Menu

Shabby Scholé Weekly Soirée ~Nature Study~ 3/26/17

Ah, the early childhood years! Long days in the fresh air...nature journal in one hand, a bouquet of wildflowers in the other....toads in pockets, bugs in jars...sweetness and light and wonder....

Fast forward to the high school years with the college admissions process looming....

:willy_nilly:    :zombiechase:  :boxing_smiley:  :banghead:

Nature study suddenly doesn't seem all that relevant...

Thankfully there are many ways to incorporate nature study into the high school years, even with teens that would much rather be in front of screens. More on that in a bit...

How are you incorporating nature study into the high school years? What are your struggles or obstacles? Any great resources you'd like to share?

Springtime is the perfect time to take a fresh look at nature studies. High school is the perfect time to take nature studies deeper. 

Anyone up for a 30-Day Nature Studies Challenge?

What is Shabby Scholé? 

Shabby Scholé Weekly Soirée 

• Like 5

Oh man, you're playing my song. I had such great plans for a science credit incorporating nature study this year, and so far it has, um, not gone according to plan. Partly because of health issues that have put us behind in credit hours, partly because of an unusually wet and mucky winter - that excuse no longer holds - and partly because of a lack of interest on dd's part and, I don't know, inertia on mine?

Anyway, I'm still going to try to pull it off now that it's spring, but I'm all-in for inspiration, challenges, etc.  What a timely thread.

(I've been lurking some on Shabby Schole the last couple of weeks, just haven't been able to summon the focus to post, but I've really been appreciating the discussion I've caught. Bravo!)

• Like 5

My plan/goal is to incorporate nature studies over last three years of high school and role it into an environmental systems (or environmental science) credit. (Or half credit, depending on how much we get done.) I plan to do guided hikes at nature centers, field trips to wetlands, nature study in our garden, etc. I have several nature/environmental science books I hope to have DS read over the high school years and a textbook to make it a bit "more."

We are studying biology this year (nine path grade) so any nature study has been a part of biology credit. DS struggles with writing and drawing (bc of mild cerebral palsy) so his biology lab book is a bit unusual. Part lab book, part nature study with photographs. I just sat down the other day to look through it and realized how neat it has turned out. He has photos of mushrooms in the wild, photos of spore prints, photos of mushroom section under the microscope, etc.

• Like 4

My plan/goal is to incorporate nature studies over last three years of high school and role it into an environmental systems (or environmental science) credit. (Or half credit, depending on how much we get done.) I plan to do guided hikes at nature centers, field trips to wetlands, nature study in our garden, etc. I have several nature/environmental science books I hope to have DS read over the high school years and a textbook to make it a bit "more."

We are studying biology this year (nine path grade) so any nature study has been a part of biology credit. DS struggles with writing and drawing (bc of mild cerebral palsy) so his biology lab book is a bit unusual. Part lab book, part nature study with photographs. I just sat down the other day to look through it and realized how neat it has turned out. He has photos of mushrooms in the wild, photos of spore prints, photos of mushroom section under the microscope, etc.

This sounds really cool and might be something we can do. Nature study has always been something I want to do, but never get around to. Ours is more accidental nature study, like, "hey, what ate the chickens?" and then we learn about tracking and scat identification........probably not what CM had in mind. (Although now dd and I are experts at figuring out which predator took out a flock member.) 

Dd wants to pursue photography though and a friend is giving us their old DSLR tomorrow. She said she wants to mainly concentrate on nature shots right now, so this would be perfect as we're doing biology anyway and it's not 110 outside for a few more weeks. 

My biggest struggle with nature study here is it's HOT and miserably humid for a huge portion of the year. We have to be outside working with the animals anyway and by the time I'm done, I'm DONE. I'm hot and tired and I just want the A/C. So the kids get plenty of running around time while I'm working on something, but doing anything purposeful as far as identification or journaling simply hasn't happened here. Looking forward to reading others' responses and maybe I can be inspired! :) 

This sounds really cool and might be something we can do. Nature study has always been something I want to do, but never get around to. Ours is more accidental nature study, like, "hey, what ate the chickens?" and then we learn about tracking and scat identification........probably not what CM had in mind. (Although now dd and I are experts at figuring out which predator took out a flock member.)

Dd wants to pursue photography though and a friend is giving us their old DSLR tomorrow. She said she wants to mainly concentrate on nature shots right now, so this would be perfect as we're doing biology anyway and it's not 110 outside for a few more weeks.

My biggest struggle with nature study here is it's HOT and miserably humid for a huge portion of the year. We have to be outside working with the animals anyway and by the time I'm done, I'm DONE. I'm hot and tired and I just want the A/C. So the kids get plenty of running around time while I'm working on something, but doing anything purposeful as far as identification or journaling simply hasn't happened here. Looking forward to reading others' responses and maybe I can be inspired! :)

I get it about the heat. I am in Texas, too. We tend to do nature studies October through May or June and on vacations. LOL

I have water and soil sample kits, which can somewhat be used year round. (Run out, collect a sample and back into the a/c.) I am really wanting DS to do an ongoing study of local ponds - testing the water, maybe counting turtles as part of the turtle watch program. (We attending training on that at a nature center last year.)

I also collect dead insects that I find year round. We have a large garden and I often find dead moths and butterflies. We will bring those in and identify them, maybe photograph and/or look at parts of it under the stereo microscope.

Museums are great to visit when it is hot out. (So long as they aren't overrun with kids out of school!) The Houston science museum has a great natural history section.

My hope is that we continue nature studies through high school with the foundation we laid in younger years, while expanding the appreciation and conservation aspect into adulthood so DS is an educated citizen, if that makes sense. I think it is important for people to be aware of environmental issues in their community and beyond and to be educated voters, to know where their water comes from, to think about where the water on their property flows, etc.

• Like 4

If your region is uncomfortably warm during the day, how about night nature study?

Mothing is an excellent activity. You can leave your porch light on (if it has a regular incandescent or fluorescent bulb, not an antiâ€bug bulb or an LED) and moths will be attracted to the light and land on your siding. Step outside and observe, photograph, and make records of different species all year long. If you want to get really fancy, hang up a white sheet and get a regular light and a florescent bulb (don't look directly at this, shine it downward in its housing). It is also nice to learn the moth caterpillar's host plants and plant them to see if you can increase your moth populations.  Other insects such as lacewings, beetles, fishflies, and katydids will also come to your lights. If your sheet is in the grass (and not on your deck), toads may hop over to snack on your moths. Turn your lights off when you are done observing so the moths can get on with the business of feeding and/or making more moths.

Peterson's has an excellent moth guide:

https://www.amazon.com/Peterson-Field-Northeastern-America-Guides/dp/0547238487/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1490570691&sr=8-1&keywords=petersons+guide+to+moths

John Himmelman's Discovering Moths: Nighttime Jewels in Your Own Backyard

https://www.amazon.com/Discovering-Moths-Nighttime-Jewels-Backyard/dp/0892725281/ref=sr_1_45?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1490571151&sr=1-45&keywords=Himmelman+john

Douglas Tallamy's Bringing Nature Home to learn more about moth and butterfly host plants and wildlife friendly gardening:

https://www.amazon.com/Bringing-Nature-Home-Wildlife-Expanded/dp/0881929921/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1490571025&sr=8-1&keywords=Bringing+Nature+Home

Also ponds and forests are alive with noises at night, learning the frogs from their calls and teasing out the members of the insect chorus (crickets, katydids, etc.) is a nice night time activity.

Lang Elliot's general "A Guide to Night Sounds". This one is really nice because it includes natural history information, not just name of animal and call.

https://www.amazon.com/Guide-Night-Sounds-Nighttime-Amphibians/dp/0811731642/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1490571310&sr=1-1&keywords=A+Guide+to+Night+Sounds

Lang Elliot's The Songs of Insects includes a CD:

https://www.amazon.com/Songs-Insects-Wil-Hershberger/dp/0618663975/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1490570807&sr=8-4-fkmr2&keywords=Lang+Elliot+insect+sounds

Lang Elliot's The Calls of Frogs and Toads also includes a CD

https://www.amazon.com/Calls-Frogs-Toads-Lang-Elliott/dp/0811729680/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1490570923&sr=8-4&keywords=CD+amphibian+sounds

Another good activity book for when the hot sun goes down: Elizabeth Lawlor's Discover Nature at Sundown:

https://www.amazon.com/Discover-Nature-Sundown-ebook/dp/B001U898B8/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1490571687&sr=1-1&keywords=Lawlor+Discover+Nature+at+Sundown

Also: Night = Fireflies

https://www.amazon.com/Fireflies-Glow-worms-Lightning-Bugs-Identification/dp/0820348724/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1490571374&sr=1-2&keywords=Fireflies

And an infrared game camera installed in the backyard to see what mammals come and go on your property.

Edited by Kalmia
  • Like 6

I'm so glad you brought this up! Nature study with photographs is just as valid and worthy as nature study with sketches. Sometimes it's easy to get so caught up in some ideal vision of what nature study should be that we can't see the forest for the trees. (An appropriate phrase for a nature study thread...  ;) )

Speaking of photographs...

iNaturalist is a fantastic resource for those who would rather use a cell phone than a sketch pad. You can use iNaturalist for many things: identification, to find a citizen scientist project to join, to connect with other naturalists....

• Like 3

Oh man, you're playing my song. I had such great plans for a science credit incorporating nature study this year, and so far it has, um, not gone according to plan. Partly because of health issues that have put us behind in credit hours, partly because of an unusually wet and mucky winter - that excuse no longer holds - and partly because of a lack of interest on dd's part and, I don't know, inertia on mine?

Anyway, I'm still going to try to pull it off now that it's spring, but I'm all-in for inspiration, challenges, etc.  What a timely thread.

(I've been lurking some on Shabby Schole the last couple of weeks, just haven't been able to summon the focus to post, but I've really been appreciating the discussion I've caught. Bravo!)

Oh inertia, I know thee well...

Maybe we can plan to start a 30-day nature study challenge on April 1? (For anyone foolish enough join...  ;) )

• Like 3

Currently, our nature studies are about observation, drawing, and photographing. I want to get more into identification this coming year. We did an intense bird year about 4 years ago. We still carry those field guides with us and are able to identify a lot more birds and to just notice them from that year. That year we did the Christmas Bird Count Census with the Audobon Society, went to a few meetings, and did a scout project on helping birds along with birds being our main science through the Memoria Press and Apologia currics. Now that the kids are older they are doing different sciences. DD14 is in chemistry, and has to do that.  But I still try to get them out in nature and noticing as much as possible. 

High schooler likes photography. I have a rule about she has to sketch something in her journal when we go out specifically for nature study. That is as much about observation and can help her photography as well. We all set up our notebook page like the Clare Walker book, Keeping a Nature Journal, taught us. Then sketch something. We go to a local park often or do it on family trips to nature reserves and state parks.  DD12 is all about drawing. And she has such a hard time spelling, that even just the little bit of labeling and notes she does is always a help there too. We can focus on certain words that she uses often like "breeze" when she describes the weather. 

We started our newest journals last summer. We went out a couple of times a month on the school break, and less throughout the year for specific notebooking making days. But we averaged every couple of months since we did it on family trips. And now that it is spring we are getting out again to see the blooms coming in on the trees and looking for animal life and babies. 

So lots of fun. I plan to try to incorporate it a bit more next year. I am buying some books on trees and wildflowers hoping to increase our knowledge on that. I am not worried about incorporating it into any class, but if it became a focus of anyone's, I certainly would.  

Once my dd14 created a scrapbook page of her photography from our nature journeys that year and entered them into the state fair scrapbook contest. She won best in show for that. Now we have started trying her hand in the actual photography contests. 

• Like 3

:laugh:  What a brilliant way to incorporate nature study! Practical, relevant, and noteworthy. For some that would be way more fun than sketching a trillium. (Sorry about the chickens, though!)

Another idea for those that wilt at the thought of flowers and weather lore -- scanning the woods and fields for animal bones. iNaturalist bones and skulls  (Scroll down for pics of recent finds.)

• Like 2

I get it about the heat. I am in Texas, too. We tend to do nature studies October through May or June and on vacations. LOL

I have water and soil sample kits, which can somewhat be used year round. (Run out, collect a sample and back into the a/c.) I am really wanting DS to do an ongoing study of local ponds - testing the water, maybe counting turtles as part of the turtle watch program. (We attending training on that at a nature center last year.)

I also collect dead insects that I find year round. We have a large garden and I often find dead moths and butterflies. We will bring those in and identify them, maybe photograph and/or look at parts of it under the stereo microscope.

Museums are great to visit when it is hot out. (So long as they aren't overrun with kids out of school!) The Houston science museum has a great natural history section.

My hope is that we continue nature studies through high school with the foundation we laid in younger years, while expanding the appreciation and conservation aspect into adulthood so DS is an educated citizen, if that makes sense. I think it is important for people to be aware of environmental issues in their community and beyond and to be educated voters, to know where their water comes from, to think about where the water on their property flows, etc.

My ds is completely in bug fascination stage. He collects anything he finds. I hadn't even thought of letting him look at them under a microscope- that's a great idea. We're trying to hatch a praying mantis egg sack (or whatever it's called) at the moment. For a mom that hates bugs I'm feeling brave at the moment, lol! 

We do have a family membership to HMNS and go quite often for the school year. They have some cool labs for kids and I  signed dd up for one next month. I hadn't thought of that as being nature study either. I guess I need to think more outside the box than sitting out in the woods with a sketch pad! 

Of course bugs are nature! (and yuck!) I didn't list everything that I list under nature study in my record keeping journal. I just finished filling in last week's records and there was a lot that didn't even include me.  My sis took the kids camping last week for spring break. They hiked more than 2 hrs each day. They camped next to a lake. They observed lots of animals in the wild through a nature reserve. There wasn't the formal, let's make a page in our journals because mom says we haven't made one in awhile, aspect.  One took tons of photographs. One took her journal and drew in it. They found footprints and tried to identify them. They found fresh buffalo dung on a hike and knew they were close to one. Sure enough as they went over the next hill, there was a giant buffalo resting in the grass. So nature study was done. :) The fact that I make them learn a bit and record some is just to work on my specific objectives like drawing and identification and to keep a nice journal because I like them. Lots happens organically. This summer I plan on a unit study around a pond in our area. It is aimed at grades through 8 I think. I am sure my high schooler will get plenty out of it too if nothing more than time to work on pictures and enjoy God's creation.

• Like 2

:laugh:  What a brilliant way to incorporate nature study! Practical, relevant, and noteworthy. For some that would be way more fun than sketching a trillium. (Sorry about the chickens, though!)

Another idea for those that wilt at the thought of flowers and weather lore -- scanning the woods and fields for animal bones. iNaturalist bones and skulls  (Scroll down for pics of recent finds.)

We honestly have more nature than I would like!! Bobcats, raccoons, coyotes, skunks, possums.....pretty much everything that likes to eat chicken. We can hook you up on bone identification. If you ever want to see some real live predators, come on down!!

complete side tangent- I wish I could post the video here that we have of the bobcat that figured out how to eat all of the chicken he wanted. We set up a camera because we couldn't figure out how he was doing it. Turns out he figured out if he ran at the chickens while they were in the run, they would panic so badly they would fly out over the top (of a 8' fenced run)  and he would pick them off one by one. My poor husband had to race home from work and enclose the top thanks to a nearly hysterical wife. That cagey cat picked off six birds like that, and always of course, when we weren't outside to take a shot at him. We have also learned the hard way, that a possum can climb an 8' vertical wood wall and rip off hardware cloth to squeeze through a soffit and eat roosting chickens in a coop. Nature. It's a study all right! 

So, I have not done high school nature study.

But as my oldest especially has become older, I've found myself approaching nature study a little differently, it seems to get rolled into different areas.  A big one is simply working in the garden in a serious way - we do more with botany, insects, soil, and such that way than with anything else we do.  I haven't even had to plan lessons, because the work that needs to be done presents itself.  For example - we're shortly going to have to prune our young peach tree.  Or, as another topic, my daughter who is interested in sewing wants to dye some fabrics, which gets into all kinds of interesting questions around plant dye, chemistry, and so on.

The other thing is, while it may be a bit of a cop-out, there seems to be more interest in taking advantage of outside groups.  My daughter did an 8 week program for tweens and younger teens through the young naturalists club. It ran through the fall, they visited another habitat every week, and were focused on native plant species.  It worked really well - they had expert guides, and they really enjoyed working with the other kids.

I think the question of ow to relate it to high school credits is an interesting one.  My high school science was mostly inside, but I don't think that was actually ideal - it was making do with what we had.  When I was at university some of my science friends spent quite a lot of time in fieldwork. 

• Like 3

We live in the middle of the city and have possums. We once saw one walking across the telephone line up high in the sky like a squirrel. We didn't see him going up, so don't know how he did it. Just looked up to see his tail curling down off of it one night to realize it wasn't a squirrel. They can really go high when they want to!

• Like 2

If your region is uncomfortably warm during the day, how about night nature study?

Excellent suggestion! Thanks for the links! 

Astronomy is another nighttime nature study possibility. There are field guides and apps for the constellations and other sightings. Also, many areas have astronomy clubs and star parties. 

There are several astronomy related Citizen Scientist projects. Some are 100% on the computer, helping scientists sort through enormous amounts of data. Galaxy Zoo, for example.  It may not be what some view as the nature study ideal, but ordinary people have made some extraordinary findings on a few of these projects. 

• Like 3

High schooler likes photography. I have a rule about she has to sketch something in her journal when we go out specifically for nature study. That is as much about observation and can help her photography as well. We all set up our notebook page like the Clare Walker book, Keeping a Nature Journal, taught us. Then sketch something. We go to a local park often or do it on family trips to nature reserves and state parks.  DD12 is all about drawing. And she has such a hard time spelling, that even just the little bit of labeling and notes she does is always a help there too. We can focus on certain words that she uses often like "breeze" when she describes the weather. 

So fun to read how others are incorporating nature study!  I love the detail in the posts.

I need to get out my Clare Walker books again. Thanks for the reminder! 

Also, thanks for mentioning weather.  

March Madness is going on for CoCoRaHS. Community, Collaborative Rain, Hail & Snow Network is a weather related Citizen Scientist Project. (Note: There is a small fee involved to purchase the rain gauge (required) and other optional items. ) March Madness is the yearly volunteer drive, so it's a perfect time to join. You can join anytime, though.  :)

• Like 2

My ds is completely in bug fascination stage. He collects anything he finds. I hadn't even thought of letting him look at them under a microscope- that's a great idea. We're trying to hatch a praying mantis egg sack (or whatever it's called) at the moment. For a mom that hates bugs I'm feeling brave at the moment, lol! 

We do have a family membership to HMNS and go quite often for the school year. They have some cool labs for kids and I  signed dd up for one next month. I hadn't thought of that as being nature study either. I guess I need to think more outside the box than sitting out in the woods with a sketch pad! 

I guess so! It sounds like you're doing way more nature study than you realize!  :coolgleamA:

Kudos to you for being brave!  :thumbup1:

• Like 2

We honestly have more nature than I would like!! Bobcats, raccoons, coyotes, skunks, possums.....pretty much everything that likes to eat chicken. We can hook you up on bone identification. If you ever want to see some real live predators, come on down!!

complete side tangent- I wish I could post the video here that we have of the bobcat that figured out how to eat all of the chicken he wanted. We set up a camera because we couldn't figure out how he was doing it. Turns out he figured out if he ran at the chickens while they were in the run, they would panic so badly they would fly out over the top (of a 8' fenced run)  and he would pick them off one by one. My poor husband had to race home from work and enclose the top thanks to a nearly hysterical wife. That cagey cat picked off six birds like that, and always of course, when we weren't outside to take a shot at him. We have also learned the hard way, that a possum can climb an 8' vertical wood wall and rip off hardware cloth to squeeze through a soffit and eat roosting chickens in a coop. Nature. It's a study all right! 

:smilielol5:

(Sorry for the chickens!)

• Like 1

Excellent suggestion! Thanks for the links! 

Astronomy is another nighttime nature study possibility. There are field guides and apps for the constellations and other sightings. Also, many areas have astronomy clubs and star parties. 

There are several astronomy related Citizen Scientist projects. Some are 100% on the computer, helping scientists sort through enormous amounts of data. Galaxy Zoo, for example.  It may not be what some view as the nature study ideal, but ordinary people have made some extraordinary findings on a few of these projects. 

There are some other organizations, ionline and otherwise, that students could use for nature study.

There is the bird coubt, for example, and also an organization that does backyard mapping.

Another possibility is studying to get a HAM liscence.  That could be a little more expensive in terms of equipment, but there is also a lot of friendlinss among operators and many are interested in helping out young beginners.  A lot of areas have clubs.  The test itself requires some significant study.

• Like 1

So, I have not done high school nature study.

But as my oldest especially has become older, I've found myself approaching nature study a little differently, it seems to get rolled into different areas.  A big one is simply working in the garden in a serious way - we do more with botany, insects, soil, and such that way than with anything else we do.  I haven't even had to plan lessons, because the work that needs to be done presents itself.  For example - we're shortly going to have to prune our young peach tree.  Or, as another topic, my daughter who is interested in sewing wants to dye some fabrics, which gets into all kinds of interesting questions around plant dye, chemistry, and so on.

The other thing is, while it may be a bit of a cop-out, there seems to be more interest in taking advantage of outside groups.  My daughter did an 8 week program for tweens and younger teens through the young naturalists club. It ran through the fall, they visited another habitat every week, and were focused on native plant species.  It worked really well - they had expert guides, and they really enjoyed working with the other kids.

I think the question of ow to relate it to high school credits is an interesting one.  My high school science was mostly inside, but I don't think that was actually ideal - it was making do with what we had.  When I was at university some of my science friends spent quite a lot of time in fieldwork. 

Thanks for posting your approach to nature study and the idea that the work that needs to be done presents itself. Sometimes the idea that we need to construct a formal plan and get out the sketch pad is enough for the inertia to set it. (At least it is for me.) The examples you've given are an insightful glimpse into how your approach plays out in real life. Thanks for much for including them. They are not only creative and different, but it shows a way to get the all important buy-in from teens. Make it relevant and interesting to them. 

The 8-week young naturalist program is not a cop-out!  I highly recommend getting involved with these sorts of programs. Having access to experts who want to share their love of nature can spark new interests, nurture existing ones, and lead to connections within the naturalist community and to untold future opportunities. 

I find the idea of high school credit interesting as well. My ideal vision of high school would have included some credit for nature study, but as I work with the actual teen in front of me, it's been best for us to outsource most credit classes and for nature study to be a significant part of her extracurricular activities. 

Hopefully those who are using nature study for credit will chime in.

• Like 2

Of course bugs are nature! (and yuck!) I didn't list everything that I list under nature study in my record keeping journal. I just finished filling in last week's records and there was a lot that didn't even include me.  My sis took the kids camping last week for spring break. They hiked more than 2 hrs each day. They camped next to a lake. They observed lots of animals in the wild through a nature reserve. There wasn't the formal, let's make a page in our journals because mom says we haven't made one in awhile, aspect.  One took tons of photographs. One took her journal and drew in it. They found footprints and tried to identify them. They found fresh buffalo dung on a hike and knew they were close to one. Sure enough as they went over the next hill, there was a giant buffalo resting in the grass. So nature study was done. :) The fact that I make them learn a bit and record some is just to work on my specific objectives like drawing and identification and to keep a nice journal because I like them. Lots happens organically. This summer I plan on a unit study around a pond in our area. It is aimed at grades through 8 I think. I am sure my high schooler will get plenty out of it too if nothing more than time to work on pictures and enjoy God's creation.

Good example of something you can't plan! Nature study is often a matter of time in the field. We have to give time for things to happen, time to observe subtle changes, time to notice the dung so we can be prepared for the buffalo!

It's a tricky balance. Sometimes teens really only have a few extra minutes during their day, so sometimes I'm content just to have my teen stare out the (hopefully open) window for a few minutes. If that's every day, though, something needs to change. A walk, a bike ride....something.

There are emerging themes in the posts so far...

making time to be outside, camp, join programs, etc

letting the teen's interests guide the nature study path

recognizing what we're already doing and building on that in relevant, useful ways

being aware of the world around us -- (noticing the dung on a hike)

seizing opportunities (what ate the chickens?)

using whatever medium feels best (sketching, painting, photography, cell phones...)

ETA: bravery, willingness to step outside our routines and our comfort zones

Edited by Woodland Mist Academy
  • Like 1

We live in the middle of the city and have possums. We once saw one walking across the telephone line up high in the sky like a squirrel. We didn't see him going up, so don't know how he did it. Just looked up to see his tail curling down off of it one night to realize it wasn't a squirrel. They can really go high when they want to!

Nice observation of nature in the city! 

Speaking of cities...

Here are some citizen science ideas for city dwellers.

Citizen Science in the City

• Like 1

We're trying to hatch a praying mantis egg sack (or whatever it's called) at the moment. For a mom that hates bugs I'm feeling brave at the moment, lol! 

DS is working on his SCUBA certification this week. He told me he saw a shark and an eel today. I hadn't really thought about it as nature study until just now :)

Adding bravery to emerging themes...

• Like 2

There are some other organizations, ionline and otherwise, that students could use for nature study.

There is the bird coubt, for example, and also an organization that does backyard mapping.

Another possibility is studying to get a HAM liscence.  That could be a little more expensive in terms of equipment, but there is also a lot of friendlinss among operators and many are interested in helping out young beginners.  A lot of areas have clubs.  The test itself requires some significant study.

I would love to hear more about the HAM radio. What do the operators discuss? I'm not overly familiar with HAM radio. 

Yes, there are many organizations and studies to get involved with. Whatever the teen's interest, there's likely to be an organization and/or study. 

A few that I don't think are on the thread yet:

Project FeederWatch

Monarch Watch

Firefly Watch

• Like 2

I would love to hear more about the HAM radio. What do the operators discuss? I'm not overly familiar with HAM radio. 

Yes, there are many organizations and studies to get involved with. Whatever the teen's interest, there's likely to be an organization and/or study. 

A few that I don't think are on the thread yet:

Project FeederWatch

Monarch Watch

Firefly Watch

When they are talking on their radios?

There seem to be two kinds of conversations.

The first sort is based around trying to get contacts.  Each operator has a card that he sends out to people that he contacts.  Some contacts are rare, compared to where you live, so they are desirable.  These kinds of contacts don't have much conversation, in many cases, because there are so many people trying to make a contact, and sometimes the sound quality isn't great.

But other times, especially with people closer, there are conversations.  Often the weather, what they are up to, that sort of thing.  Also, talking about radio equipment. 

The tests in Canada and in the US are by level, I'm not sure how that's managed in the US.  But typically the tests cover the regulations around transmitting, operating/voice conventions, how the equipment and antennas work, and radio communications theory.

• Like 2

Nature study as a class is something that we don't really do. As a part of life, it happens a lot. We have chickens, ducks, house rabbits & cats. We have various wildlife that visit our suburban neighborhood. We also have a garden that we plant, harvest and preserve. So it's really something that is incorporated into our daily lives as we cook, take care of pets and go on walks.

• Like 2

Before this thread was started, I had already been contemplating our nature studies and how to incorporate more, as I really like the little bit of focus on it we have been doing over the past year. I had the Comstock Handbook of Nature Study checked out from the library. 

I just now used it for the first time with my dd12 with our regular nature drawing time. My high schooler was busy on bookwork, but I really liked using it, and I want to redo the "lesson" with her that I just did with dd12.  

The descriptive narratives in the book actually helped us to identify the parts of the flower much better than any field guide with diagrams did. It was the description as I read that helped her to follow the parts and find them more than anything. This is just one lesson, but it really made the "nature study" into an actual science lesson with her. She even mentioned how she had learned the parts of the flower in her science book, and this helped her to understand it better. It wouldn't hurt my dd14 to do more of science outdoors too. So far we had mostly focused on drawing and observation and discovery. I have been wanting to get more into identification like we did with birds years ago.  But I was thinking of it more for knowledge for the sake of knowledge and enjoying the outdoors. 

I thought field guides would be better. And they will be for hikes and carrying around. But the Comstock book might be a good one to own after all.  The lesson has to be planned or the readings take place after discovery. But that could work. Photographs could be taken. Drawings made in the field, then the readings could happen later if they weren't planned in advance. I am going to pick another lesson and do to see if I like it as well as I did this one, or if we just got lucky with a good one today.

Still don't know about using it as an actual class. High schooler has already taken biology with labs. But the idea of using it as an extracurricular is interesting. I always just thought of it as family time. But if enough time is put into it, why not list it for more information on what the student has spent time on. If we do as much as I would like over the next year, I just might do that. 

• Like 2

I'm so thankful for this thread! I'm going to check out some of the sites you all mentioned. 

My twins are in 9th grade and we are kind of going in all directions when it comes to nature study and incorporating it into "high school science." One of my daughters attended an oceanography sleep away camp the last two years (the other did archaeology). She got certified to scuba dive in 8th grade and we spend a fair amount of time snorkeling (we currently live at the beach). They have always done quite a bit with the local nature centers and turtle rescues. I always forget all the things they do until I sit down to write it out, but we essentially have just tried to take advantage of wherever we are currently living or traveling. We travel a lot and my kids have been to...I think 45 states. We usually camp and we always seek out the visitors or nature centers and participate in whatever they have going on. It's pretty amazing how much of what they've actually retained over the years was learned on the road. 

Our big adventure is that we leave in 4 weeks to thru-hike the Appalachian Trail! It will most likely take us around six months to complete. They've already been studying the history, flora, and fauna of the trail and they'll probably participate in a few citizen science type projects along the way. My daughter who is blogging thinks she's a comedian and is going to create a "poop page" to document all the scat she finds. She also wants to test the water quality along the way, while I'm not sure I want to know those results! ;) I'm trying not to schedule us too much ahead of time because it's such a huge physical undertaking and I don't want to add more stress. We will just see what kinds of opportunities present themselves. Our leg up is that they are already fairly interested in nature studies, so I'm sure they will get a lot out of this hike in that regard, no matter what we officially do. 

• Like 6

I'm so thankful for this thread! I'm going to check out some of the sites you all mentioned. 

My twins are in 9th grade and we are kind of going in all directions when it comes to nature study and incorporating it into "high school science." One of my daughters attended an oceanography sleep away camp the last two years (the other did archaeology). She got certified to scuba dive in 8th grade and we spend a fair amount of time snorkeling (we currently live at the beach). They have always done quite a bit with the local nature centers and turtle rescues. I always forget all the things they do until I sit down to write it out, but we essentially have just tried to take advantage of wherever we are currently living or traveling. We travel a lot and my kids have been to...I think 45 states. We usually camp and we always seek out the visitors or nature centers and participate in whatever they have going on. It's pretty amazing how much of what they've actually retained over the years was learned on the road. 

Our big adventure is that we leave in 4 weeks to thru-hike the Appalachian Trail! It will most likely take us around six months to complete. They've already been studying the history, flora, and fauna of the trail and they'll probably participate in a few citizen science type projects along the way. My daughter who is blogging thinks she's a comedian and is going to create a "poop page" to document all the scat she finds. She also wants to test the water quality along the way, while I'm not sure I want to know those results! ;) I'm trying not to schedule us too much ahead of time because it's such a huge physical undertaking and I don't want to add more stress. We will just see what kinds of opportunities present themselves. Our leg up is that they are already fairly interested in nature studies, so I'm sure they will get a lot out of this hike in that regard, no matter what we officially do. 

That is an amazing adventure! With documentation of it in the form of the webpage, participation in the citizen projects and with a camera and a journal and writing of some sort, that is the kind of thing I would definitely use as a class. 

We do all of the nature centers and reserves as forms of family vacation too. I have never desired to go to Disneyworld.  I would much rather camp and drive to National Parks or historical sites. My kids would probably like to have that option once in awhile, lol. But that's just not what we do. 

• Like 2

What does the SCUBA certification involve? 

He went to classes locally. It was three Saturdays, 9 to 3. From 9 a.m. to noon was classroom time and from noon to 3 p.m. was pool time.

Then, you have to do four open-water certification dives. That is what he is doing this week. He is in Florida with DH (who is a diver). I am home practicing my out-of-sight-out-of-mind skills...trying not to think about sharks and whatnot.

For the marine science camp that he is going to this summer at UNCW, you have to have your diving certification before you get there. Then you get an advanced open water certification while at the camp.

• Like 2

That's amazing- what a cool experience! 

When they are talking on their radios?

There seem to be two kinds of conversations.

The first sort is based around trying to get contacts.  Each operator has a card that he sends out to people that he contacts.  Some contacts are rare, compared to where you live, so they are desirable.  These kinds of contacts don't have much conversation, in many cases, because there are so many people trying to make a contact, and sometimes the sound quality isn't great.

But other times, especially with people closer, there are conversations.  Often the weather, what they are up to, that sort of thing.  Also, talking about radio equipment. 

The tests in Canada and in the US are by level, I'm not sure how that's managed in the US.  But typically the tests cover the regulations around transmitting, operating/voice conventions, how the equipment and antennas work, and radio communications theory.

Thanks! This is helpful. We've considered doing HAM radio, but I'm not sure I understand the end goal exactly. It sounds like it's an end goal in itself -- learn HAM radio to do HAM radio and discuss doing it. I'm still a little fuzzy on the "it". Making contact with someone else, just to have done it? Like keeping record of birds seen as a personal hobby? Although, it's my understanding HAM radio has been useful in emergencies when cell phones are down, so it an be quite useful. But how often is it useful beyond just discussing it? I'm trying to weigh the pros an cons of taking the time to get certified etc. It sounds like typically people use it as sort of a chat room about HAM radio? Is that a correct understanding? 

Sorry for the muddled thoughts. 

• Like 1

I hope you'll let us know how it goes! Such an adventure!!

He went to classes locally. It was three Saturdays, 9 to 3. From 9 a.m. to noon was classroom time and from noon to 3 p.m. was pool time.

Then, you have to do four open-water certification dives. That is what he is doing this week. He is in Florida with DH (who is a diver). I am home practicing my out-of-sight-out-of-mind skills...trying not to think about sharks and whatnot.

For the marine science camp that he is going to this summer at UNCW, you have to have your diving certification before you get there. Then you get an advanced open water certification while at the camp.

I had wondered if you were as nonchalant as your first post sounded! 

:ohmy:  :svengo: was my reaction to your post.  :laugh:

Hope the week goes well for him. Thanks for the explanation! 

• Like 2

My dd took a mini-nature course last spring and LOVED it. They studies local animals and fish, and learned how to identify local trees. We'd done this in the elementary years, but it was a great time to review, as we'd both forgotten a lot. Plus they went into more depth in the course.

All winter, I've been taking the dc cross-country skiing. So we've gotten out in nature a lot, but have been speeding by the trees and birds.

I also went snowshoeing a lot and started taking photos of the trees, and ice and snow formations. It was a wonderful way to study nature. I also went back to the same little forest every Saturday throughout the entire winter, so I got to know several of the trees quite well, and I could see some changes from freezing rain damage, etc.I shook snow off some of the bushes when I thought they might sustain damage by getting too heavy. I began feeling quite protective of my trees - especially the young ones.  It was really fascinating.  I guess it was a forestry management type of experience. Too bad I didn't have any of the dc with me. Great idea for the future, though.

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 3

Thanks! This is helpful. We've considered doing HAM radio, but I'm not sure I understand the end goal exactly. It sounds like it's an end goal in itself -- learn HAM radio to do HAM radio and discuss doing it. I'm still a little fuzzy on the "it". Making contact with someone else, just to have done it? Like keeping record of birds seen as a personal hobby? Although, it's my understanding HAM radio has been useful in emergencies when cell phones are down, so it an be quite useful. But how often is it useful beyond just discussing it? I'm trying to weigh the pros an cons of taking the time to get certified etc. It sounds like typically people use it as sort of a chat room about HAM radio? Is that a correct understanding? 

Sorry for the muddled thoughts. 

Well, it is useful in an emergency, especially now with so many other networks being digital.  There are emergency services associated which I don't know much about.

Some people love to collect the cards from far off locations.  Other people really like to chat about regular stuff.  Some are really into getting better equipment, building radios, and so on.

Most areas have groups, and meetings, they can be useful if you are looking to get a sense of what it would be like before investing in it.

• Like 2

My dd took a mini-nature course last spring and LOVED it. They studies local animals and fish, and learned how to identify local trees. We'd done this in the elementary years, but it was a great time to review, as we'd both forgotten a lot. Plus they went into more depth in the course.

All winter, I've been taking the dc cross-country skiing. So we've gotten out in nature a lot, but have been speeding by the trees and birds.

I also went snowshoeing a lot and started taking photos of the trees, and ice and snow formations. It was a wonderful way to study nature. I also went back to the same little forest every Saturday throughout the entire winter, so I got to know several of the trees quite well, and I could see some changes from freezing rain damage, etc.I shook snow off some of the bushes when I thought they might sustain damage by getting too heavy. I began feeling quite protective of my trees - especially the young ones.  It was really fascinating.  I guess it was a forestry management type of experience. Too bad I didn't have any of the dc with me. Great idea for the future, though.

Your username suits you well!  Thanks so much for sharing your winter nature study! 

Well, it is useful in an emergency, especially now with so many other networks being digital.  There are emergency services associated which I don't know much about.

Some people love to collect the cards from far off locations.  Other people really like to chat about regular stuff.  Some are really into getting better equipment, building radios, and so on.

Most areas have groups, and meetings, they can be useful if you are looking to get a sense of what it would be like before investing in it.

Thanks! Going to a meeting is a great suggestion and would probably help us decide. We'll look into it. 

• Like 1

Your username suits you well!  Thanks so much for sharing your winter nature study! 

I forgot to add, that it was also very interesting to note the changes in the snow over the weeks depending on the changing temps and amounts. Similar to tracking water levels in creeks and ponds, the snow goes through various cycles throughout the winter months. If you want to get into bugs, there are small ones in snow. So be careful eating old snow - and of course yellow snow!  :laugh:

You can also look for animal tracks and scat in the snow, as well as squirrel pee around trees. ;)

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 1

I forgot to add, that it was also very interesting to note the changes in the snow over the weeks depending on the changing temps and amounts. Similar to tracking water levels in creeks and ponds, the snow goes through various cycles throughout the winter months. If you want to get into bugs, there are small ones in snow. So be careful eating old snow - and of course yellow snow!  :laugh:

You can also look for animal tracks and scat in the snow, as well as squirrel pee around trees. ;)

This may be just intriguing enough to get some nature study resistant kids interested!

Shabby Scholé = Whatever it takes!  ;)

• Like 2

It just struck me that another way to do nature study is to volunteer at a wildlife or bird sanctuary, where they rescue orphaned or injured animals, then release them back into the wild. My dd does this at a wildlife sanctuary and really loves it. For minors, they don't deal with any animals that can contract rabies, so it's safer for the young volunteers. 

Dd cares for squirrels (red and grey), groundhogs, and turtles. Older volunteers with rabies shots deal with raccons, bats, skunks, etc. Dd also learns what natural foods the critters like to eat, and she'll collect bunches of the plants, seeds and flowers before a shift for the animals to enjoy.

We just discovered a wonderful TV series on Netflix called Wildlife SOS, which is all about a British wildlife rescue centre. 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 2

Maybe we can plan to start a 30-day nature study challenge on April 1? (For anyone foolish enough join...  ;) )

Just in case anyone was wondering about this...

I decided it was indeed foolish to think of starting a 30-day nature study challenge on April Fool's Day. Going into AP testing and finals season probably isn't a good time to start a challenge...unless it's a 30-day dealing with stress challenge... ;)

If there is enough interest, I might start a nature study challenge after AP exams and finals. 

Also, I gave lots of links to online citizen science projects, but never listed my favorite nature study books. I'll either bump this thread or start a nature study book thread in the upcoming weeks to discuss favorite nature study books. 

Thanks, everyone, for the great ideas! Feel free to keep adding! 

• Like 2

Speaking of nature study books....

I'm in the process of rearranging books and bookshelves. Earlier today I needed to do a quick adjustment to a wooden bookshelf I plan to use for field guides. I discovered that in a pinch, Anna Botsford Comstock's Handbook of Nature Study makes a good hammer!  :smash:   

• Like 1

Just in case anyone was wondering about this...

I decided it was indeed foolish to think of starting a 30-day nature study challenge on April Fool's Day. Going into AP testing and finals season probably isn't a good time to start a challenge...unless it's a 30-day dealing with stress challenge... ;)

If there is enough interest, I might start a nature study challenge after AP exams and finals. 

Also, I gave lots of links to online citizen science projects, but never listed my favorite nature study books. I'll either bump this thread or start a nature study book thread in the upcoming weeks to discuss favorite nature study books. 

Thanks, everyone, for the great ideas! Feel free to keep adding! 

I did have a fleeting thought if it was an April Fools joke.  I have end of year fever...maybe closer to summer :)

• Like 1

I've really been enjoying these threads!

I've never been really successful at nature study but we have had some good fits and starts. DD1 is in 11th gr this year and DD2 is in 7th, doing Biology and Life Science respectively. In a week or so, when the spring flowers are really out, we are going to go to one of our favorite areas of the state park and try and catalogue  the flowers we see.

We're also on a local Stream Team and go out a couple of times a year and survey a stream for critters and check water O2 content etc. I love it. I'm not organized about it though.

I got a book for my birthday that I'm really enjoying - "The Forest Unseen A Year's Watch in Nature." 

• Like 2