stevenson I read because I found Mrs. Tim to be humorous as well as realistic......

Yay. 

I absolutely enjoyed it but felt it was a bit bittersweet. The depiction of the war and the death and hardships faced by Britain felt very real. I cried a few times. DE Stevenson is so wonderful at describing people and making them come alive. I wonder if she knew people like the parents in life because they were just horrid. Almost abusive in how absentee they were from their children's lives. Was that just thing in that era? 

It felt unfinished and I want to know how things ended for Roger, Anne, Nell, and Tim but the sequel is almost impossible to find. 

This will also give people who want to read The Razor's Edge an opportunity to acquire a copy of the book.  I'll plan on having background material on Maugham for the 5/7 post and then discuss the book within my posts on the following Sundays in May. 

April already?  Where is 2017 going??

What?  It's 2017? Where did 1999 go?!?!?!

• Like 8

What?  It's 2017? Where did 1999 go?!?!?!

If it's 1999, we have Y2K to look forward to again.

I was here then.  Who else was?  Do you remember that the boards reverted back to 1903?

ETA: It's a little scary to think I've been on the WTM boards for at least 18 years.  My relationship here is now old enough to drive and to vote.  Give me a few years, and it will be old enough to drink!

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 6

Yay.

I absolutely enjoyed it but felt it was a bit bittersweet. The depiction of the war and the death and hardships faced by Britain felt very real. I cried a few times. DE Stevenson is so wonderful at describing people and making them come alive. I wonder if she knew people like the parents in life because they were just horrid. Almost abusive in how absentee they were from their children's lives. Was that just thing in that era?

It felt unfinished and I want to know how things ended for Roger, Anne, Nell, and Tim but the sequel is almost impossible to find.

I think it was the time and the class the parents perceived themselves to be. I think there was just enough of a social climbing element to their (particularly the mother) lifestyle that it made them even worse. Remember people commonly sent their children to boarding school at really young ages etc. This family didn't send the girls but that was more cheapness than love.

• Like 5